• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When are Leicestershire going to stop batting Thakor at 7?
Well they didn't bowl him at first change this game so it's probably a step in the right direction to realising he's in fact not a bowling allrounder and instead one of the best batsmen.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Copeland finally finding his batting at First Class level over the last Shield season has made him such a incredibly useful domestic cricketer. Many county deals lie in his future.
Has he got British blood? He only played 3 tests so he won't be able to get past home office via the international cricket route from next season (McDonald currently can't get past home office for the same reason)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Qualification by birth or residence usually goes out of the window once you play for one of the big boys, doesn't it? I expect it'll be 2015 before he's not classed as an overseas player regardless.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Has he got British blood? He only played 3 tests so he won't be able to get past home office via the international cricket route from next season (McDonald currently can't get past home office for the same reason)
Ahh true, hadn't thought of that. I have no idea what his passport status is.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Warks 89/7 now. Absolute shellacking.

Interesting chase looming at TB. Backing my local boy Gurney to get the job done.

Spikey

Qualification by birth or residence usually goes out of the window once you play for one of the big boys, doesn't it? I expect it'll be 2015 before he's not classed as an overseas player regardless.
I'm not talking about playing as a local. I'm just saying from next year the only way Copeland will be able to get past home office and get a county deal even as an overseas player is if he's got a British passport (Or possibly a passport from any EU country? I guess that's how Henriques got past HO the other year). He'd still have to play as an overseas player if he wants to remain playing in Australia. (Joe Burns will be doing that later this summer. He gets past home office via his parents, but is playing as an overseas player)

Spikey

So, what exactly is the point of all this home office stuff?
It was related to the whole Kolpak situation and getting more young england players into county and all that stuff

BBC Sport - Cricket - ECB wins overseas player battle
BBC SPORT | Cricket | Counties | Kolpak numbers could be slashed

So in that regard, it's been a massive success. But it's also, perhaps unintentionally, limited the quality of international cricketers counties can get. Trent Copeland is basically the perfect overseas player for a county to get, particularly given he ain't going to the IPL anytime soon.

Spikey

Also Northants should probably look into signing Copeland for the rest of the season. He's supposed to be going home when the T20's start

stumpski

International Captain
Warks 89/7 now. Absolute shellacking.

Interesting chase looming at TB. Backing my local boy Gurney to get the job done.

29-3 now, pretty much done and dusted. Solanki has been a disappointment and the less said about Roy the better. Wonder if it's worth a shot with Davies opening and Wilson taking the gloves, not sure it would help Steve's prospects in the long term though.