• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

stumpski

International Captain
Гурин;3059642 said:
To think that he didn't play one single first-class game last year, while Paul Borrington and Matt Lineker were getting what looked like an endless string of chances!

I didn't know that, that seems crazy. I can only think he wasn't doing that well for the 2nds, or maybe had fitness issues. Ended up carrying his bat for 270, something like 60% of the runs scored off the bat - a monumental performance.

Rather an unexpected lead for Essex, btw, though it's fair to say it owed at least as much to Napier and Phillips than to Cook's four-hour 50 - though that was no doubt a useful net for the England skipper. :D

Last edited:

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
I didn't know that, that seems crazy. I can only think he wasn't doing that well for the 2nds, or maybe had fitness issues. Ended up carrying his bat for 270, something like 60% of the runs scored off the bat - a monumental performance.
The middle order was doing alright last year (at least in the first half of the season), and Chesney never looked in touch in his limited over innings. There was some talk in Derby that his technique have been found out and that he was going to struggle if he didn't work a bit over it... well, it looks like he did, or maybe the other counties forgot about him :) we'll see in the next games how he fares. Meanwhile, he missed the highest score in Derbyshire's history by a measly 4 runs. Well played sir!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rather an unexpected lead for Essex, btw, though it's fair to say it owed at least as much to Napier and Phillips than to Cook's four-hour 50 - though that was no doubt a useful net for the England skipper. :D
I think Napier might be the last of the county stalwarts that played back when I lived in Essex. Though Foster may have been starting up around that time. What a legend though. Seems to be better now than he was 5 or 6 years ago; I guess he's come to terms with his injury issues.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Really significant couple of knocks by Root imo. Until this season Root made good contributions but wasn't a really heavy runscorer- England picked him out on potential as much as runscoring. So it's nice that he seems to be really developing his runscoring abilities.

And during the Durham game he battled very hard in the first innings against a good opening attack of Onions and Rushworth at CLS. Good news for England.

And he just runs Jaques out for the 2nd time in 2 games.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Really significant couple of knocks by Root imo. Until this season Root made good contributions but wasn't a really heavy runscorer- England picked him out on potential as much as runscoring. So it's nice that he seems to be really developing his runscoring abilities.

And during the Durham game he battled very hard in the first innings against a good opening attack of Onions and Rushworth at CLS. Good news for England.

And he just runs Jaques out for the 2nd time in 2 games.
Scores tons and indiscriminately causes Australians to fail, what a force he'll be for the Ashes.

theegyptian

Gillespie needs to have a word with Gale and swap him around with Ballance in the batting order. Ballance already comfortably the better bat imo and more likely to make match winning contributions and is wasted at 6. Gale's technique is pretty wonky and he really doesn't score enough runs to bat at 4.

Vince having a real nice start to the season. Hasn't done much in fc cricket in the last couple of years but with him scoring runs it makes the Hampshire batting lineup look pretty balanced and possibly the most talented in the 2nd division.

social

Gillespie needs to have a word with Gale and swap him around with Ballance in the batting order. Ballance already comfortably the better bat imo and more likely to make match winning contributions and is wasted at 6. Gale's technique is pretty wonky and he really doesn't score enough runs to bat at 4.

Vince having a real nice start to the season. Hasn't done much in fc cricket in the last couple of years but with him scoring runs it makes the Hampshire batting lineup look pretty balanced and possibly the most talented in the 2nd division.
How is Gillespie regarded as a coach in England?

I was very impressed with an interview he gave recently and hope that he can pass on some of his knowledge to the good guys in the future

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member

I was very impressed with an interview he gave recently and hope that he can pass on some of his knowledge to the good guys in the future
Known to overdo twitter hashtags #strongunit #teamwork

Pothas

Delighted with his season so far, say each year that it will be a breakthrough season for him but might actually be right this year.

Not that it is helping us in this match, just gone for 67 and heading for defeat by the looks of things.

theegyptian

Known to overdo twitter hashtags #strongunit #teamwork
yes i can't stand that bull****. Him, Dave Nosworthy and Mickey Arthur (before he deleted his account after getting a load of abuse) all seem to love giving a load of motivation crap full of key words.

But generally I think he is well respected both in the press and by the yorkshire players. Of course there is a certain reverance given to a great former player - and may overshadow their actual coaching/managing pedigree - but there has for the most part being positive reviews.

Being Yorkshire coach isn't particularly easy and in that respect he seems to have placated the members who always seem upset at something.

A yorkshire fan may be able to give you a better view but I think the general consensus is he has done well and is liked and respected.

theegyptian

Love listening to Gloucestershire batting when Jack Taylor is batting. He's like Graeme Swann on speed. Can be out any ball but is fun whilst he's out there.

Nash at Sussex is unlucky not to get Carberry's spot in the Lions team. Been a better bat in county cricket for the last couple of years and took 21 wickets last year and is quite often more of a threat than Panesar especially in the second innings.

Pothas

Essex 16/3 and Cook gone, maybe this match is not over.

Westley run out twice in the same match.