• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
kent chased down another 400 score this season didnt they. Two successful 400 + chases in a season mustnt be common

stumpski

International Captain
Damn, I was thinking of going to that today as well, but it looked as if whatever Lancs set would be well beyond Kent.

Glamorgan closing in on a win as well. What a season Allenby's had - 85 and 7-47 in this match. Leics fans must be sick that he was allowed to go.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly Jos leaving is SO hideous. Kieswetter can't even keep when the ball is spinniing, it kills us in 50 overs, and hurts us in t20.

Oh And I'm with Brumbers the guy has every chance to be a good first-class player, so who are we going to bring in to make this look a sane decision?

Pay the ****er the money he wants tell CK to just bat, that way he may become a decent England number 6, because his 'keeping is ****ing sub-standard.

So angry, we're weaker in 'keeping and batting in every form, and we'll be losing so much money in letting a genuine box-office player go, for mediocrity.

Last edited:

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Agreed with all the posts about JB being better than CK. Really weird decision by Somerset. Even when CK was keeping for England in the ODI's I always thought people like Steve Davies should be higher up the pecking order. I don't get the hype around CK.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Nah I still think Somerset made the right decision. Somerset were still likely to get more out of Kieswetter than they are out of Buttler in the future. Buttler is special and likely to be playing ODI and T20 cricket for England for the next ten years + potentially IPL+potentially test cricket. Kieswetter is likely to be a very good county pro whilst possibly might not make it at international standard. KW is the better 4 day bat, will produce more in T20 because he opens and is a similar level of wicketkeeping to Buttler at present. Buttler is a bigger loss in the remodelled 50 over game but again he's likely to miss large chunks of the season with England.

That said it must be gutting for Somerset fans to lose someone as talented as Jos who has come through the full somerset system in place of someone like Kieswetter who has come in at the very end of the system. And Jos is more fun to watch.

If somerset guarantee Buttler the wicketkeeping as he desired, Kieswetter leaves and you're left with no wicketkeeper for a lot of the season. I also reckon the reason the Lancs deal hasn't been confirmed is because Jos possibly wants to play the IPL

Both Jos and Somerset made the correct decision imo. Somerset couldn't gurantee him the wicketkeeping and Jos needs the wicketkeeping so leaves

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah my view looking on the outside in is that it surely makes more sense to let Butler go. He's secured his place in the English LO teams for the next little while. Why would you let go the keeper you know you'll have all season for the keeper you'll be without during various stages of the season.

(that's not to say they handled the whole Butler/Bedwetter thing well over the course of this season)

grecian

Nah I still think Somerset made the right decision. Somerset were still likely to get more out of Kieswetter than they are out of Buttler in the future. Buttler is special and likely to be playing ODI and T20 cricket for England for the next ten years + potentially IPL+potentially test cricket. Kieswetter is likely to be a very good county pro whilst possibly might not make it at international standard. KW is the better 4 day bat, will produce more in T20 because he opens and is a similar level of wicketkeeping to Buttler at present. Buttler is a bigger loss in the remodelled 50 over game but again he's likely to miss large chunks of the season with England.

That said it must be gutting for Somerset fans to lose someone as talented as Jos who has come through the full somerset system in place of someone like Kieswetter who has come in at the very end of the system. And Jos is more fun to watch.

If somerset guarantee Buttler the wicketkeeping as he desired, Kieswetter leaves and you're left with no wicketkeeper for a lot of the season. I also reckon the reason the Lancs deal hasn't been confirmed is because Jos possibly wants to play the IPL

Both Jos and Somerset made the correct decision imo. Somerset couldn't gurantee him the wicketkeeping and Jos needs the wicketkeeping so leaves
Nah, if CK demanded to leave for not getting the gloves, when he's been shocking with the gloves, tell him to go. His best hope at International level is to score big in County Cricket, where he's very good. That number 6 position is still up for grabs. He's not a good enough 'keeper for international cricket, he should forget about it. We need his batting in County Cricket, so he should have just kept on batting.

This is terrible for Somerset, we've seriously diminished our chances of winning trophies in every comp, I can't see any plusses, we're going to have to bring in some batting and possibly a reserve 'keeper now, Jones and Barrow just haven't cut it.

91Jmay

International Coach
Interesting that so many of you are pretending Buttler is clearly a better player than CK. Neither are great keepers, CK is a much better CC bat and currently more useful T20 bat. 50 overs Buttler would have been very good, but CK record this year in YB40 is excellent. Also watched him live twice and the guff spoke about his keeping is funny. He isn't terrible at all and its hardly like Buttler is James Foster is it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've made my point on Buttler v CK before, so won't bother again. What I will say though is that Somerset have got rid of a one of the brightest talents in English cricketer, while making Kieswetter keeper in all formats, and even potentially lining him up to become new club captain. So maybe he's slightly better than some people like to think?

