• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now only two teams haven't been whitewashed!!

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm just going to point out that Chris Martin had a better bowling average than Dale Steyn in either 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which). That has absolutely no bearing on who is in a better class than who. You could cherry-pick stats for hours, proving that certain average batsmen were better than quality batsmen at certain points, but it doesn't prove much. I'd like to see how many of you would pick Samuels over AB to play in an XI if you had the choice between them. That would be ludicrous.

I'm not even going to approach the Amla comparison because I may find myself ending up with a broken laptop screen.
I might just take that punt because Samuels has looked divine when he's been on song over the last year and a half. People seem to be underselling him a little on class here; sure, he doesn't have the consistency or the mental make up - and who knows what that is and how it is perceived - of an Amla or De Villiers, but he definitely is no slouch and I'll put him in the same bracket as the other two if we're talking pure batting class.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
You could put Ashraful up there too, tbf. Doesn't mean ****. Amla and de Villiers are way better batsmen.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I might just take that punt because Samuels has looked divine when he's been on song over the last year and a half. People seem to be underselling him a little on class here; sure, he doesn't have the consistency or the mental make up - and who knows what that is and how it is perceived - of an Amla or De Villiers, but he definitely is no slouch and I'll put him in the same bracket as the other two if we're talking pure batting class.
AB looks the most divine batsman in the world when on song, along with Pietersen.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm just going to point out that Chris Martin had a better bowling average than Dale Steyn in either 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which). That has absolutely no bearing on who is in a better class than who. You could cherry-pick stats for hours, proving that certain average batsmen were better than quality batsmen at certain points, but it doesn't prove much. I'd like to see how many of you would pick Samuels over AB to play in an XI if you had the choice between them. That would be ludicrous.

I'm not even going to approach the Amla comparison because I may find myself ending up with a broken laptop screen.
No need to get angry!!..Marlon proved himself in all conditions against top, middle and low ranked opposition last year, the Martin and Steyn comparison is simply frivolous imo and isn't a good example of how Marlon and AB really compare :unsure: .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say that it's actually a perfect counter to your wild claims. The other thing you ignore is the number of games which they've done it over, 7 is minuscule in that respect, especially when followed by 2 dire ones.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'd say that it's actually a perfect counter to your wild claims. The other thing you ignore is the number of games which they've done it over, 7 is minuscule in that respect, especially when followed by 2 dire ones.
Say's someone who couldn't even get the stats right from last year? :huh: you tried to twist it into a rankings thing even though i;ve never mentioned rankings, i said judging from last years stats and his ability I BELIEVE he can stand side by side to them, people are welcome to disgaree, but to act like such a notion is impossible is just being silly imo.

And if getting a 50 in the only innings he played in one of his last two tests is "dire" then i guess the game is filled with Bradman's galor!! :ph34r: .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So why use last years? Because 2013 is more relevant to the standing and it doesn't suit you to see that?The rankings are a much better indicator of where players stand in relation to each other as they take everything into account. Samuels has had a few good games, nothing like the record AB and Amla have shown.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So why use last years? Because 2013 is more relevant to the standing and it doesn't suit you to see that?
Because Samuels has only played two innings of test cricket this year compared to the eight that Amla and AB have played.

The rankings are a much better indicator of where players stand in relation to each other as they take everything into account. Samuels has had a few good games, nothing like the record AB and Amla have shown.
I've already said in terms of their whole careers Amla and AB have obviously done better, but last year was an indication that Samuels has the ability to stand side by side to them guys, thats just my view.

It's ok to disagree, you and others don't think Samuels is that good? fine, we can all move on now.