• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Woodster

International Captain
Looks like Fatel has wrapped this up pretty much, Glamorgan's batting depth is horrible.
Three excellent wickets from the chubster taking out the two men that could have won this game for Glamorgan in Allenby and Goodwin and also cleaning up Cooke who was looking good. Can't see a way out of this for Glamorgan.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ah okay Brummers. :)

Are we keen for Hogan, first I've heard of it. I mean he is a useful player to have in our Shield but he isn't anything special in one day matches, in fact he often gets overlooked for WA.
Hey, if you believe that I've got this tower in Paris I'm looking to sell... :p

Hogan's name was mentioned in all the articles proclaiming the change in rules that allows Oz-born cricketers to play for states as overseas. Might just be hacks padding their stories out tho, I guess. Clearly Sam Robson was the man in mind when the new law was drafted.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never understood why Patel was dropped from the England ODI set-up, his s-r down the order was getting rather good, and his bowling is dam-sight better than Roots.

Guess it's his girth that's the problem, but it's a shame really, he's the kind of one-day performer we could do with.

Scaly piscine

Never understood why Patel was dropped from the England ODI set-up, his s-r down the order was getting rather good, and his bowling is dam-sight better than Roots.

Guess it's his girth that's the problem, but it's a shame really, he's the kind of one-day performer we could do with.
His bowling is not that much more effective than Root - too expensive, and you've got to carry Fatel's fielding for a full 50 overs whereas you might not even use their bowling.

grecian

His bowling is not that much more effective than Root - too expensive, and you've got to carry Fatel's fielding for a full 50 overs whereas you might not even use their bowling.
Disagree about his bowling, he turns it, Root is pretty much a myth with his limited-overs bowling 5.51 isn't hideous as the 6th bowler and better than roots. I'm not sure about Joe's batting in the form either, would rather he concentrated on tests for a while.

Fielding is a problem admittedly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I could definitely see why he found himself out of the eleven, even irrespective of his girth. He can't really be relied on for ten overs IMO which is what you need from the sixth batsman at the moment and the 1-5 batting spots got filled by better players. Ravi's the guy he'd be competing with and he's obviously improved his game a bit lately and has a bowling style far more suited to Australian conditions (World Cup etc) than Samit. I did think it was harsh for him to be dropped from the squad completely but yeah I guess it was a fitness/weight thing.

grecian

I could definitely see why he found himself out of the eleven, even irrespective of his girth. He can't really be relied on for ten overs IMO which is what you need from the sixth batsman at the moment and the 1-5 batting spots got filled by better players. Ravi's the guy he'd be competing with and he's obviously improved his game a bit lately and has a bowling style far more suited to Australian conditions (World Cup etc) than Samit. I did think it was harsh for him to be dropped from the squad completely but yeah I guess it was a fitness/weight thing.
Well, as I explained above I'd have him in the side for Root. Joe unlucky, but in the end we have plenty of types like him, whilst Samit really does hit at a very high strike-rate down the order.

Also SLA works as a better compliment to Swann or Tredders.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Joe unlucky, but in the end we have plenty of types like him, whilst Samit really does hit at a very high strike-rate down the order.
Hmm, I kind of think the opposite really. I wouldn't want to see Morgan, Bopara or Buttler batting above 5, particularly in Australia where the next World Cup is. I think they're locked in at the 5-7 at full strength, which means you need to find four top order players. If Samit played then you'd have four lower middle order bats and I think, to borrow a euphemism from the New Zealand A thread, too much icing and not enough cake.

Even beyond that though, you still need to find a way to get Pietersen back in the side and I think Root drops out anyway.

Bell
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler

grecian

Hmm, I kind of think the opposite really. I wouldn't want to see Morgan, Bopara or Buttler batting above 5, particularly in Australia where the next World Cup is. I think they're locked in at the 5-7 at full strength, which means you need to find four top order players. If Samit played then you'd have four lower middle order bats and I think, to borrow a euphemism from the New Zealand A thread, too much icing and not enough cake.

Even beyond that though, you still need to find a way to get Pietersen back in the side and I think Root drops out anyway.

