• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
In a damning indictment on the quality of posting on this forum none of you ***** have started a thread and yet the season is under way in the UAE. The county championship starts on April 10th. Lets hope for a dry and bright summer.

County Championship 1st division (Warwickshire, Somerset, Middlesex, Sussex, Nottinghamshire, Durham, Surrey, Derbyshire, Yorkshire)

County Championship 2nd division (Lancashire, Worcestershire, Kent, Hampshire, Essex, Glamorgan, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Gloucestershire)

Warwickshire and Hampshire were the dominant figures last year of county cricket. Warwickshire were clinical in winning the county championship and reached the final of the CB40 where Hampshire triumphed adding that to their T20 title. Lancashire and Worcestershire swapped places in the county championship with surprise division 2 winners Derbyshire and Yorkshire

Some players pushing hard for international selection this summer:
Varun Chopra, James Taylor, Rikki Clarke, James Harris, Toby Roland-Jones

Some young players without much experience to watch: Craig Overton, Shiv Thakor, Olly Stone, Alex Davies, Ben Foakes, Reece Topley

Some youngish players pushing for Lions selection: Sam Northeast, David Willey, Liam Dawson, Chris Wood, Keith Barker

The quickest bowlers in county cricket: Mark Turner, Stuart Meaker, Jamie Overton, Matthew Dunn, Tymal Mills

Some good young spinners to watch: There aren't any - well ok there are a few. Simon Kerrigan, Azeem Rafiq, Tom Craddock( A Leg spinner!!)

The BBC and the ECB have come together to give live radio/internet commentary of every game this season. BBC Sport - Cricket commentaries

Sky as usual will cover large parts of the county season. Sky Sports reveal 60 televised games - Domestic - News - ECB

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Took an hour to do the OP, then Howe sneaks in at the last minute with one that takes a couple of minutes. Ouch.

Merge time.

theegyptian

Warwickshire doing their normal thing. Pile on massive first innings score with Chopra scoring runs. Now Wright running through the MCC. Real good team these days Warwickshire.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Looking out my window it certainly doesn't feel like we're only a fortnight away from the cricket season

theegyptian

They played today at Taunton. The legends from Gloucestershire gave Somerset a good thrashing in a 50 over game.

Kieswetter and Buttler played with Kieswetter taking the gloves. Somerset have been non-commital on the issue so far.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
As I said in the close season thread about the two keepers at Hants, there are plenty of matches during the season and there's no reason why both shouldn't get plenty of time behind the sticks. Kieswetter to keep in 4 dayers and Buttler in the 40 and 20 over games, perhaps?

MCC doing rather better in the follow-on with a 100 for one of England's forgotten men, Joe Denly. 24 overs for Laurie Evans, a player who only sent down six overs in his previous 13 matches, looks odd though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I said in the close season thread about the two keepers at Hants, there are plenty of matches during the season and there's no reason why both shouldn't get plenty of time behind the sticks. Kieswetter to keep in 4 dayers and Buttler in the 40 and 20 over games, perhaps?

MCC doing rather better in the follow-on with a 100 for one of England's forgotten men, Joe Denly. 24 overs for Laurie Evans, a player who only sent down six overs in his previous 13 matches, looks odd though.
But why? CK isn't that good a 'keeper after years of doing it. Prior is doing quite well at tests, and should be for a while. CK scored serious runs last year in the Championship, let him go for a pure batting place, England are struggling there, let Jos keep for the future.

stumpski

International Captain
I was just talking about Somerset, not England - I haven't seen a lot of Buttler's keeping but is he good enough to do it week in, week out, in all three formats? He may not even want to do that.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
But why? CK isn't that good a 'keeper after years of doing it. Prior is doing quite well at tests, and should be for a while. CK scored serious runs last year in the Championship, let him go for a pure batting place, England are struggling there, let Jos keep for the future.
Yeah I think you make a decent point about CK trying to get in as a batsman. I have no issue with Somerset wanting Kieswetter to keep all formats, because I do think he is a better keeper, but a season full of runs is probably the only way for CK to get into the test side, because, lets face it, the keeper role is kinda shut for anyone else. Obviously being away from the gloves makes it easy to get runs for most, so I'm tempted to think CK should go for it.