• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket draft 1945 -1977

Who will win the 2013 Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingkallis

International Coach
..... and then there's was just fertang to go, perhaps appropriate that the oldest man in the field brings up the rear.

I need an opening batsman ('cos I don't fancy putting Engineer there). I reckon I've got a tremendous attack so my main fear is that the weather might thwart me, so I need a bit of ooomph at the top of the order, particularly as I have Goddard to drop anchor if necessary, so there are really only two possibilities for the job. I initially fancied Harold Gimblett, but fortunately managed to work out that despite his long post war career he's not quite eligible, so the job goes to one of my all-time personal favourites, Big Ollie :)

1.Trevor Goddard
2. Colin Milburn
3. Colin Bland
4.Tom Graveney
5.Collie Smith
6.Tony Greig
7.Farokh Engineer
8.Jim Laker
9. Alec Bedser
10. Fred Trueman
11. Fazal Mahmood
Good bowling line up there, FF!

Himannv

International Coach
12th man is so useless in these sort of drafts. I'll just pick the best fielder as that's probably the best value for my team.

Eknath Solkar

Himannv

International Coach
01. Graham Gooch
02. Kepler Wessels
03. Ted Dexter
04. Denis Compton
05. Peter May
06. Lawrence Rowe
07. Imran Khan*
08. Godfrey Evans+
09. Johnny Wardle
10. Tony Lock
11. Frank Tyson

12th man - Eknath Solkar

Fairly pleased with this side.

bagapath

International Captain
01. Graham Gooch
02. Kepler Wessels
03. Ted Dexter
04. Denis Compton
05. Peter May
06. Lawrence Rowe
07. Imran Khan*
08. Godfrey Evans+
09. Johnny Wardle
10. Tony Lock
11. Frank Tyson

12th man - Eknath Solkar

Fairly pleased with this side.
even with dexter, may be one pacer short. but superb team. possibly among the top 3 of this draft along with kk and watson's teams. fred has a cracking bowling attack though

Last edited:

watson

Banned
It's ironic that Lock replaced Wardle and then kept him out of the England team, but here they are paired in the same hypothetical side.

Dexter, Compton, May and Rowe is a very strong middle order, but bagapath does have a point that the side maybe a quality pacer short. However, this is offset somewhat by the fact that both Lock and Wardle are attacking left-armers, rather than the containment type. Hence the attack is more likely to pick-up the 20 wickets necessary.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Graham Yallop. Solid fielder, and a great batsman to boot. May have been better to have him in the XI...

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
It's ironic that Lock replaced Wardle and then kept him out of the England team, but here they are paired in the same hypothetical side.
Yeah it's very ironic and it isn't a coincidence that they're both on my team. I picked Wardle first and then realized he didn't play more games as Lock kept him out of the team. Thought it subsequently made sense to pick him ahead of Gupte as a result,

watson

Banned
ROUND 12
- jimmy101- Joe Solomon
- Himmanv- Eknath Solkar
- Coronis- Graham Yallop
- Howe_zat- ?
- Pothas- Trevor Bailey
- LongHopCassidy- Gary Gilmour
- kingkallis- Rodney Hogg
- Blakus- Colin McCool
- AndyZaltzHair- Nawab of Pataudi
- Watson- Bevan Congdon
- fredfertang
- bagapath

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I'll take Rodney Hogg as my 12th man. I totally loved his bowling action.

CricZo XI

1. Sir Geoffrey Boycott /
2. Arthur Morris /
3. Bob Cowper /
4. Ian Redpath /
5. Zaheer Abbas /
6. Dilip Vengsarkar /
7. Denis Lindsay ( + )
8. Richie Benaud ( c ) o /
9. Sir Richard Hadlee o /
10. Alan Davidson o /
11. Colin Croft o

12. Rodney Hogg o

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Guess I'll go with the brave Nawab of Pataudi, one of the most important figures in Indian Cricket History

MAK Pataudi's 75 in Melbourne in 1967
'An innings played with one leg and one eye'

Pataudi's 75 was, as one observer termed it, "an innings played with one leg and one eye" in a thin drizzle on a dark day. To add to the handicap of his vision, he had also suffered a pulled hamstring, but he played stirringly despite these problems, in difficult batting conditions. One school of thought has it that Pataudi's and his team's struggles were partly of his own making, for he himself chose to bat on a pitch that was so green that I could only distinguish it from the rest of the ground because the grass had been rolled. But he did not have much by way of pace bowling, and he must have been hoping that his spinners would come into their own in the fourth innings. As it happened, his batting line-up fell around him on the first day, but he found some support from Rusi Surti, and as the day went on he proceeded to play some thrilling leg-side strokes, including several hooks. I remember Lindsay Hassett coming up to me during the game and saying, "That's the way Bradman used to attack the bowling."

watson

Banned
Bevan Congdon: The first NZ captain to record a victory over Australia in a Test match, as well as having a name that sounds like a rubber johnny;

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch, Mar 8-13, 1974 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Still can't make mind my between Asif Iqbal and Bevan Congdon as both have similar stat's whether batting or bowling. Asif was the more talented batsman, but pretty much stopped bowling after he settled into the top-order. Congdon was very consistent throughout his career with both bat and ball.

01. Desmond Haynes
02. Roy Fredericks
03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Neil Harvey
05. Clive Lloyd
06. Bevan Congdon / Asif Iqbal
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Garth McKenzie
10. John Snow
11. Derek Underwood

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan Congdon: The first NZ captain to record a victory over Australia in a Test match, as well as having a name that sounds like a rubber johnny;

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch, Mar 8-13, 1974 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Still can't make mind my between Asif Iqbal and Bevan Congdon as both have similar stat's whether batting or bowling. Asif was the more talented batsman, but pretty much stopped bowling after he settled into the top-order. Congdon was very consistent throughout his career with both bat and ball.

01. Desmond Haynes
02. Roy Fredericks
03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Neil Harvey
05. Clive Lloyd
06. Bevan Congdon / Asif Iqbal
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Garth McKenzie
10. John Snow
11. Derek Underwood
Can't help but feel that you might have the best team of all Watto, except for maybe Fred's.