• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So Sussex complete a resounding innings win over Yorkshire at Headingley. Pretty ruthless stuff. Quite a relief that the weather allowed a result, although Sussed did make some of their own luck in that regard by twice disposing of a decent Yorkshire batting line up in pretty short order, and consistently attacking with the bat.

Excellent debut with the ball for Chris Jordan. Could be yet another player whose career is rescued by the club from a downward slide. And the rest of the attack looks in pretty good nick as well. 5-fer for Magoffin today.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Couple of quick wickets for Durham just when it was starting to look like Somerset would get there easily. Meanwhile, Middlesex seam to be costing home against Notts.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
****ing rain. Got a nasty feeling the whole day will be washed out at the Rose Bowl.

Kieswetter still there I see, could be a special innings if he gets them home.

Jarquis

I blame myself for this. Typed out a post about Onions being carted and then he got Hildreth before I pressed post.

Jarquis

If Worcs could clone Richardson they'd just pick 2 of him and 9 batsmen wouldn't they?

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bad luck Warwickshire, that would have been a comfortable innings or 10 wickets win. Those 20 rainy points against Derbyshire will be crucial in the end.

Still, I was amazed to discover that there was the 6th century stand in 12 games for Chopra and Westwood. The quality of the opening bowling stocks in the CC is going downhill it seems.

SeamUp

International Coach
Гурин;3053131 said:
Bad luck Warwickshire, that would have been a comfortable innings or 10 wickets win. Those 20 rainy points against Derbyshire will be crucial in the end.

Still, I was amazed to discover that there was the 6th century stand in 12 games for Chopra and Westwood. The quality of the opening bowling stocks in the CC is going downhill it seems.
Well here are the main seamers. Is it that bad ?

(Finn), Harris, Roland-Jones, (Onions), Tremlett, Dernbach, Meaker, Jordan, Magoffin, (Bresnan), Sidebottom, Brooks, Woakes, C.Wright, (Broad), Shahzad, Thomas, Kirby, J.Overton doesn't look that bad.

Any reason Moin Ashraf isn't getting in for Yorks ? Looked quite impressive from what I saw or is he just considered for limited overs for now ?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Well here are the main seamers. Is it that bad ?

(Finn), Harris, Roland-Jones, (Onions), Tremlett, Dernbach, Meaker, Jordan, Magoffin, (Bresnan), Sidebottom, Brooks, Woakes, C.Wright, (Broad), Shahzad, Thomas, Kirby, J.Overton doesn't look that bad.

Any reason Moin Ashraf isn't getting in for Yorks ? Looked quite impressive from what I saw or is he just considered for limited overs for now ?

Гурин is underestimating just how well both Westwood and in particular Chopra have batted imo. Conditions have not been easy for openers in county cricket in recent years and as you say in division 1 there are some good seamers and more often that not the counties have good 3rd and 4th seamers (whereas in the 2nd division there are normally good opening bowlers but then the 3/4th seamers are average).

Chopra and Compton have been the only two guys to make 1000+ runs in the last two seasons in the CC. Chopra has just churned out the runs and to my mind was unlucky not to pip Compton to the England openers spot. He seems to have continued his form into this season which is positive for England. Westwood is more average but when the guy at the other end is constantly scoring runs you're gonna make good starts often- Think Tres and Suppiah.

yes ashraf is still learning how to bowl in the 4 day game. Probably won't play too much 4 day cricket with Plunkett and Brooks coming in over the winter.

Incidentally good news for England and possibly Yorkshire is that Bresnan is back in their squad for the 'friendly' against Lancs starting tomorrow.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Гурин is underestimating just how well both Westwood and in particular Chopra have batted imo. Conditions have not been easy for openers in county cricket in recent years and as you say in division 1 there are some good seamers and more often that not the counties have good 3rd and 4th seamers (whereas in the 2nd division there are normally good opening bowlers but then the 3/4th seamers are average).

Chopra and Compton have been the only two guys to make 1000+ runs in the last two seasons in the CC. Chopra has just churned out the runs and to my mind was unlucky not to pip Compton to the England openers spot. He seems to have continued his form into this season which is positive for England. Westwood is more average but when the guy at the other end is constantly scoring runs you're gonna make good starts often- Think Tres and Suppiah.

yes ashraf is still learning how to bowl in the 4 day game. Probably won't play too much 4 day cricket with Plunkett and Brooks coming in over the winter.

Incidentally good news for England and possibly Yorkshire is that Bresnan is back in their squad for the 'friendly' against Lancs starting tomorrow.
Yep, I said that a bit tongue-in-cheek. Actually what's surprising is that Westwood is holding his own so well, Chopra has always been talented (if a bit erratic). I don't really believe that's so much easier if the other opener is a big scorer, for every example like the Suppiah one there are countless of lone openers constantly deserted by whoever their team put to open with them (in test as in fc cricket), so kudos to Westwood for turning his career around. I just hope for him that it is not just a flash in the pan (1 season could still mean only form/luck, let's see how they perform 2 years from now)