• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still don't really rate Ravi as someone who can build a proper innings consistently enough at international level to bat above six. He makes my side because he can bowl and because he can finish off an innings.

Woodster

International Captain
Have to say Sammy looks like he's responded to the concerns about his conditioning by buying himself a couple of KFC family buckets; really think he's currently the largest I've seen him.
Yes I think his body shape has the be the main reason he's fallen out of the England set-up, and why wouldn't they drop him? He's clearly been told in the past his fitness is the main reason he gets left out yet clearly he hasn't shown any sort of willingness or dedication to keep off the pies and burgers!Can you really be so rotund and still in peak physical condition for elite level sport ? I don't think so, even dart players and snooker players are changing their fitness levels to improve their skills. It is a waste of Samit's skills though as he showed in yesterday's final he can turn a game in his team's favour either with the bat or with the ball as he demonstrated against Glamorgan.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I think his body shape has the be the main reason he's fallen out of the England set-up, and why wouldn't they drop him? He's clearly been told in the past his fitness is the main reason he gets left out yet clearly he hasn't shown any sort of willingness or dedication to keep off the pies and burgers!Can you really be so rotund and still in peak physical condition for elite level sport ? I don't think so, even dart players and snooker players are changing their fitness levels to improve their skills. It is a waste of Samit's skills though as he showed in yesterday's final he can turn a game in his team's favour either with the bat or with the ball as he demonstrated against Glamorgan.
You raise an interesting point. How important is peak physical shape? This may not directly relate to Patel but if a player is still good enough to be in the team on merit but doesnt work hard enough to reach their full potential, why should they be punished for 90% (or whatever) realization of their talent being better than others maxing their ability out. I must admit I kind of torn on the issue for a variety of reasons. Taking the Patel example and applying it in general to a hypothetical player, looking fat and not meeting BMI and bleep test targets should be irrelevant if they can do the job better than others. Fitness, gym, diet are all tools for improving performance but they are not themselves the objective. Performance is the only thing that should be looked at, not whether they checked certain boxes on the way.

Woodster

International Captain
You raise an interesting point. How important is peak physical shape? This may not directly relate to Patel but if a player is still good enough to be in the team on merit but doesnt work hard enough to reach their full potential, why should they be punished for 90% (or whatever) realization of their talent being better than others maxing their ability out. I must admit I kind of torn on the issue for a variety of reasons. Taking the Patel example and applying it in general to a hypothetical player, looking fat and not meeting BMI and bleep test targets should be irrelevant if they can do the job better than others. Fitness, gym, diet are all tools for improving performance but they are not themselves the objective. Performance is the only thing that should be looked at, not whether they checked certain boxes on the way.
Yes some good points Goughy, but the key for me here is how much does Patel really want it? If he has been told his fitness condition is not high enough, whether he agrees with that as a reason for not being selected is pretty irrelevant as he knows what he has to do but hasn't got the commitment or dedication or whatever you want to view it as, to do the hard work for what is required.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah the point is that it is a slap in the face to other England players who I am sure don't like doing the physical work and dieting, but do so because they are told to. Then you pick Samit who looks pregnant .

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, around the time the management were admitting to leaving Samit out for fitness issues, there were plenty of other blokes who were clearly miles away from proper athletes, but became integral members of the side because they were willing to work their socks off to at least be at a serviceable level. Tim Bresnan and Michael Yardy are probably the obvious examples.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Gareth Cross has been released by Lancs with Jos Buttler meant to be in talks with Lancs.
He will be a big miss for Somerset. Looked the part behind the sticks in the ODI series against Australia. One thing for Lancs is though, with the ODI's they might not see him for some parts of the season.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
He will be a big miss for Somerset. Looked the part behind the sticks in the ODI series against Australia. One thing for Lancs is though, with the ODI's they might not see him for some parts of the season.
It's probably a happy scenario for both parties, Buttler wants the gloves in FC cricket but because he is not available full time its a bit of a mess for counties, Lancs have Davies who has been knocking on the door so we want to give him some game time without perhaps relying on him for the whole season

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Pretty random selection by yorkshire. Flat and slow wicket at the oval with slow turn and they drop one of their bowlers and strengthen the batting. Guess nothing riding on the match.

Sky obviously couldn't be bothered to put any game on. This week was originally scheduled for a game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty random selection by yorkshire. Flat and slow wicket at the oval with slow turn and they drop one of their bowlers and strengthen the batting. Guess nothing riding on the match
Yeah I'm guessing they just thought they could get as much with the ball out of Rashid and Williamson as they could Plunkett on this wicket, especially since Plunkett has been really, really expensive at times in the last month or so.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Williamson's signed for us next year which considering there's a chance we could be missing Root, Bairstow and Ballance next year is a good thing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No spinner for Somerset, I wonder if CK will get another bowl, which would neatly tie into a recent CW article.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Assuming Bairstow hasn't been selected more as a back-up keeper that is?

Personally I'd say the selection of 2 different men here as potential number 6s plus Woakes at the Oval says that Bairstow isn't that highly regarded in the management's thoughts.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yorkshire's batting being weak next summer and them getting relegated, while Compton piles up the runs for Somerset as they win the tittle would be good, and would pretty much remove any bitterness I have. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yorkshire's batting being weak next summer and them getting relegated, while Compton piles up the runs for Somerset as they win the tittle would be good, and would pretty much remove any bitterness I have. :p
As a Yorkshire fan who thinks Compton should still be in the Test side, that would just make me even more bitter.

Which is probably another reason you'd enjoy it I suppose.