• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Warwickshire collapsing to 4/86. Woakes in the middle - will we see a special knock from him today? He's good enough to do it, he knows an England spot isn't far away and he's got a pretty unassuming Somerset attack to do it against.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah big innings for Woakes. I'd be seriously considering him for the Test side with Pietersen injured. Reckon the whole him-batting-6 thing is an ECB request for this game? Rikki Clarke batted ahead of him last week and he's averaging about 45 for the season so it seems a bit of a strange "demotion" (batted 7 both weeks, but you get what I mean) for Clarke.

stumpski

International Captain
Warwickshire collapsing to 4/86. Woakes in the middle - will we see a special knock from him today? He's good enough to do it, he knows an England spot isn't far away and he's got a pretty unassuming Somerset attack to do it against.
Make it 5, good catch that by Kieswetter.

Sussex piling on the runs at the Oval, it took a rare wicket by Solanki to get rid of Wells (and nothng was more predictable than Jordan taking five) but it sounds as if the weather will have the final say there.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah big innings for Woakes. I'd be seriously considering him for the Test side with Pietersen injured. Reckon the whole him-batting-6 thing is an ECB request for this game? Rikki Clarke batted ahead of him last week and he's averaging about 45 for the season so it seems a bit of a strange "demotion" (batted 7 both weeks, but you get what I mean) for Clarke.
Feel a tad sorry for Ateeq Javid, batting 8 and hardly getting a bowl. Woakes promotion long overdue though, if it was an England request I am surprised it did not come sooner.

grecian

Oh dear, what a shame, nevermind:D

Joverton has bowled well enough at times, but his two wickets have been from awful balls.

The new botham:p

grecian

Would have enforced the follow-on myself, Trego only bowled 10 overs, would have had him and Thomas open up tonight, and they'd all be rested by tomorrow.

Happy with the Overtons though, and Leach.

stumpski

International Captain
Cricket is full of little ironies, and Chris Tremlett's only wicket today was the man who replaced him after his last Test. Good that he got through the day though. The size of the Sussex lead is a bit worrying, but the forecast for tomorrow isn't great.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Enjoyed Willis saying how Buttler should be playing as a batsman in test cricket for England in a couple of years. What an idiot.

Feel sorry for Kieswetter. Him and Buttler had contrasting fortunes in this match but he is clearly the better batsman in the four day game. There is a load of talent with Buttler and imo a better temperament than Kieswetter which should serve him well in the long term but Buttler is way behind Kieswetter as a stand alone batsman. He's lucky to have played as much first class cricket as he has as a batsman at 6 given he averages just above 30 with 1/2 the games at Taunton. Buttler is just too susceptible just outside the offstump to be particularly succesful in english conditions and it would be unwise for Somerset to ever bat him higher than 6 at current as Willis was asking for.

Can see Buttler batting at 7 for England as a WK but no higher and certainly not as a stand alone batsman.

JOverton as he did last year in the u19 WC looked knackered coming back for later spells

Bairstow had a disappointing day according to the cricinfo report. Dropped an easy chance from Stoneman early in his innings and was done by an Onions bouncer. Gonna be a disaster playing him in the the first test of the summer on current form.

Glos slipping to another defeat - sigh

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Brumby is also a big fan.
Me too FTR.

Enjoyed Willis saying how Buttler should be playing as a batsman in test cricket for England in a couple of years. What an idiot.

Feel sorry for Kieswetter. Him and Buttler had contrasting fortunes in this match but he is clearly the better batsman in the four day game. There is a load of talent with Buttler and imo a better temperament than Kieswetter which should serve him well in the long term but Buttler is way behind Kieswetter as a stand alone batsman. He's lucky to have played as much first class cricket as he has as a batsman at 6 given he averages just above 30 with 1/2 the games at Taunton. Buttler is just too susceptible just outside the offstump to be particularly succesful in english conditions and it would be unwise for Somerset to ever bat him higher than 6 at current as Willis was asking for.
Yeah, I'm a massive Buttler fan but I found it somewhat frustrating that his century came in a game Sky were showing and when Kieswetter got a duck. Buttler doesn't need his rep inflated, whereas Kieswetter pretty desperately does. Just get the feeling that the casual fan and pundits will start talking up Buttler for the test side before Kieswetter, even though Kiesy has done better with the bat every year, and will most likely this year, and with the added burden of the gloves too.

Seriously Buttler should be massively down the pecking order for an England spot in test cricket at the moment, and I'd take everyone who's eligible for England in the Somerset top 7 ahead of him if one of them had to replace Pietersen against New Zealand.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah big innings for Woakes. I'd be seriously considering him for the Test side with Pietersen injured.
Me too. It's not so much that I'm someone who thinks every good bowling attack needs five bowlers, it's somewhat down to the fact that I don't think the batting alternatives are that much better than him. I mean, Woakes has more championship 100's and a better FC average than the last long term incumbent of the number 6 spot for England, and while Root and Bairstow have played good innings at times, neither has really hammered down performance after performance to nail their spot. Not to mention having a bowler of his (Woakes) ability as a 4th seamer would be a massive bonus. If KP was fit I'd have gone with the same top 7 from the Wellington test, but I'd be pretty tempted to throw Woakes in there to replace him and play instead of Bairstow.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Yeah, but I do hope there isn't a Press call for him playing for England in Tests yet. He has all the talent, but he needs to build innings in County Cricket, his record is very poor.

and I'm as much a fan of him as anyone, apart from Marcus obvs.
Brumby is also a big fan.
Me too FTR.
Grecian has this one nailed. Y'all are nothing in comparison :p

Agreed though.. had a rant to my mate earlier today when Willis said he should be batting 3 or 4 for Somerset. Absolutely no way.

I do believe he's in the Paul Collingwood/Michael Vaughan mode of the fact that he'll lose very little in the transition from County cricket to International cricket. He's just so talented and when he gets it right he's just so good.

Needs to learn his game for Somerset but once he has then he'll have it sussed IMO.

Telling that he only earned his County Cap today tbh.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, like I said to spark the discussion, it's a positive sign that he always seems to do well when Sky are in town.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Compton is so bad. Just plodding along at less than a run per over when your setting up a declaration at Taunton.