Cricket Player Manager
Page 180 of 181 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181 LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 2713
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: **Official English County Cricket 2013**

  1. #2686
    School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK.
    Posts
    145
    Agreed with all the posts about JB being better than CK. Really weird decision by Somerset. Even when CK was keeping for England in the ODI's I always thought people like Steve Davies should be higher up the pecking order. I don't get the hype around CK.

  2. #2687
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    11,922
    Maybe CK is on less money than JB wanted. Does seem strange to let the better player leave.

  3. #2688
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,045
    Nah I still think Somerset made the right decision. Somerset were still likely to get more out of Kieswetter than they are out of Buttler in the future. Buttler is special and likely to be playing ODI and T20 cricket for England for the next ten years + potentially IPL+potentially test cricket. Kieswetter is likely to be a very good county pro whilst possibly might not make it at international standard. KW is the better 4 day bat, will produce more in T20 because he opens and is a similar level of wicketkeeping to Buttler at present. Buttler is a bigger loss in the remodelled 50 over game but again he's likely to miss large chunks of the season with England.

    That said it must be gutting for Somerset fans to lose someone as talented as Jos who has come through the full somerset system in place of someone like Kieswetter who has come in at the very end of the system. And Jos is more fun to watch.

    If somerset guarantee Buttler the wicketkeeping as he desired, Kieswetter leaves and you're left with no wicketkeeper for a lot of the season. I also reckon the reason the Lancs deal hasn't been confirmed is because Jos possibly wants to play the IPL

    Both Jos and Somerset made the correct decision imo. Somerset couldn't gurantee him the wicketkeeping and Jos needs the wicketkeeping so leaves
    Last edited by theegyptian; 28-09-2013 at 08:04 AM.

  4. #2689
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,543
    Yeah my view looking on the outside in is that it surely makes more sense to let Butler go. He's secured his place in the English LO teams for the next little while. Why would you let go the keeper you know you'll have all season for the keeper you'll be without during various stages of the season.

    (that's not to say they handled the whole Butler/Bedwetter thing well over the course of this season)
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left


  5. #2690
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Nah I still think Somerset made the right decision. Somerset were still likely to get more out of Kieswetter than they are out of Buttler in the future. Buttler is special and likely to be playing ODI and T20 cricket for England for the next ten years + potentially IPL+potentially test cricket. Kieswetter is likely to be a very good county pro whilst possibly might not make it at international standard. KW is the better 4 day bat, will produce more in T20 because he opens and is a similar level of wicketkeeping to Buttler at present. Buttler is a bigger loss in the remodelled 50 over game but again he's likely to miss large chunks of the season with England.

    That said it must be gutting for Somerset fans to lose someone as talented as Jos who has come through the full somerset system in place of someone like Kieswetter who has come in at the very end of the system. And Jos is more fun to watch.

    If somerset guarantee Buttler the wicketkeeping as he desired, Kieswetter leaves and you're left with no wicketkeeper for a lot of the season. I also reckon the reason the Lancs deal hasn't been confirmed is because Jos possibly wants to play the IPL

    Both Jos and Somerset made the correct decision imo. Somerset couldn't gurantee him the wicketkeeping and Jos needs the wicketkeeping so leaves
    Nah, if CK demanded to leave for not getting the gloves, when he's been shocking with the gloves, tell him to go. His best hope at International level is to score big in County Cricket, where he's very good. That number 6 position is still up for grabs. He's not a good enough 'keeper for international cricket, he should forget about it. We need his batting in County Cricket, so he should have just kept on batting.

    This is terrible for Somerset, we've seriously diminished our chances of winning trophies in every comp, I can't see any plusses, we're going to have to bring in some batting and possibly a reserve 'keeper now, Jones and Barrow just haven't cut it.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  6. #2691
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,328
    Interesting that so many of you are pretending Buttler is clearly a better player than CK. Neither are great keepers, CK is a much better CC bat and currently more useful T20 bat. 50 overs Buttler would have been very good, but CK record this year in YB40 is excellent. Also watched him live twice and the guff spoke about his keeping is funny. He isn't terrible at all and its hardly like Buttler is James Foster is it.

  7. #2692
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,346
    Peter Moores will turn Buttler into the next Adam Gilchrist

  8. #2693
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    9,982
    I've made my point on Buttler v CK before, so won't bother again. What I will say though is that Somerset have got rid of a one of the brightest talents in English cricketer, while making Kieswetter keeper in all formats, and even potentially lining him up to become new club captain. So maybe he's slightly better than some people like to think?

    Buttler is pretty much my favourite young player though, so him leaving the county I support (I won't say my county, as to not offend Howe ) is pretty gut wrenching. Still wish him all the best up north though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

    When KP returns he will be the banana..

  9. #2694
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    Interesting that so many of you are pretending Buttler is clearly a better player than CK. Neither are great keepers, CK is a much better CC bat and currently more useful T20 bat. 50 overs Buttler would have been very good, but CK record this year in YB40 is excellent. Also watched him live twice and the guff spoke about his keeping is funny. He isn't terrible at all and its hardly like Buttler is James Foster is it.
    Pretending? it's rather more an opinion, and after the Derby match and watching CK and JB keep, I think there is a massive gulf in their 'keeping abilities. The t-20 thing is wrong too, where CK comes in his s-r is much more important than averages, and he scores a lot quicker than CK, not that either is a slouch.

