• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official English County Cricket 2013**

91Jmay

International Coach
To be clear, I mean to say that about a 24 year old on debut. Obviously the rest is his opinion so can't be wrong.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't make him any less wrong though.
Meh, I think the general accusation is I don't rate him after one Test performance though, when I have not rated him long time.

You're quite right, doesn't make me right, just not as reactionary as some may suggest.

I actually quite rate his batting though.....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why do you love him so much if you have not seen him much with the red ball? Can't be seeing him bowl in limited overs surley.
Think Cabinet's a bit like me in that once he's spent a little bit of time defending players from unfair criticism, he gets a bit attached to them. And given the nature of Woakes in general, he will always attract unfair criticism.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think Cabinet's a bit like me in that once he's spent a little bit of time defending players from unfair criticism, he gets a bit attached to them. And given the nature of Woakes in general, he will always attract unfair criticism.
Yeah, Smith is the same. There's a bit more to it with Woakes though, I liked him before I ever heard any criticism of him though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Smith is the same. There's a bit more to it with Woakes though, I liked him before I ever heard any criticism of him though.
Haha, me too actually. I guess for someone who follows County Championship scorecards and reports really closely without seeing much of it, the idea of someone rated extremely highly as a young batsmen coming out and taking hundreds of wickets @ 22 or something opening the bowling, then backing it up by starting to fulfil his batting potential with lower order hundreds is just really exciting.

91Jmay

International Coach
Meh, I think the general accusation is I don't rate him after one Test performance though, when I have not rated him long time.

You're quite right, doesn't make me right, just not as reactionary as some may suggest.

I actually quite rate his batting though.....
Fair enough, I think he has the tools to be a 3rd seamer/number 7 in test cricket, especially with his added pace (although I have to question 87MPH which is what the gun said for a few of them. He never looks that fast live).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair enough, I think he has the tools to be a 3rd seamer/number 7 in test cricket, especially with his added pace (although I have to question 87MPH which is what the gun said for a few of them. He never looks that fast live).
I think he's a bit like pre-injury Watson in that his trajectory is so predictable and he gets so little movement in the air that batsmen have more time against him and he looks slower than he is. He looks a very coached bowler; bowls whatever the opposite of a heavy ball is.

I wonder if it was an England directive for him to put on some pace; it might explain why he hasn't really been himself with the ball this season if that pace has come at the expense at some of his seam movement or accuracy.

91Jmay

International Coach
He is much stronger physically this season, earlier on in the year he was warming up and I was walking past the nets at Edgbaston and it struck me how much bigger he looked. Think the ECB must have asked him to put on some size, he hasn't bowled that much worse this year for the Bears to be honest. Our issue is runs, or lack of them should I say and the knock on effects that has on bowling.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think he's a bit like pre-injury Watson in that his trajectory is so predictable and he gets so little movement in the air that batsmen have more time against him and he looks slower than he is. He looks a very coached bowler; bowls whatever the opposite of a heavy ball is.

I wonder if it was an England directive for him to put on some pace; it might explain why he hasn't really been himself with the ball this season if that pace has come at the expense at some of his seam movement or accuracy.
Yeah, he definitely bowls what I'd call a light ball. Why someone like Watson can dominate him despite Cricinfo telling me no one bowled a quicker average ball on day one.

In fairness to him, he got a few poles last game, against Yorkshire, and has been OK in general. Has been around with England a lot more this summer though. Interestingly I commented on him being at Durham during the last game - maybe he was working on strengthening and upping the pace, with a fitness coach or Saker that weak.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, I think there is an England player in there. The thing for me is remembering Bresnan at this age, and to me Woakes is a long way ahead of where he was. Although granted he is a different kind of bowler, heavy ball and all that.

I should obviously point out I am heavily bias, obviously.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cabinet's ****ing obsessed with reminding everyone that Tremlett's lost pace but plainly saying he's been 'slower that Woakes' is somewhat disingenuous

Scaly piscine

Love how Durham's reserve bowlers are pretty much up there with most regulars in other sides. So much bowling seam bowling talent up here for some reason.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Was 'down' on pace in Australia, but did pretty well. Tremlett generally bowls around 83/84mph when I've seen him. It's his height and bounce that make him dangerous, and I think it's pretty obvious that he'd have done a much better job in this Test match than Kerrigan and Woakes.