• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
50 (21) and out for Davies. Good knock but the crowd (? - 300, if that) have come, or maybe some of them have come, to see Ponting.

So of course it's Azhar at 3. Another one straight from the IPL. 220 on the cards here I'd have thought.
I was amazed that they got any play in. I live 15 minutes from the Racecourse and it had rained solid for 36 hours. An hour before the TV coverage kicked off it stopped and I was champing at the bit to get down there. The missus basically told me that she wasn't bothered because it was going to lash it down again later. When play got under way I was (very quietly) calling her all the names under the sun. As it was, she was right and I was wrong.

stumpski

International Captain
Might be a bit more play at Hove but I'd be surprised if we get much more than a glorified Twenty20. Inspection at 6.45.

The introduction of Lyth at Taunton seems to have been an inspired move - he's taken his career tally of wickets from three to five.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shivwatch....

Chanderpaul finally acclimatises himself to the Derbyshire winter, puts his hand warmers back into the snowdrift after five barren weeks when he had barely had the opportunity to get the ball off the square and he marches out to bat to face the legend that is Chris Tremlett.

Tremlett, you may recall, was the unfortunate bowler who came within a stubborn bail of a hat-trick against Bangladesh back in 2005. Legend has it that Mohammed Ashraful, the happy-go-lucky banger learned the art of marking his crease from Chanderpaul, using a bail and basically wellying it with the back of his bat. What people didn't spot was the small piece of chutty that he used to glue the bail back in place.

But I digress.

Today, Tremlett blew away the walking wicket that is Chesney Hughes, one of the few men to see his average descend from 270 to single figures in the space of a single season, first ball. The Derbyshire faithful (a guy called Sid who had taken shelter in the toilets during last night's downpour, fallen asleep and been so rudely awoken this afternoon by the rattle of leather on Ches's wicket) booed loudly when Madsen walked out to take Hughes's place. He wouldn't have long to wait though to see the world's greatest cricket-playing decapod crustacean - after all, at the other end, Islington's finest, Billy Godleman, was making Tim Linley look good.

The inevitable happened - Zander de Bruyn snaffled the chance and God's Own County were two down.

Which Shiv would we see today, the rather pathetic figure of late who was wont to rush from team-mate to team-mate borrowing jumpers from all and sundry before shuffling out to the middle, blocking for a couple of minutes then seeking the sanctuary of the dressing-room for the remainder of Derbyshire's innings (usually 10 minutes) or the proud, magnificent septuagenarian who in the last century used to flash the ball to the boundary for the Windies?

It was, surprisingly enough, the latter. At the time of writing, Chanderpaul (89*) and Madsen (72*) are flaying the Surrey 'bowlers' to all parts. Surrey, for their part, seem keen on both batsmen getting to a hundred before stumps as they have recently introduced Gareth Batty into the attack.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
And they're still playing! Have they got the lights on there?

Chanders into the 90s now.
I'm not at the game - just made that rot up from the Cricinfo scorecard (giving away trade secrets here - shhhhh, don't let on). I'm pretty sure the lights will be on, because where I live it's "A bit black over Bill's mother's", as we say. In fact, it looks as though it's going to wazz it down any minute.

Going down on Saturday though to see if Derbyshire can avoid the usual innings defeat.

stumpski

International Captain
67th first-class 100, and I can only think of two batsmen still playing - one of them also on the field - who've made more.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Simple market forces at play.
I'm still not sure how to feel about the fact that when I stickied the Big Bash thread last season to make a point, no-one questioned the decision at all. Maybe if someone creates a separate Friends Life T20 thread this year and I sticky that I'll get my much-needed fix of mischievous rebellion.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shocking innings from Elgar by what the BBC commentator was describing. Came out cow corner slogging and then got an absolutely shocking delivery which he belted straight down Rashid’s throat.

God knows what Lewis Gregory was doing up at 3 though. Highest score in all three formats over the course of 36 innings is 48. Somerset issue seems to be they have too many bogus all-rounders and not enough real batsman or bowlers. Craig Meschede is another one of these cricketers.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
haha at the guy in the crowd catching the ball in one hand whilst keeping the beer in the other. nice tekkers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm still not sure how to feel about the fact that when I stickied the Big Bash thread last season to make a point, no-one questioned the decision at all. Maybe if someone creates a separate Friends Life T20 thread this year and I sticky that I'll get my much-needed fix of mischievous rebellion.
Just sticky this thread, with the Ashes subbie there'll be a weird lack of sticky threads in CC come July.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Last nights game was quite interesting with regards to England.

Chopra looks someway from being a good ODI player and shouldn;t be pushing anyone anytime soon for the England ODI team. Doesn't really hit the ball that cleanly and isn;t great at rotating the strike. Doesn't seem to play the sweep and looks to have limited options. On this showing I'd say his only chance is in test cricket. James Taylor who I haven't been a great fan of is a much better OD player - has more scoring options, runs well, rotates the strike and hits the ball a little cleaner imo.

Jordan looks like a prospect. Bowls mid 80's, took a fantastic catch at first slip and can bat and finally is injury free and getting a good run . I'd be surprised if he doesn;t tour with lions this winter (i dunno he might decide he wants to play for WI instead)

Rankin's action and runup looks a little more controlled and like his bowling will be a little less erratic. He's not really a serious contendor as a OD player as he is still a bit too erratic. I think though if he stays injury free to the end of the season he will take a load of wickets and could easily go on the ashes tour. Bowls real quick and is real awkward to face a bit like Harmison but is way too injury prone.