Bell
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Well my line-up would be

KP
Cook
Trott
Morgan
Bop
Patel
Buttler

Incredibly harsh on ding-dong, but I feel that way you have power-hitters throughout, and lets not forget how ****ing awful KP has been down the order for England in the last few (even longer?) years. I really don't see any problem with Morgan at 4.

Last edited:

grecian

Yeah I really think Morgan and Bopara are both a spot too high there, personally.
Well if Kp could produce the form of almost a decade ago, I'd agree, but he just rarely gets an innings down there nowadays, just brief cameos, so morgan and Bop are more likely to score big, IMHO.

KPs terrible series as opener against Oz has muddied the water somewhat, but I believe he's the perfect foil for Trott and Cook.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say Sammy looks like he's responded to the concerns about his conditioning by buying himself a couple of KFC family buckets; really think he's currently the largest I've seen him.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't have taken him away from the set up, but I don't think he can get into the XI now. I basically would have had him in the Bopara role before this summer, but Ravi's done well this season and is a better bowler anyway. Disagree that Patel is a better batting option than the others, especially if you're leaving out Bell.

Well, as I explained above I'd have him in the side for Root. Joe unlucky, but in the end we have plenty of types like him, whilst Samit really does hit at a very high strike-rate down the order.

Also SLA works as a better compliment to Swann or Tredders.
Hmm, I disagree quite strongly on Root. I think his stodgy Ashes batting has given off a few misconceptions about him in the shorter forms. Before that he was working really effectively at the back end of the innings, with plenty of innovative shots and a surprising amount of power. Nagpur apart, it was really the ODI arena where Root first got his reputation, and he even used the format to stop anyway noticing that he was a bit rubbish in the tests in NZ. Even thought Compton outshone him in NZ there was still immense pressure in the first home test, because Root had been dominating the ODI arena. His three highest scores in the format have all been quality death batting. After the end of the Champions Trophy he was averaging 50 and striking in the high 80's. You won't agree of course, but I'd say he's a more similar limited overs batsman to Morgan than Cook or Bell.

With that in mind, we really don't need more lower order hitting with Jos, Morgan and Ravi below him, even though I agree Samit was unlucky initially.

Last edited:

grecian

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't have taken him away from the set up, but I don't think he can get into the XI now. I basically would have had him in the Bopara role before this summer, but Ravi's done well this season and is a better bowler anyway. Disagree that Patel is a better batting option than the others, especially if you're leaving out Bell.

Hmm, I disagree quite strongly on Root. I think his stodgy Ashes batting has given off a few misconceptions about him in the shorter forms. Before that he was working really effectively at the back end of the innings, with plenty of innovative shots and a surprising amount of power. Nagpur apart, it was really the ODI arena where Root first got his reputation, and he even used the format to stop anyway noticing that he was a bit rubbish in the tests in NZ. Even thought Compton outshone him in NZ there was still immense pressure in the first home test, because Root had been dominating the ODI arena. His three highest scores in the format have all been quality death batting. After the end of the Champions Trophy he was averaging 50 and striking in the high 80's. You won't agree of course, but I'd say he's a more similar limited overs batsman to Morgan than Cook or Bell.

With that in mind, we really don't need more lower order hitting with Jos, Morgan and Ravi below him, even though I agree Samit was unlucky initially.
In the end I'm happy for people to concentrate on different forms, I do realise Root is quite cute in his one-day play, but just think if they're considering him as an opening batsmen in Tests he should just consolidate in that regard. Great three innings there, but do you think bowlers might have found him out now?

I don't really see how Ravi is a hitter either, think he's another consolidator. Which is why I'd slot him in between Morgan and Samit.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ravi showed he had the ability to be a decent hitter in the lower order during the CT (28 runs in the last over and all that). Maybe it's too early to say, but I'd like to think he's turned a corner from the guy who used to plod along with a strike rate lower than any of the maligned above him...

grecian

Ravi showed he had the ability to be a decent hitter in the lower order during the CT (28 runs in the last over and all that). Maybe it's too early to say, but I'd like to think he's turned a corner from the guy who used to plod along with a strike rate lower than any of the maligned above him...
I'm not saying he hasn't I'm saying he's a guy who can consolidate, but then accelerate, if necessary, which at that position is what is needed. If he hadn't learnt that I'd want him dropped, no matter how lovely he is/was.