Buttler is pretty much my favourite young player though, so him leaving the county I support (I won't say my county, as to not offend Howe :p) is pretty gut wrenching. Still wish him all the best up north though.

grecian

Interesting that so many of you are pretending Buttler is clearly a better player than CK. Neither are great keepers, CK is a much better CC bat and currently more useful T20 bat. 50 overs Buttler would have been very good, but CK record this year in YB40 is excellent. Also watched him live twice and the guff spoke about his keeping is funny. He isn't terrible at all and its hardly like Buttler is James Foster is it.
Pretending? it's rather more an opinion, and after the Derby match and watching CK and JB keep, I think there is a massive gulf in their 'keeping abilities. The t-20 thing is wrong too, where CK comes in his s-r is much more important than averages, and he scores a lot quicker than CK, not that either is a slouch.

91Jmay

International Coach
Pretending? it's rather more an opinion, and after the Derby match and watching CK and JB keep, I think there is a massive gulf in their 'keeping abilities. The t-20 thing is wrong too, where CK comes in his s-r is much more important than averages, and he scores a lot quicker than CK, not that either is a slouch.
I think there is a far bigger gulf between there red ball batting than there keeping. And its not in Buttler's favor.

517 runs @ 64.6 with a SR of 137.13 is also far better in my opinion than 185 runs @ 26.42 with a SR of 160.86.

grecian

I think there is a far bigger gulf between there red ball batting than there keeping. And its not in Buttler's favor.

517 runs @ 64.6 with a SR of 137.13 is also far better in my opinion than 185 runs @ 26.42 with a SR of 160.86.
Again opinion, which is what it is. Buttler averaged just more in the Championship this year, I think he has the bigger breadth of improvement too, I guess we'll see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally I think Somerset have actually made the right choice. Buttler will be a better player than Kieswetter in all formats soon if he isn't already but they already lose him for part of the season with T20I and ODI commitments and England selectors clearly have some faith in him as a player in general, so I think that if he did actually put together a really good season of CC run-scoring, he'd be right in the mix for the Test #6 spot straight away. He's basically in a position where if he performs he's not going to be available much, while Kieswetter can be extremely valuable on the county circuit without really pushing for England honours again.

Woodster

International Captain
Initially my thinking on this issue was that Somerset are making a big mistake in letting Jos Buttler leave them, but it does depend how available Buttler is going to be for his county. I certainly think for the moment he'd still be available for well over half the CC fixtures, as he has been this year by playing in nine of them and I don't think Matt Prior is ready top step aside in the Test team just yet. Not that Buttler would automatically be installed however.

Somerset simply acknowledge the fact they are likely to lose Buttler for part of each season before it's likely they'll lose him for much more, while Kieswetter may be available much more consistently with his international aspirations fading a touch, although not in his eyes. Currently there doesn't seem to be much between them as keepers and CK is probably a more reliable batsman in the longer formats, though that gap is closing with each passing game.

I think Buttler has the skill and potential to be a really special player. The route he wants to take may have a big say in how good he's going to be. If he craves the IPL glamour and adulation and generally the T20 format then I think that will hamper his development in real cricket.

I understand Somerset going with CK, he's likely to be one of the best keeper/batsman on the County circuit and barring injury will be available throughout a season, but it just doesn't look good when you're letting go a young player with such potential to become one of the very best keeper/batsman around. Excellent move for Lancashire though.

grecian

Initially my thinking on this issue was that Somerset are making a big mistake in letting Jos Buttler leave them, but it does depend how available Buttler is going to be for his county. I certainly think for the moment he'd still be available for well over half the CC fixtures, as he has been this year by playing in nine of them and I don't think Matt Prior is ready top step aside in the Test team just yet. Not that Buttler would automatically be installed however.

Somerset simply acknowledge the fact they are likely to lose Buttler for part of each season before it's likely they'll lose him for much more, while Kieswetter may be available much more consistently with his international aspirations fading a touch, although not in his eyes. Currently there doesn't seem to be much between them as keepers and CK is probably a more reliable batsman in the longer formats, though that gap is closing with each passing game.

I think Buttler has the skill and potential to be a really special player. The route he wants to take may have a big say in how good he's going to be. If he craves the IPL glamour and adulation and generally the T20 format then I think that will hamper his development in real cricket.

I understand Somerset going with CK, he's likely to be one of the best keeper/batsman on the County circuit and barring injury will be available throughout a season, but it just doesn't look good when you're letting go a young player with such potential to become one of the very best keeper/batsman around. Excellent move for Lancashire though.
I think the problem with all this is CK had a pretty pish season last year, really went backwards with the gloves, batting wasn't brilliant, and for the second year running started to pick up injuries.

TBH, I'm not being logical though, Jos is a local lad, and potentially a god, I want him to stay. I can't say the new management team fills me with confidence either, we seem to be going backwards in every way.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
This is just like when Chris Read left Gloucestershire to go to Notts because Jack Russell was blocking his way. Well not really but still emphasises the point that it's hard having two good wicketkeeper batsman at one club. Foakes at Essex is going to have a similar problem with Foster especially as England obviously rate Foakes so highly and will be pushing him to get more wicketkeeping time either at Essex or elsewhere.