• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Onions has 63 @ 17.73 in the County Championship.

200 and first batting point up for Durham. 250 and a win would confirm Durham as champions regardless of what happens elsewhere.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cheers for that, pretty mean average, He really does deserve to be back in the test team.
In place of who though? It's all well and good saying his county average says he should be there but there's a knack to getting county batsmen out which isn't the same as that of getting Test batsmen out, been a lot of bowlers over the years who've been in a similar position whereby they're great for a county side but when they have to bowl to better players they're innocuous. If everyone is fit then for me there's no place in the Test line up for him and I'd be wary of putting him ahead of some of the other reserve bowlers to be honest, clearly his stock has fallen since this time last year, and that for me might be based on what the selectors and management observed of him when he was with the squad in the winter.

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah, fair points about Onions - no-one would deny he's had a terrific season, more wickets for him today, but even in the Ashes squad he's up against Rankin, Tremlett and maybe Woakes for the last quick bowler's place (assuming that Anderson, Broad, Finn and Bresnan do go). Unlucky player whose last experience of Test cricket may well turn out to be getting smashed round the park by Tino Best and Denesh Ramdin.

Surprised to see no posts here today btw. Durham only four wickets away from the title, while Notts have a slender lead - so that should finish early tomorrow, weather permitting.

Not a crunch match but 100s by Vince and Dawson putting the Leics bowlers on the rack at Leicester. Bit of a shock not to see Freckingham in the line-up, he's played every match only to miss the last. Normally he'd have his 1 for 100 by now.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Notts 7 down now so Durham will be champions before lunch tomorrow. Lead only 24, need an Andre Adams special just to have something to bowl at.

At the other end this defeat means Notts and Somerset who meet next week will be watching the Derbyshire match anxiously.

Pothas

Not a crunch match but 100s by Vince and Dawson putting the Leics bowlers on the rack at Leicester. Bit of a shock not to see Freckingham in the line-up, he's played every match only to miss the last. Normally he'd have his 1 for 100 by now.
Vince with his 4th ton and 1000 championship runs for the season as well, really good year and much needed after last season

stumpski

International Captain
Notts all out now, Durham have 69 to chase - either take the extra half hour or wait for the weather to abate tomorrow.

Surrey 386-5 have made nearly as many as they did in two innings at Taunton. Bowling Warks out twice in two rain-affected days looks a forlorn hope though.

Scaly piscine

Still marc will be glad to know that Warwickshire were the only away team to claim a batting point at Chester-le-Street this season. Almost makes up for Stokes being much better than Woakes doesn't it.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
In place of who though? It's all well and good saying his county average says he should be there but there's a knack to getting county batsmen out which isn't the same as that of getting Test batsmen out, been a lot of bowlers over the years who've been in a similar position whereby they're great for a county side but when they have to bowl to better players they're innocuous. If everyone is fit then for me there's no place in the Test line up for him and I'd be wary of putting him ahead of some of the other reserve bowlers to be honest, clearly his stock has fallen since this time last year, and that for me might be based on what the selectors and management observed of him when he was with the squad in the winter.
Curious for an example of a consistent Division One bowler who has not converted to Tests. I think bowling converts nicely from good First Class to Test without much issue. I think a lot will be made of how he was low on pace when he played for England Lions on TV recently. However, Tremlett was mainly around 80mph when he was so good in Ashes in Australia. I don't think lack of pace is a big issue if you are as consistently threatening as Onions.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
So it's official, Durham have won the County Championship. Deserved for me, had a gun bowling attack all year round and good leadership from Collingwood.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

There it is. Durham wins the County Championship. Woohoo, arise Sir Paul Collingwood :)

Suck on it Yorkshi*e and all those people who predicted relegation.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably the worst batting line up ever to win the champs. And that's coming from someone who wanted them to win.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Probably the worst batting line up ever to win the champs. And that's coming from someone who wanted them to win.
They're not that bad. Borthwick and Stoneman both in the top 10 run scorers in the divison. 36 batting points this season too which is about the standard for this season. Difference has been their bowling, 43 bowling bonus points and if i'm not mistaken not too many visiting teams have taken batting points away from them at Durham ICG.