• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now only two teams haven't been whitewashed!!

Satyanash89

Banned
He has been good but Compton was good against NZ and you don't see anyone claiming he is as good as Amla/AB. Cherrypicking sample sizes of very small amounts of games to suit an argument is what he does best.

How is Narine doing these days anyway?
Compton had two good games, Samuels has been superb for a year. And on "current form" it could be argued that Samuels is in the same class as them

WindieWeathers

International Regular
He has been good but Compton was good against NZ and you don't see anyone claiming he is as good as Amla/AB. Cherrypicking sample sizes of very small amounts of games to suit an argument is what he does best.

How is Narine doing these days anyway?
To be fair though Marlon done it in England aswell, who were then number one, so it's not like he just picked on Bang all year, Compton has only done it in one series thus far, Marlon done it in every series he played last year, that's the difference.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Compton had two good games, Samuels has been superb for a year. And on "current form" it could be argued that Samuels is in the same class as them
I'm glad i'm not alone in that opinion, i think some people just see me say something and immediatly feel compelled to rail against it, the stats are there in black and white at the end of the day, i don't have to prove anything.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm glad i'm not alone in that opinion, i think some people just see me say something and immediatly feel compelled to rail against it, the stats are there in black and white at the end of the day, i don't have to prove anything.
At least Marlon has actually done something half decent for once. The last two you hyped up as megastars (Brathwaite and Narine) have been dropped for not cutting it. Any wonder why people roll their eyes and disagree with you?

Satyanash89

Banned
woah there let's slow down a bit :p
I never said i agreed with your opinion that Samuels is in Amla/ABDV class, even on current form... personally think theyve done it against mostly better opposition and have thus had the better year 2012. Was just saying that if someone did say Samuels of 2012 was as good as Amla/ABDV of 2012, he shouldnt be scoffed at.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even though WindieWeathers ' bias can be annoying, I don't think he's claimed anything outrageous by saying Samuels is as good as Amla and ABDV on current form.
The guy has been seriously good
Except he's claiming current form then ignoring that and going back to games that suit him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but you're not using current stats are you? That's the point - he may have been close to them in 2012, but current stats he's not as they've continued on their form this year, he hasn't.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
At least Marlon has actually done something half decent for once. The last two you hyped up as megastars (Brathwaite and Narine) have been dropped for not cutting it. Any wonder why people roll their eyes and disagree with you?
Kraigg had one bad series against Australia and then lost form for Barbados, yesterday in a four day game though it looked like the penny had finally dropped and he battled to a 91 not out while his team mates fell all around him, he's only 20 so he's got plenty of time to get back in the side, he looked like Chanders yesterday and thats no "hype", it's what everyone saw.

As for Narine, apparently he was "rested" for the Zim series, thats the words of our coach Ottis Gibson, we will see if he's back in the fold when we play a big series against Pakistan in July.

I understand that i can go over the top sometimes, but at least Marlon has the numbers to back it up, so it's not just an opinion there's facts to consider aswell.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes, but you're not using current stats are you? That's the point - he may have been close to them in 2012, but current stats he's not as they've continued on their form this year, he hasn't.
He's played TWO INNINGS though, one of which he got a solid 50, so your last statement is a little overstated imo.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The lack of innings is taken into account by the overall rankings (you know the one's where Amla is 1, AB 3 and Marlon 18, 1 below Ian Bell FFS)

He's not close to them just because of a short purple patch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I stand by it. As a bowler he's just as good as Jadeja (which is to say, not very good).

They're both useless ****s that shouldn't be in the test team, but Raina adds more if they're batting at 7.
I guess my main point is that we know Raina as a batsman is not test quality, but then neither is Jadeja.

Moreover, Jadeja hasn't been picked (and will never be picked) as 1st or even 2nd spinner. He makes the team as 3rd spinner/allrounder.

I don't think you'd lose anything with Raina in this position.

Daemon

Amla

daylight

AB
Samuels

Saying Samuels atm can stand shoulder to shoulder with AB as a batsmen isn't a stretch, but he certainly is nowhere near as good as Amla.

Since his comeback he's played 8 series, of which only the three in 2012 were productive for him. He was no doubt gun in those, obvious a good batsmen, but when you compare it to AB, who's last poor series was back in 09/10...

I'm not even going to compare him to Amla, who's just too much of a gun.

flibbertyjibber

Samuels only reaches the ABDV level when ABDV is hampered as a bat by having to take the gloves as well. Says a lot about how good he is as a bat only. Makes you wonder whether Prior would be any better without gloves for England.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'm just going to point out that Chris Martin had a better bowling average than Dale Steyn in either 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which). That has absolutely no bearing on who is in a better class than who. You could cherry-pick stats for hours, proving that certain average batsmen were better than quality batsmen at certain points, but it doesn't prove much. I'd like to see how many of you would pick Samuels over AB to play in an XI if you had the choice between them. That would be ludicrous.

I'm not even going to approach the Amla comparison because I may find myself ending up with a broken laptop screen.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Lets have some fun, this beat is sick

Over the past 12 months:

Bowling averages:
Jadeja>Ajmal,Ashwin
Robin Peterson>Ajmal
Tino Best>Philander,Anderson
Shillingford>Any spinner in the world bar Jadeja

etc etc.