• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England Lions team to face New Zealand at Grace Road:

Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Michael Carberry (Hampshire)
Varun Chopra (Warwickshire)
Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Toby Roland-Jones (Middlesex)
Joe Root (captain, Yorkshire)
James Taylor (Nottinghamshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Chris Wright (Warwickshire)

Lions team seems pretty harsh on Yorkshire and Warwickshire. In particular Root getting selected when he must be nearly certain to play in the first test seems pretty harsh on Yorkshire- i bet they are well pissed especially after Root's knock the other day.

Carberry is probably the biggest surprise and is lucky to be in having averaged 25 last year and being 32. Not too disappointed though because I'd rather play him than someone like Hales or Northeast who have potential but haven't done much this season.

Bopara is equally lucky to be in the squad but again I guess they don't want to overpromote someone like Vince, Stokes, Hales, Northeast.

No Stokes is probably still to do with getting sent home from the australia tour.

It's probably a more stronger and closer to a 2nd xi england team than lions teams in recent times have been. I'd expect it to give NZ a good contest

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My guess is that if Root didn't play this they'd have pulled him out anyway. Does leave Warwickshire's attack a bit light, but these things happen. Hopefully Finn isn't given the green light to play that game.

theegyptian

My guess is that if Root didn't play this they'd have pulled him out anyway. Does leave Warwickshire's attack a bit light, but these things happen. Hopefully Finn isn't given the green light to play that game.
Warwickshire could be really short of bowling with Barker injured as well but Trott and Bell will be back playing so it balances up a little.

I can't see why Finn wouldn't play the WarwickshireMiddlesex game. He's actually playing a 2nd xi game today for Middlesex to get some game time.

I guess Harris from Middlesex might be a bit disappointed but is yet to do much this season

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well I guess it depends on how likely he is to start the Test series, but as yet his participation is down as unknown so I'd like to think (from quite a selfish point of view) that he's rested (as that would balance up the bowling attack misses).

theegyptian

Well I guess it depends on how likely he is to start the Test series, but as yet his participation is down as unknown so I'd like to think (from quite a selfish point of view) that he's rested (as that would balance up the bowling attack misses).
You can tell we're the only two around at the moment otherwise everybody would be in here complaining about Bopara's inclusion in the squad imo.

Two of the worst teams in county cricket history will compete tomorrow in the leicestershire gloucestershire game. Both teams have had poor squad's decimated by injuries to their bowlers early this season.

There was an interview with Mike Newell (notts coach) at lunch on radio 5 sports extra - always interesting as he speaks his mind.

Cliff notes are that him and Flower have been getting at Broad to bat properly and concentrate on it more otherwise he's going to batting at 10 rather than 7 but Broad still continues to bat like a maverick. Patel works on the wrong stuff and doesn't know his own game- says he needs to score hundreds rather than 40's and 50's. And some other honest admissions that I can no longer remember.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saw Bopara's name and was puzzled as IIRC, he has hardly scored a run since withdrawing from international duty last year

I could understand them giving him a long leash if he was a world class talent but it's Ravi

Pothas

Got two wickets today the ****.

Very poor from Hampshire today, hope the wicket is doing something.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
More surprised by Carberry's inclusion than anything else. If he was actually first reserve opener it'd make sense, but if an opener went down then Root would open and another middle order bat would come in. I think it's a bit of a waste of a pick really when someone like Hales could've been given some experience.

fredfertang

I see Gareth Breese is playing for Durham - had to do a double take there - a real blast from the past

theegyptian

What a man. Yorkshire taking a pasting.

Cook about to bat. And Taylor looks about to make back to back hundreds.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Derbyshire have started their innings with scores like 117-7, 180-6, 60ao, 75-6 and 139-5 this year and yet they are 212-1 against Yorkshire :)

stumpski

International Captain
Derbyshire have started their innings with scores like 117-7, 180-6, 60ao, 75-6 and 139-5 this year and yet they are 212-1 against Yorkshire :)

Tucking into French cuisine. :) Chesney hasn't generally batted at 3 though has he, is that the first time this season?

stumpski

International Captain
Cliff notes are that him and Flower have been getting at Broad to bat properly and concentrate on it more otherwise he's going to batting at 10 rather than 7 but Broad still continues to bat like a maverick. Patel works on the wrong stuff and doesn't know his own game- says he needs to score hundreds rather than 40's and 50's. And some other honest admissions that I can no longer remember.
Seems to have done the trick, given that Broad's on to 41 now ...

WorcsRoyal

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Worcs could clone Richardson they'd just pick 2 of him and 9 batsmen wouldn't they?
2 Richardson's and 9 Moeen Ali's. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, Moeen Ali is out of contract at the end of the season and Richardson isn't getting any younger. Amazing how we just spent two years in Div1 when clearly we are one of, if not the worst side in Div 2.

stumpski

International Captain
2 Richardson's and 9 Moeen Ali's. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse, Moeen Ali is out of contract at the end of the season and Richardson isn't getting any younger. Amazing how we just spent two years in Div1 when clearly we are one of, if not the worst side in Div 2.
Who are your up and coming men then? Will Pinner amount to anything? Or D'Oliveira, or Cox?

Notts all out 320.

Derby's 2nd wicket goes, Madsen out for 93. Replaced by a man with 22,000 runs though ...

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah the plan was for Kieswetter to keep in four-day cricket and Buttler in 40 and 20 overs games but he'll get his chance sooner than planned.