• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a shame because he's a great example of working through the ranks from club level. Thought he might give it a good shot.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hoggard retiring then and Harmy bound to follow. Suspect that Simon Jones will finally give it up as well come the end of the season as well, feels like they all retired a long time ago.
The way he's gone this year, Tres might call it a day too.

Not many of the class of 2005 around next year.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Hoggard retiring then and Harmy bound to follow. Suspect that Simon Jones will finally give it up as well come the end of the season as well, feels like they all retired a long time ago.
Yeah, how weird to think a guy like Strauss called it quits before any of them. Definitely feels like they left us ages ago.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The way he's gone this year, Tres might call it a day too.

Not many of the class of 2005 around next year.
Sad times. The end of an era. I don't think I appreciated it at the time but the 2005 series was just such an incredibly high standard of cricket. Each player in that series should have a special place in history.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Eight years is a long time in cricket, I suppose.

From the crims there's only Katich, Clarke & Tait still doing the rounds too. & neither Katich nor Tait play their domestic FC.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, Hoggy. Great servant.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Williamson was such a fantastic signing for a batting order that seems to be just coming together at the right time. It didn't half look in poor shape a few weeks ago when we ended up batting the spinners at 5.

You could argue that we're now batting a spinner at 3, but I prefer not to think about his bowling.

91Jmay

International Coach
Agreed, not unsurprisingly, perfectly promising looking bowler, still only 21 and has decent figures in all forms.

Yes, he's been a bit of a disappointment, considering all the hype, but I'm just putting that down to the hideousness of where he was born.

Honestly, believe him and the Overtons could be a very decent and contrasting attack for Somerset in a few years time.

His batting though is the terrible thing, the fact is that I'm sure he was touted as a batting all-rounder for much of his youth, but it just hasn't happened. A shame, but I kind of agree with Scaly that he shouldn't be batting at 6, let Chawla do it or anyone else. Needs to relax down the order and maybe he could score a few 30 or 40s and come on from there.
He is a standard county bowler, with very similar figures to Craig Meschede and if he is anything more than a tailender he is doing a good job of hiding it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder what odds you've got on Amla bagging a pair at Taunton of all places, not just the traditional flat pitch but the attack they have. Incredible.

Bit miffed at Durham's slow scoring rate in the latter part of their innings. It's not just the fact that situation makes slow runs almost entirely pointless since Durham are largely safe unless it turns into a minefield on day 4 (it's like when Clarke declared behind v West Indies, if they collapse you almost certainly win because of the skill differential and fact you're chasing a total that should be easy - else it's a draw) but it also makes it a lot harder to get the 4th or 5th batting points.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is a standard county bowler, with very similar figures to Craig Meschede and if he is anything more than a tailender he is doing a good job of hiding it.
umm so I actually think meschede is a decent bowler in County cricket Pews always talk nonsense.. and I said gregory's batting has been horrible so far.

Scaly piscine;3134818[B said:
]Wonder what odds you've got on Amla bagging a pair at Taunton of all places, not just the traditional flat pitch but the attack they have. Incredible.
[/B]
Bit miffed at Durham's slow scoring rate in the latter part of their innings. It's not just the fact that situation makes slow runs almost entirely pointless since Durham are largely safe unless it turns into a minefield on day 4 (it's like when Clarke declared behind v West Indies, if they collapse you almost certainly win because of the skill differential and fact you're chasing a total that should be easy - else it's a draw) but it also makes it a lot harder to get the 4th or 5th batting points.
Funny isn't it that all Somerset Batsmen have to be downgraded on the amount of runs they score at Taunton, but the bowlers don't get the reciprocal bounce. Mind you Scaly you're not one to rail against people taking a stereotypical view of your county's home ground, so I guess that's fair enough.....

Last edited: