• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Woodster

International Captain
Didn't realise it was as low as 53 these days. He doesn't have a batting position in the OD game really. He doesn't bat lower than 6 but it's all to do with when the wickets fall. If Somerset were 200/1 with 10 overs left then I'm pretty sure they'd send Jos in next for example.
Yes absolutely he's be promoted when the situation dictates, but I also share the feeling that ultimately he can be much better than just a last 10/15 overs man.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Dernbach cleaning out Hales. Hales proving the selectors right with all these low scores in the 4 day game. Could be some wickets today given the rain we've had overnight and yesterday.

theegyptian

Happy that they've gone with Gregory over Barrow.
I agree. Barrow doesn't really warrant a place on past form. Still though Buttler, Trego and Gregory at 5,6 and 7 all seem one spot too high. Will be important to make use of the toss today.

theegyptian

Must be big question marks against him now

Sitting out one game after 2 hit outs is understandable but not 2 plus one-dayers, etc
yes he's got a problem if he wants to play for england this summer. Everything that has come out of surrey is that he is fit, just not selected. Doesn't help that they've been playing 2 frontline spinners in home games.

My guess is he's come back and he's rocking it down at 80mph without a lot of bite. Possibly all the injuries over the years have finally started to have a permanent effect on his bowling.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yes he's got a problem if he wants to play for england this summer. Everything that has come out of surrey is that he is fit, just not selected. Doesn't help that they've been playing 2 frontline spinners in home games.

My guess is he's come back and he's rocking it down at 80mph without a lot of bite. Possibly all the injuries over the years have finally started to have a permanent effect on his bowling.
If he is fit, then Surrey are doing him a massive disservice IMO.

Firstly, he cant be expected to hit top form immediately after returning from such a long layoff

Secondly, it's not as if his "replacements" are remotely in his class

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Firstly, he cant be expected to hit top form immediately after returning from such a long layoff

If they can't expect him to hit top form straight away, then they would be foolish to play him every game.

theegyptian

The three wicket takers for Somerset so far are 19,20 and 21. The wicketless other three are 31,35,36

No real point. Just an observation.

theegyptian

Essex signed Rutherford for the rest of the season as overseas player. Quiney hurt his arm/shoulder taking a catch last week and needs an opp.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Tbf, Dernbach, Linley and Meaker is a very good County attack. Obviously not in Tremlett's class when at the peak of his powers but if he's sending stuff down at 80% then it's fair enough. It's not like they're picking Paul Franks ahead of him.

Somerset (Y) Good to see Gregory bowling well.

stumpski

International Captain
Tbf, Dernbach, Linley and Meaker is a very good County attack. Obviously not in Tremlett's class when at the peak of his powers but if he's sending stuff down at 80% then it's fair enough. It's not like they're picking Paul Franks ahead of him.

Somerset (Y) Good to see Gregory bowling well.
And Surrey would argue that their priority is to field the attack most likely to win the game, rather than giving match practice to someone who's still a long way off playing for England again. Dernbach was hardly likely to be left out, Meaker took four today and Linley was as reliable as usual. Jon Lewis can't get in the side either and seems to be there mainly as a backup and mentor to the younger bowlers like Dunn and Jewell. I have no problem with Tremlett getting a go in a few one-dayers but this is one Surrey need to win.

Seems like only the weather can stop Kent this evening, certainly a mixed performance from them in the field but Worcs look pretty hapless.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just posted this in the tour thread, but thought I might as well post it here for anyone who might not read it.

I'm thinking of running a tipping comp for England's international season. Would include every international game this summer, just tipping the results and nothing else. Could do something like 5 for Tests, 3 for an ODI's and 1 for T20I's.

Would anyone be interested?
I'll create the thread tonight if anyone shows signs of interest.