• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Adwin

Cricket Spectator
Future England Team

Cook
Lees
Root
Ballance
W Rhodes
Tattersal
Bairstow
Bresnan
Josh Shaw
Azeem Rafiq
Matt Fisher

Ali Cook in there to keep the Yorkshiremen out of trouble.

12th Men - Leaning, Carver

Is incredible how many yorkshire players are in England, Lions , u19 and u17 at present.
It's disgusting how accurate that may just be!

91Jmay

International Coach
Peter Trego is having some season isn't he. I wouldn't mind him in an England ODI squad for down under. Like for like cover for Ravi in many ways.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Peter Trego is having some season isn't he. I wouldn't mind him in an England ODI squad for down under. Like for like cover for Ravi in many ways.
Had about 5 decent seasons running in various forms to be fair to him. If he played for a more fashionable county I bet he'd have played for England.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been terrible in the Championship in comparison though, and his bowling seems to have regressed pretty badly this year.

Jos kept today apparently, that situation gets curiouser & curiouser.

91Jmay

International Coach
Been terrible in the Championship in comparison though, and his bowling seems to have regressed pretty badly this year.

Jos kept today apparently, that situation gets curiouser & curiouser.
They have been rotating the gloves all season to be fair.

I think his bowling is still good enough to be comparable to Ravi to be honest, and his consistency this year has been amazing with the bat. 36 with the bat in T20 and 633* runs at 79* in YB40. As I said purely as an ODI player, he should really be in the squad.

grecian

They have been rotating the gloves all season to be fair.

I think his bowling is still good enough to be comparable to Ravi to be honest, and his consistency this year has been amazing with the bat. 36 with the bat in T20 and 633* runs at 79* in YB40. As I said purely as an ODI player, he should really be in the squad.
I just think it's a shame is bowling has gone off the boil at the same time as his batting seems to have hit another level. The Championship form has been a real downer for Somerset this year too, was the MVP last year.

The selectors won't pick him, so it's slightly irrelevant either way, particularly with the WC a while off. Whether they Should is another matter I suppose.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just think it's a shame is bowling has gone off the boil at the same time as his batting seems to have hit another level. The Championship form has been a real downer for Somerset this year too, was the MVP last year.

The selectors won't pick him, so it's slightly irrelevant either way, particularly with the WC a while off. Whether they Should is another matter I suppose.
I'd rather we play guys like him in the upcoming one day series than the test players. Been a hard summer and a huge winter to come. Let them put their feet up and try out a few deserving guys like Trego.

grecian

I'd rather we play guys like him in the upcoming one day series than the test players. Been a hard summer and a huge winter to come. Let them put their feet up and try out a few deserving guys like Trego.
Relegations battles are more important, IMHO.

grecian

Why wouldn't the selectors pick him? Age?
I just think his time his past really, they, rightly or wrongly, seem to look at next World Cups. They'll give the likes of Woakes or Stokes a go, possibly both.

My thoughts on Trego have often been ironic, but I do think his form could have easily got him a limited-overs game in the last few years. I don't think he was included in the provisional 30 for the Champions trophy, which was a bit silly I thought. So that would mean a big turn around.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Come on he's a good county pro. No more no less. Not a good enough bowler or batsman to make any impact in international cricket. It would be slightly embarrassing seeing him bat in the top 3 against Australia. **** look at the Yorkshire team today- It's a 2nd/3rd xi.You don't really get your technique tested smashing it around at taunton against the occasional good bowler. It was funny seeing him try and play Rankin in that T20 game a couple of weeks ago.

grecian

Come on he's a good county pro. No more no less. Not a good enough bowler or batsman to make any impact in international cricket. It would be slightly embarrassing seeing him bat in the top 3 against Australia. **** look at the Yorkshire team today- It's a 2nd/3rd xi.You don't really get your technique tested smashing it around at taunton against the occasional good bowler. It was funny seeing him try and play Rankin in that T20 game a couple of weeks ago.
I agree with some of the stuff you say, but TBH he's clearly done it against some decent bowlers this year, and they haven't all been at Taunton, clearly.

God, all runs counting for nothing at Taunton, never gets old.

grecian

Gawd Chyris Rushworth looks such a nothing bowler, yet he seems to keep taking wickets, very much the heir to Neil Killeen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trego probably is/was a good enough player overall to play for England - certainly better than a few that were tried - but he just never quite put it all together at once to give himself a niche role, which is what a player like him needs.

He's traditionally been a better performing First Class batsman than a limited overs batsman which is particularly unfortunate given batting is his primary skill and his player type was always only going to put him in the frame for ODIs. His bowling is certainly useful enough in one day cricket for someone who bats in the top seven but given the pace he bowls at and his general MO, there have always been doubts he'd be able to play the same role in international cricket.

He's always contributed to Somerset's season in one way or another but I just never felt he put it all together at once for long enough to be a genuine England chance - even now when he's picked up his run production in limited overs cricket to go with the fact that it's always been so dynamic, his bowling has really fallen away and he's become a CC passenger. The sum of the parts is good enough and has been for a long time but when you're picked for a set role a lot of the parts become irrelevant or at least mitigated and that's why he's never got there.

grecian

Well, whatever his limitations or otherwise, that in the context of Somerset's season was a pretty decent effort from Trego.

More importantly, for England, if they rest someone, Hale's 100 was well-timed.

91Jmay

International Coach
Why would he bat in the top 3 for England? Bopara bats 6, thats where I would bat Trego. I'm a Bears fan but Woaksie has been dreadful anytime he has been near England or England Lions recently. You can't just keep picking a guy who has been pretty miserable.

He has five other 50s and another hundred before this one today, so its a bit disingenuous to pretend this is an anomaly. 140 off 103 balls chasing 262 is a great knock, especially when you are 7 down at the end. Its a match winning innings.

He has also scored fifty at Headingly (against Sidebottom, Pyrah, Rashid) a ton at Leicester and a 35 and 42 at around a run a ball at Lords and Swalec.

I am not saying it is a travesty he has never been picked, and some very good points have been raised by Prince there.

Anyway, enough Trego! Somerset are waiting for a visa for Chawla. Not sure what to make of that signing tbh.

Last edited:

grecian

Why would he bat in the top 3 for England? Bopara bats 6, thats where I would bat Trego. I'm a Bears fan but Woaksie has been dreadful anytime he has been near England or England Lions recently. You can't just keep picking a guy who has been pretty miserable.

He has five other 50s and another hundred before this one today, so its a bit disingenuous to pretend this is an anomaly. 140 off 103 balls chasing 262 is a great knock, especially when you are 7 down at the end. Its a match winning innings.

He has also scored fifty at Headingly (against Sidebottom, Pyrah, Rashid) a ton at Leicester and a 35 and 42 at around a run a ball at Lords and Swalec.

I am not saying it is a travesty he has never been picked, and some very good points have been raised by Prince there.

Anyway, enough Trego! Somerset are waiting for a visa for Chawla. Not sure what to make of that signing tbh.
Could be a decent signing, we'll see a lot of spinners hacve done well for Somerset as over-seas players in the last couple of decades.

Chris Jordan has been really shocking since his early great start to the year, reverting to his mean?