• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket draft 1945 -1977

Who will win the 2013 Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say I'm more than happy with my XI so, on the basis that I reckon dear old Ollie might have a few muscle strains that keep him off the field for a time, that it is somehow appropriate that the man of the Centenary Test should be selected, and that with him and Colin Bland in the covers the oppo simply won't score any runs on the off side, its Arkle for me

1.Trevor Goddard
2. Colin Milburn
3. Colin Bland
4.Tom Graveney
5.Collie Smith
6.Tony Greig
7.Farokh Engineer
8.Jim Laker
9. Alec Bedser
10. Fred Trueman
11. Fazal Mahmood

Twelfthers Derek Randall

watson

Banned
That 7 bowlers Fred, which has to be some kind of record.

Did you deliberately pick 3 all rounders, or did you just the like players and it was some kind of coincidence?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Barry Richards
3. Mohinder Amarnath
4. Seymour Nurse
5. Graham Yallop
6. Garry Sobers*
7. Rod Marsh+
8. Garth le Roux
9. Vintcent van der Bijl
10. Jeff Thomson
11. Bhagwath Chandrasekhar

12. Charlie Davis

Pretty happy with my team, strong batting and bowling line ups, though le Roux and van der Bijl may be underrated here.

watson

Banned
Just bagapath to pick and we're all done - apart from Howe of course who is currently over in the Footy Tipping thread. Perhaps Jimmy (or someone) can complete his team in one go after bagapath has made his final selection. Seems a shame to let Keith Miller go to waste.

Must say I enjoyed seeing a lot of new players never selected before. Hopefully people will be brave enough to select them again in future Drafts.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just bagapath to pick and we're all done - apart from Howe of course who is currently over in the Footy Tipping thread. Perhaps Jimmy (or someone) can complete his team in one go after bagapath has made his final selection. Seems a shame to let Keith Miller go to waste.

Must say I enjoyed seeing a lot of new players never selected before. Hopefully people will be brave enough to select them again in future Drafts.
I'll finish Howe's team off if he doesn't.

watson

Banned
Indeed, it would be nice to scavenge his players, but would ruin the drafting process ultimately. So, now that we are nearing the close can some one please show me how to set up the upcoming poll asking everyone who they think has the best side? Cheers guys, it has been a great little exercise thus far, I only apologise for timing out on the odd occasion because this thing has been moving so quickly the past few rounds. Special thanks must go out to Watson who has been practically running the show.
1. Start a New Thread
2. Tick the box next to: 'Yes, post a poll with this thread'
3. Type the number of poll options (12) in the box.
4. Follow your nose.

Note: We normally give 3 votes per voter, and allow everyone to see everyone elses votes. The Poll remains open for 7 days then the winner(s) is declared.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Me too, it is a great way to learn more about cricket in general. I've never looked closely at India's spinners before, or any South African from the apartheid era, apart from Pollock, Richards and Procter.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Feels like we've only just scratched the surface. Here are a few other teams that are made up entirely of leftovers that could give a few of our sides a run for their money...

Pankaj Roy --------- John F Reid ----------- Hylton Ackerman
Cyril Washbrook ----- Jimmy Cook (c) ----- Moshin Khan
Peter Burge ------- Vijay Manjrekar --------- John Wright
Mike Smith (c) ----- Majid Khan ----------- Peter Kirsten
Duleep Mendis ----- Mike Gatting ----------- Larry Gomes
Duncan Fletcher ----- Chandu Borde -------- Intikhab Alam (c)
Paul Dujon (+) ----- Imitaz Ahmed (+) -------- Bruce Taylor
Ian Johnson --------- Bapu Nadkarni -------- Wally Grout (+)
Ashley Mallett --------- Lance Cairns -------- John Traicos
Ray Illingworth ----- S Venkataraghavan ----- Vanburn Holder
Richard Collenge ----- Pervez Sajjad ----- Khan Mohammad
12th Keith Boyce 12th Keith Stackpole 12th Bob Woolmer

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Not to mention the West Indian quicks Charlie Griffith and Roy Gilchrist who I thought were dead cert's before we started.

Colin McDonald was also unlucky, and possibly the best batsman not selected because of the resistance he put up against Trueman, Hall, and Adcock/Heine. Indeed Adcock/Heine targeted his head during the 1957/58 series and reputedly gave him quite a beating, Still managed to average a creditable 44 for the 5 Tests though.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, can't believe that I also forgot Griffith and McDonald. If Howe-zat doesn't return would it be worth while entering this team into the fold?...(made up from Howe's original selections)

Sid Barnes
Cyril Washbrook
Clyde Walcott (+)
Ken Barrington
Colin Cowdrey (c)
Colin McDonald
Keith Miller
Charlie Griffith
Intikhab Alam
Erapalli Prasanna
Bill Johnson
12th Ray Illingworth

Of course, if Bagapath chooses any of the players here they are his. Can anyone pick a better side than this using Howe's picks and a few of your own?

watson

Banned
More examples.......

Bill Edrich was a gutsy No.3 and gives the team another pace option. Intikhab was quite a handy batsman and should be at No.8. All in all, a cracking side.

01. Sid Barnes
02. Colin McDonald
03. Bill Edrich
04. Colin Cowdrey (c)
05. Ken Barrington
06. Clyde Walcott (+)
07. Keith Miller
08. Intikhab Alam
09. Charlie Griffith
10. Erapalli Prasanna
11. Bill Johnston

Or something that looks more conventional. Boyce averaged 24 with the bat and 30 with the ball, plus a great fielder. I think I like this team even better;

01. Sid Barnes
02. Colin McDonald
03. Clyde Walcott
04. Colin Cowdrey (c)
05. Ken Barrington
06. Keith Miller
07. Jeff Dujon +
08. Keith Boyce
09. Charlie Griffith
10. Erapalli Prasanna
11. Bill Johnston

Have fun MONK......

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Finally decided on Asif Iqbal at No.6, circa 1971.

01. Desmond Haynes
02. Roy Fredericks
03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Neil Harvey
05. Clive Lloyd
06. Asif Iqbal
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Garth McKenzie
10. John Snow
11. Derek Underwood

12th Bevan Congdon