Page 42 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: **Official English County Cricket 2013**

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    It honestly alarms me how dependent on about 3 players for most of our runs at Yorkshire.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    It honestly alarms me how dependent on about 3 players for most of our runs at Yorkshire.
    At least you aren't relying on an aging bowling all-rounder for all your runs
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Or move to Slurry. There wickets and overs count double. Finish things off with a South African background.
    Give Tremlett couldn't even get in the Surrey First XI first game of the season, you think Wood would play for England if he moved to Surrey? Would have to get on the park first.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Give Tremlett couldn't even get in the Surrey First XI first game of the season, you think Wood would play for England if he moved to Surrey? Would have to get on the park first.
    Given that the first England team of the season isn't likely to include a single Surrey player, that whole "there are too many Surrey players in the England team" thing is a bit out of date, isn't it?

The rest of you, feel free to go on hating.

The only Surrey players who have played tests recently (last few years) that I can think of, and by all means inform me if I'm forgetting people, are Chris Tremlett and Kevin Pietersen. The former played tests while he was at Hampshire, and was England's best bowler when he got his second stint as a Surrey player. The latter had already been our best batsman in the last decade when he signed for Surrey. Meaker and Dernbach have played ODI's, probably undeservedly so given their List A records, but they're not that bad. There have been far worse representatives of England in recent times. It seems a big CW thing to just get one or two players to hate on and talk them up to be the worst thing for English cricket since Gavin Hamilton. I personally think Meaker was unlucky not to play in the test at Nagpur, since it was obvious Bresnan wasn't right at the time. And then there's the case of Steve Davies, who has to be one of the unluckiest England cricketers in recent times. Stuck behind a brilliant wicketkeeper batsman in the test side, and constantly shafted for poorer alternatives in the one day game.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 07-05-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Given that the first England team of the season isn't likely to include a single Surrey player, that whole "there are too many Surrey players in the England team" thing is a bit out of date, isn't it?

The rest of you, feel free to go on hating.
    None in the CT squad either. Although Surrey have been complete turd in the 40 over stuff last few years haven't they. Think they got the spoon in their group in 2011 or something.

None in the CT squad either. Although Surrey have been complete turd in the 40 over stuff last few years haven't they. Think they got the spoon in their group in 2011 or something.
    Didn't they win it in 2011?

I missed the final taking my daughter up to Sheffield.

Scaly is just a typical chip-on-the-shoulder northerner I think. Never mind.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    But Dernbach.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    But Dernbach.
    I'd be happy if he didn't play a single game for England this season. I'd expect him to take 60 wickets in the Championship.

Haterz gonna hate, as they say.

Can't wait for Dernbach to play Tests in a few years and take poles.

People who argue the only reason Dernbach was ever picked for England is because he plays for Surrey are so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Scaly is just a typical chip-on-the-shoulder northerner I think. Never mind.
    Let's not say things we can't take back
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

People who argue the only reason Dernbach was ever picked for England is because he plays for Surrey are so boring.
    Indeed, if you're trying to argue against Dernbach and his county is all you've come up with then you're not being very observant
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 07-05-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Yeah sure, Dernbach playing for Surrey is not an issue, him being a terrible ODI bowler is.

Like I said, Dernbach is lucky to have played as many ODI's as he has, but it really isn't that hard to see why he got games. Death bowling has always been a problem for England, and along came a guy who could bowl quick, make use of reverse swing and had a decent slower ball. He didn't even start to badly either. He's not particularly accurate, and I'm not sure about whether he's the smartest tool in the shed, but he does have the skills to potentially be a decent one day bowler. It's something theegyptian pointed out after the World T20. His performances have been poor, but someone who can clock such high speeds and be potentially so useful is always going to be preserved with longer. It's also worth noting that Dernbach hasn't been in a full strength ODI side since October 2011 in India. People always seem to forget they're slagging off a guy who's probably 6th or 7th in the pecking order at the moment for quicks in the one day team.

Besides, I hardly ever hear people listing alternatives. What would be everyones top 8 or so ODI seam bowlers?

Thread Information