10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

5 50.00%
  • England

5 50.00%
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket draft 1945 -1977

It's started, Himannv to pick
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Come on Sam!
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    Yep, 12 players seems like the right amount in my book. I guess the fairest thing would be to start the first round in order of who replied first, so that would mean the first round order would be this:

- Himmanv
    - Monk
    - Howe_zat
    - Pathos
    - LongHopCassidy
    - kingkallis
    - Blakus
    - AndyZaltzHair
    - watson
    - fredfertang
    - bagapath
    - jimmy101 (myself)

So, feel free to take it away when you are ready Himmanv, let's get this game started!

Well, it's been over 12 hours, and I might not be back on line today. So I'm going to take Garry Sobers.

Keith Miller

Dennis Lillee

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Also, a few rules. Firstly, selected players must have made their DEBUT during this era, however, to allow some of the pre-WWII titans into the fold I will accept pre-WWII players who played 75% of their overall matches during this era. This means that players such as Len Hutton, Lindsay Hassett, Cyril Washbrook, Dudley Nourse and Denis Compton will be allowed whereas players such as Don Bradman, Wally Hammond and George Headley cannot be selected.

Secondly, players who never played in a Test Match but played First Class cricket are allowed to be selected. This means that South African players who were affected by the Apartheid boycott, such as Clive Rice and Garth Le Roux, are up for grabs.

Finally, the 17th of March, 1977, is the cut off date for players as that was when the Centenary Test ended.

Any questions?
    Just to clarify a point: I assume DEBUT means First Class debut rather than Test Match debut because we are allowed to pick players who never played a Test Match like Clive Rice.

That is, is it OK to select players who made their FC debut prior to 17th March 1977?
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Hahaha. Pathos.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Just to clarify a point: I assume DEBUT means First Class debut rather than Test Match debut because we are allowed to pick players who never played a Test Match like Clive Rice.

That is, is it OK to select players who made their FC debut prior to 17th March 1977?
    Yes, that's right, players must have made their First Class debut before the cut off date. By the way, thanks for starting this game off guys since Himannv hasn't made his first selection yet. Let's keep it going

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Just another question on voting: will it be based on how the players performed within this timeline (1945- 1977) or on their overall career performance?
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyZaltzHair View Post
    Just another question on voting: will it be based on how the players performed within this timeline (1945- 1977) or on their overall career performance?
    Good question, I guess it would make more sense to base the vote on the players performance during this time ('45 - '77). This would mean that players such as Allan Border and Abdul Qadir who made their First Class debut during this time but not their Test debut would be worth alot less than usual.

Does anyone have any objections to this?

Cricket Spectator
    To be honest I didn't take that into consideration, so I'm easy to let the players who debuted around '75, '76 & '77 to be judged on their entire career. Please let me know what you guys think about this...

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    To be honest I didn't take that into consideration, so I'm easy to let the players who debuted around '75, '76 & '77 to be judged on their entire career. Please let me know what you guys think about this...
    Yeh, their entire careers imo. It's a pretty narrow draft already with 12 people (which is cool, cos it makes it more challenging), so entire career could be better.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yeh, their entire careers imo. It's a pretty narrow draft already with 12 people (which is cool, cos it makes it more challenging), so entire career could be better.
    Yeah, good call Monk, I'm sort of leaning the same way considering we're allowing the pre-WWII players into the fold, I guess this will open up the talent pool a bit and the pickings wont be so slim towards the end of the game.

So, just to clarify: Players' entire careers will be taken into consideration come the vote.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Sunil Gavaskar.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar

So, just to clarify: Players' entire careers will be taken into consideration come the vote.
    ok cool

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information