  10. #2695
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,328
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Pretending? it's rather more an opinion, and after the Derby match and watching CK and JB keep, I think there is a massive gulf in their 'keeping abilities. The t-20 thing is wrong too, where CK comes in his s-r is much more important than averages, and he scores a lot quicker than CK, not that either is a slouch.
    I think there is a far bigger gulf between there red ball batting than there keeping. And its not in Buttler's favor.

    517 runs @ 64.6 with a SR of 137.13 is also far better in my opinion than 185 runs @ 26.42 with a SR of 160.86.

  11. #2696
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    I think there is a far bigger gulf between there red ball batting than there keeping. And its not in Buttler's favor.

    517 runs @ 64.6 with a SR of 137.13 is also far better in my opinion than 185 runs @ 26.42 with a SR of 160.86.
    Again opinion, which is what it is. Buttler averaged just more in the Championship this year, I think he has the bigger breadth of improvement too, I guess we'll see.

  12. #2697
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,041
    Personally I think Somerset have actually made the right choice. Buttler will be a better player than Kieswetter in all formats soon if he isn't already but they already lose him for part of the season with T20I and ODI commitments and England selectors clearly have some faith in him as a player in general, so I think that if he did actually put together a really good season of CC run-scoring, he'd be right in the mix for the Test #6 spot straight away. He's basically in a position where if he performs he's not going to be available much, while Kieswetter can be extremely valuable on the county circuit without really pushing for England honours again.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  13. #2698
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,521
    Initially my thinking on this issue was that Somerset are making a big mistake in letting Jos Buttler leave them, but it does depend how available Buttler is going to be for his county. I certainly think for the moment he'd still be available for well over half the CC fixtures, as he has been this year by playing in nine of them and I don't think Matt Prior is ready top step aside in the Test team just yet. Not that Buttler would automatically be installed however.

    Somerset simply acknowledge the fact they are likely to lose Buttler for part of each season before it's likely they'll lose him for much more, while Kieswetter may be available much more consistently with his international aspirations fading a touch, although not in his eyes. Currently there doesn't seem to be much between them as keepers and CK is probably a more reliable batsman in the longer formats, though that gap is closing with each passing game.

    I think Buttler has the skill and potential to be a really special player. The route he wants to take may have a big say in how good he's going to be. If he craves the IPL glamour and adulation and generally the T20 format then I think that will hamper his development in real cricket.

    I understand Somerset going with CK, he's likely to be one of the best keeper/batsman on the County circuit and barring injury will be available throughout a season, but it just doesn't look good when you're letting go a young player with such potential to become one of the very best keeper/batsman around. Excellent move for Lancashire though.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

  14. #2699
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Concentrating on the League
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Initially my thinking on this issue was that Somerset are making a big mistake in letting Jos Buttler leave them, but it does depend how available Buttler is going to be for his county. I certainly think for the moment he'd still be available for well over half the CC fixtures, as he has been this year by playing in nine of them and I don't think Matt Prior is ready top step aside in the Test team just yet. Not that Buttler would automatically be installed however.

    Somerset simply acknowledge the fact they are likely to lose Buttler for part of each season before it's likely they'll lose him for much more, while Kieswetter may be available much more consistently with his international aspirations fading a touch, although not in his eyes. Currently there doesn't seem to be much between them as keepers and CK is probably a more reliable batsman in the longer formats, though that gap is closing with each passing game.

    I think Buttler has the skill and potential to be a really special player. The route he wants to take may have a big say in how good he's going to be. If he craves the IPL glamour and adulation and generally the T20 format then I think that will hamper his development in real cricket.

    I understand Somerset going with CK, he's likely to be one of the best keeper/batsman on the County circuit and barring injury will be available throughout a season, but it just doesn't look good when you're letting go a young player with such potential to become one of the very best keeper/batsman around. Excellent move for Lancashire though.
    I think the problem with all this is CK had a pretty pish season last year, really went backwards with the gloves, batting wasn't brilliant, and for the second year running started to pick up injuries.

    TBH, I'm not being logical though, Jos is a local lad, and potentially a god, I want him to stay. I can't say the new management team fills me with confidence either, we seem to be going backwards in every way.

  15. #2700
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,045
    This is just like when Chris Read left Gloucestershire to go to Notts because Jack Russell was blocking his way. Well not really but still emphasises the point that it's hard having two good wicketkeeper batsman at one club. Foakes at Essex is going to have a similar problem with Foster especially as England obviously rate Foakes so highly and will be pushing him to get more wicketkeeping time either at Essex or elsewhere.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cruel jokes on Kamran Akmal
    By Gooch20 in forum World Cup 2011
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 16-03-2011, 06:46 AM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 06:21 AM
  3. #Link to Cricket Chat forum#
    By Deja moo in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 8273
    Last Post: 27-08-2007, 08:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •