Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Now only two teams haven't been whitewashed!!

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Samuels only reaches the ABDV level when ABDV is hampered as a bat by having to take the gloves as well. Says a lot about how good he is as a bat only. Makes you wonder whether Prior would be any better without gloves for England.

Tournaments Won: 1
    I'm just going to point out that Chris Martin had a better bowling average than Dale Steyn in either 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which). That has absolutely no bearing on who is in a better class than who. You could cherry-pick stats for hours, proving that certain average batsmen were better than quality batsmen at certain points, but it doesn't prove much. I'd like to see how many of you would pick Samuels over AB to play in an XI if you had the choice between them. That would be ludicrous.

I'm not even going to approach the Amla comparison because I may find myself ending up with a broken laptop screen.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Lets have some fun, this beat is sick

Over the past 12 months:

Bowling averages:
    Jadeja>Ajmal,Ashwin
    Robin Peterson>Ajmal
    Tino Best>Philander,Anderson
    Shillingford>Any spinner in the world bar Jadeja

etc etc.

In case anyone wants to do the same for batsmen, here are the stats:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

I noticed Angelo Matthews > Ross Taylor and MS Dhoni> Pietersen but I have to go get ready now.

jadeja > shillingford the pick imo
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I'm just going to point out that Chris Martin had a better bowling average than Dale Steyn in either 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which). That has absolutely no bearing on who is in a better class than who. You could cherry-pick stats for hours, proving that certain average batsmen were better than quality batsmen at certain points, but it doesn't prove much. I'd like to see how many of you would pick Samuels over AB to play in an XI if you had the choice between them. That would be ludicrous.

I'm not even going to approach the Amla comparison because I may find myself ending up with a broken laptop screen.
    I might just take that punt because Samuels has looked divine when he's been on song over the last year and a half. People seem to be underselling him a little on class here; sure, he doesn't have the consistency or the mental make up - and who knows what that is and how it is perceived - of an Amla or De Villiers, but he definitely is no slouch and I'll put him in the same bracket as the other two if we're talking pure batting class.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 27-03-2013 at 04:54 AM.

You could put Ashraful up there too, tbf. Doesn't mean ****. Amla and de Villiers are way better batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    I might just take that punt because Samuels has looked divine when he's been on song over the last year and a half. People seem to be underselling him a little on class here; sure, he doesn't have the consistency or the mental make up - and who knows what that is and how it is perceived - of an Amla or De Villiers, but he definitely is no slouch and I'll put him in the same bracket as the other two if we're talking pure batting class.
    AB looks the most divine batsman in the world when on song, along with Pietersen.

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post

No need to get angry!!..Marlon proved himself in all conditions against top, middle and low ranked opposition last year, the Martin and Steyn comparison is simply frivolous imo and isn't a good example of how Marlon and AB really compare .
    One Day cups- Champions trophy winners-T20 cup-29 test series without defeat record- and some think we're a "minnow".

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I'd say that it's actually a perfect counter to your wild claims. The other thing you ignore is the number of games which they've done it over, 7 is minuscule in that respect, especially when followed by 2 dire ones.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    I'd say that it's actually a perfect counter to your wild claims. The other thing you ignore is the number of games which they've done it over, 7 is minuscule in that respect, especially when followed by 2 dire ones.
    Say's someone who couldn't even get the stats right from last year? you tried to twist it into a rankings thing even though i;ve never mentioned rankings, i said judging from last years stats and his ability I BELIEVE he can stand side by side to them, people are welcome to disgaree, but to act like such a notion is impossible is just being silly imo.

And if getting a 50 in the only innings he played in one of his last two tests is "dire" then i guess the game is filled with Bradman's galor!! .

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So why use last years? Because 2013 is more relevant to the standing and it doesn't suit you to see that?The rankings are a much better indicator of where players stand in relation to each other as they take everything into account. Samuels has had a few good games, nothing like the record AB and Amla have shown.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    So why use last years? Because 2013 is more relevant to the standing and it doesn't suit you to see that?
    Because Samuels has only played two innings of test cricket this year compared to the eight that Amla and AB have played.

The rankings are a much better indicator of where players stand in relation to each other as they take everything into account. Samuels has had a few good games, nothing like the record AB and Amla have shown.
    I've already said in terms of their whole careers Amla and AB have obviously done better, but last year was an indication that Samuels has the ability to stand side by side to them guys, thats just my view.

It's ok to disagree, you and others don't think Samuels is that good? fine, we can all move on now.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information