Cricket Player Manager
Page 26 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: **Official English County Cricket 2013**

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    What an absolutely cracking finish. Well played Clarke and Hannon-Dalby.

Somerset will be offering to buy Cook a hearing-aid, but the fact is they should have held their catches.
    I'm of the opinion that Alviro Petersen is among the best, if not the best, slip fielders in the world as well. Very surprising he put one down.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    OHD made his move worthwhile then for Warwicks.

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    How did Jamie Overton bowl today?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Three more Championship fixtures start again tomorrow. Little rest for five of the six teams involved (Hants, Derby, Durham, Notts and Yorkshire) at least Essex should be fresh as they missed out in the last round but confidence will have been taken a hit after two pretty average displays so far especially the spanking they received from Northants in the last game.

Their opposition - Hants - should be buzzing, if a tad tired, following a thumping victory over Worcester (and a dominated draw against Leicester), Hants have only batted once in each of their two games so far so Essex will be delighted to be able to recall their reliable seamer David Masters. Saj Mahmood also in the 12-man squad, so a possible debut for him, but the inclusion of England captain Alastair Cook could be massive! Adam Wheater may have something to say about that though, returning to Chelmsford following his winter move to Hants.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    How did Jamie Overton bowl today?
    Well I was only watching after tea, but although he went for a few he looked very impressive. It couldn't have helped that Trescothick kept bringing him on for short bursts and then taking him off again when the light faded.

I suppose Somerset could justify their late declaration by pointing out that Warks got within 100 of their target without really going for it, and in any case they had plenty of time as Gurin said earlier.

Yes Cook for Essex should be interesting. Nothing on Sky AFAIK, Notts v Durham on BBC Radio 5. They did Durham last week as well!

What's got into Eddie? Scored all but four of Notts' runs!

EDIT: And out. oh well
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

England Lions team to face New Zealand at Grace Road:

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Ravi Bopara (Essex)
    Michael Carberry (Hampshire)
    Varun Chopra (Warwickshire)
    Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
    Graham Onions (Durham)
    Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
    Joe Root (captain, Yorkshire)
    James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    Chris Wright (Warwickshire)

Lions team seems pretty harsh on Yorkshire and Warwickshire. In particular Root getting selected when he must be nearly certain to play in the first test seems pretty harsh on Yorkshire- i bet they are well pissed especially after Root's knock the other day.

Carberry is probably the biggest surprise and is lucky to be in having averaged 25 last year and being 32. Not too disappointed though because I'd rather play him than someone like Hales or Northeast who have potential but haven't done much this season.

Bopara is equally lucky to be in the squad but again I guess they don't want to overpromote someone like Vince, Stokes, Hales, Northeast.

No Stokes is probably still to do with getting sent home from the australia tour.

It's probably a more stronger and closer to a 2nd xi england team than lions teams in recent times have been. I'd expect it to give NZ a good contest
    Last edited by theegyptian; 29-04-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    My guess is that if Root didn't play this they'd have pulled him out anyway. Does leave Warwickshire's attack a bit light, but these things happen. Hopefully Finn isn't given the green light to play that game.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    My guess is that if Root didn't play this they'd have pulled him out anyway. Does leave Warwickshire's attack a bit light, but these things happen. Hopefully Finn isn't given the green light to play that game.
    Warwickshire could be really short of bowling with Barker injured as well but Trott and Bell will be back playing so it balances up a little.

I can't see why Finn wouldn't play the WarwickshireMiddlesex game. He's actually playing a 2nd xi game today for Middlesex to get some game time.

I guess Harris from Middlesex might be a bit disappointed but is yet to do much this season

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well I guess it depends on how likely he is to start the Test series, but as yet his participation is down as unknown so I'd like to think (from quite a selfish point of view) that he's rested (as that would balance up the bowling attack misses).

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Well I guess it depends on how likely he is to start the Test series, but as yet his participation is down as unknown so I'd like to think (from quite a selfish point of view) that he's rested (as that would balance up the bowling attack misses).
    You can tell we're the only two around at the moment otherwise everybody would be in here complaining about Bopara's inclusion in the squad imo.

Two of the worst teams in county cricket history will compete tomorrow in the leicestershire gloucestershire game. Both teams have had poor squad's decimated by injuries to their bowlers early this season.

There was an interview with Mike Newell (notts coach) at lunch on radio 5 sports extra - always interesting as he speaks his mind.

Cliff notes are that him and Flower have been getting at Broad to bat properly and concentrate on it more otherwise he's going to batting at 10 rather than 7 but Broad still continues to bat like a maverick. Patel works on the wrong stuff and doesn't know his own game- says he needs to score hundreds rather than 40's and 50's. And some other honest admissions that I can no longer remember.

Saw Bopara's name and was puzzled as IIRC, he has hardly scored a run since withdrawing from international duty last year

I could understand them giving him a long leash if he was a world class talent but it's Ravi

Got two wickets today the ****.

Very poor from Hampshire today, hope the wicket is doing something.

More surprised by Carberry's inclusion than anything else. If he was actually first reserve opener it'd make sense, but if an opener went down then Root would open and another middle order bat would come in. I think it's a bit of a waste of a pick really when someone like Hales could've been given some experience.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Kieswetter out for 6 weeks with a broken thumb.

Thread Information