• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

stumpski

International Captain
Yep, enjoyed watching that again.

Doesn't look as if they're going to get back on judging from the puddles forming on the covers. I imagine the scene at Leicester must be quite similar, only about 40 miles away isn't it?

We haven't had a drop here since well before dawn. Surrey could do with some rain though as they subside at the Oval.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, enjoyed watching that again.

Doesn't look as if they're going to get back on judging from the puddles forming on the covers. I imagine the scene at Leicester must be quite similar, only about 40 miles away isn't it?

We haven't had a drop here since well before dawn. Surrey could do with some rain though as they subside at the Oval.

Only day 3 so still their best chance is to score some runs, and work at that brittle Durham batting line-up.

Woodster

International Captain
That really was a fantastically innovative innings symptomatic of Buttler and the very modern day batsman. The Yorkshire bowlers will be disappointed by their execution of their deliveries on occasions, especially early on, but there's very little a team can do when Buttler displays such a range of strokes.

I wouldn't necessary share Bob Willis's view of getting him into the Test side asap, but he really is a very very special talent who should certainly be given his chance to be an integral part of the ODI and T20 side and I don't think it's essential in his case to score quite as heavily as Compton has had to to get into the Test side such is his breath taking potential. We have however been here with a similarly innovative player in Eoin Morgan, whose Test chance may come again soon, but for all his mouthwatering skills in the shorter forms, hasn't quite cracked it in the Tests just yet.

Where Buttler should bat is also an interesting point. Willis wants him much higher, Somerset and Buttler seem content with him coming in at 6ish and finishing the innings, hard to disagree after yesterday. Personally I don't see him batting too much higher than that as his development continues, perhaps coming in at five may suit equally, even if three early wickets are lost.

From what I've seen he is certainly a precious talent who should go a very long way.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be leaving him at 6 in the one day side - it's clearly his role and he does it bloody well, why jeopardise that, especially since he'll be picked there in the ODI team.

Wouldn't be against seeing him at 5 in the 4-day side though - Trescothick, Alviro, Kieswetter and Hildreth all above him once Compton heads off to Test duty.

Tres
Alviro
CK
Hildreth
Buttler

Jarquis

Hildreth bats three in that team.

Is what I'd like to see but wouldn't be too big a surprise to see Suppiah open and Alviro at 3.

stumpski

International Captain
Batty and Wilson gone at the Oval - I hope the tail shows a bit more steel than in the first innings, but Wilson was probably our main hope tbh.

grecian

Am I the only one a bit bored of spinners being one of the opening bowlers now. Yeah I get that the Surrey-Durham match is taking spin, but you've got Linley, Tremlett and Meaker in your side, let a couple of them have a few overs at the start.

I know there are a few spinners who seem to be genuinely good at it, but most of the time it just seems the done thing on any pitch with some turn.

*Awaits Batty running through Durham with the new ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Am I the only one a bit bored of spinners being one of the opening bowlers now. Yeah I get that the Surrey-Durham match is taking spin, but you've got Linley, Tremlett and Meaker in your side, let a couple of them have a few overs at the start.

I know there are a few spinners who seem to be genuinely good at it, but most of the time it just seems the done thing on any pitch with some turn.

*Awaits Batty running through Durham with the new ball.
Tremlett isn't playing.

But I agree with your greater point.

grecian

Tremlett isn't playing.

But I agree with your greater point.
Ah yeah good point, :shy:I suppose if your third seamer is deBruyn there might be some justification, but Meaker can feel hard done by, which isn't a sentiment I thought I'd ever express.

Borthwick batting at 3 can only be good for England really, had a decent match really..

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah, he hasn't had enough runs to bowl with tbf, but they'd have counted on him for at least three wickets today ... he'll come back later in the season I expect, but season's figures of 1 for 230 are not quite what he'd have hoped for.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hildreth bats three in that team.

Is what I'd like to see but wouldn't be too big a surprise to see Suppiah open and Alviro at 3.
Yeah, Suppiah will come in as a straight swap for Compton in the Championship side. Although CK is still injured of course, so they'll probably bring in Gregory or Meschede to fill in.

Actually, that would probably make the side a bit bowler friendly, so they could arguably bring both in and drop a bowler.

Something like this:

1. Tres
2. Suppiah
3. Alviro
4. Hildrith
5. Buttler
6. Trego
7. Gregory
8. Meschede
9. Thomas
10. J Overton
11. Dockrell/Leach

Woodster

International Captain
I'd be leaving him at 6 in the one day side - it's clearly his role and he does it bloody well, why jeopardise that, especially since he'll be picked there in the ODI team.

Wouldn't be against seeing him at 5 in the 4-day side though - Trescothick, Alviro, Kieswetter and Hildreth all above him once Compton heads off to Test duty.

Tres
Alviro
CK
Hildreth
Buttler
I'm certainly not disputing how well he plays his role down at six, but there's always the temptation should he bat higher he could be even more influential and build on the two List A centuries he currently has to his name. But I do get your point, an average in excess of 53 suggests he's been more than useful in his current position.

Jarquis

Didn't realise it was as low as 53 these days. He doesn't have a batting position in the OD game really. He doesn't bat lower than 6 but it's all to do with when the wickets fall. If Somerset were 200/1 with 10 overs left then I'm pretty sure they'd send Jos in next for example.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Didn't realise it was as low as 53 these days. He doesn't have a batting position in the OD game really. He doesn't bat lower than 6 but it's all to do with when the wickets fall. If Somerset were 200/1 with 10 overs left then I'm pretty sure they'd send Jos in next for example.
Shocking I know. :laugh: It's as high as 57 without the ODI's. When you haven't played that much just a couple of failures can be damming to the average.

His T20I record is looking quite impressive now though.

Last edited: