• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do West Indies stand right now?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Today's victory makes that six test wins in a row, seven test matches unbeaten and three test series won in a row. So the question is where do WI stand as a force in test cricket at the moment? obviously we're no SA and beating Zim doesn't mean a whole bunch but when you consider that we beat NZ 2-0 who are giving England a rough ride right now (yes i know NZ are at home but still..), and Bang drew a test in Sri-lanka recently and yet we beat them 2-0 away, is it too much to say we're improving? :ph34r: .

ganeshran

International Debutant
Windies and NZ are at par IMO. Both will beat each other at home and get beaten away. Even England are finding it hard to beat Kiwis at home

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I'm looking at them rankings and I can't say WIndies really are better than 7th, Sri Lanka is imho a fair bit better as a side they've definitely got the edge on batsmen and the contest between the bowlers is a close one.

Slifer

International Captain
IMO WI are 7th in world rankings. WI have no chance in hell of beating the following teams away: Eng, Oz, India, Pakistan, RSA, SL. Fancy WI chances at home vs all the above teams except for Oz and RSA. We recently beat teams that we r supposed to be beating but for me, our batting lineup (especially when Shiv retires) remains a major concern.

Flem274*

123/5
They're a reasonable team atm, but the moment of truth will be when firstly Chanderpaul retires and then Gayle and Samuels. Those three have been their best batsmen for a period of time now and when they're gone/decline the Windies need the likes of Bravo to take charge.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If it's possible to stand up a creek that's where they currently stand. Unfortunately if it isn't possible to stand up a creek they're also not in possession of a paddle.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe a better way to interpret the question would be to answer how good they actually are compared to recent times, rather than just ranking them. Reckon they're a fair bit better than they were about 3 years ago when shunts like Dowlin, Nash etc were still turning up for them, and they didn't have a good spinner (Benn iirc). Now they have Samuels back in gun form, Barath dropped, Chanders solid as ever, the emergence of Bravo, decent pace bowlers in Roach and (imo) Gabriel, the mandatory chucker in Shillingford - they've improved a bit.

They're still not very good though. Their crop of new young batsmen still leave a lot to be desired. Barath and Brathwaite weren't up to it, Kirk Edwards had a decent start but was **** against England, Powell looks alright but nothing special of course. Chanders retiring will hit them hard. Samuels and Gayle retiring approximately a couple of seasons later won't help either.

Ranking wise I don't think they're ahead of anyone they were behind back then.