• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket draft 1945 -1977

Who will win the 2013 Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
I am still hoping that Howe will complete his team as there's still plenty of time to go because there are 12 Rounds.

Even if Howe re-enters during Round 12 he can still make-up an excellent team because his initial picks were so good. And there's a dozen or so world class batsman and bowlers still available that I can think of.

Come back Howe!

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The Vincibles

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Alvin Kallicharran
4. Martin Donnelly
5. Sir Frank Worrell*
6. John Reid
7. Wasim Bari+
8. Michael Holding
9. Max Walker
10. Subhash Gupta
11. Lance Gibbs

watson

Banned
Very nice side LHC. John Reid was supposedly pretty quick in his younger days so you have a nice balanced attack;

1 x Fast
2 x Fast Medium
1 x Off Spinner
1 x Leg Spinner
1 x Left Armer, 'Mixed Bag'

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I am still hoping that Howe will complete his team as there's still plenty of time to go because there are 12 Rounds.

Even if Howe re-enters during Round 12 he can still make-up an excellent team because his initial picks were so good. And there's a dozen or so world class batsman and bowlers still available that I can think of.

Come back Howe!
Indeed, it would be nice to scavenge his players, but would ruin the drafting process ultimately. So, now that we are nearing the close can some one please show me how to set up the upcoming poll asking everyone who they think has the best side? Cheers guys, it has been a great little exercise thus far, I only apologise for timing out on the odd occasion because this thing has been moving so quickly the past few rounds. Special thanks must go out to Watson who has been practically running the show.

kingkallis

International Coach
Bob Cowper, a batsman from 300 club to bat @ No.3 for CricZo

CricZo XI

1. Sir Geoffrey Boycott /
2. Arthur Morris /
3. Bob Cowper /
4. Ian Redpath /
5. Zaheer Abbas /
6. Dilip Vengsarkar /
7. Denis Lindsay ( + )
8. Richie Benaud ( c ) o /
9. Sir Richard Hadlee o /
10. Alan Davidson o /
11. Colin Croft o

kingkallis

International Coach
I did check some remaining all-rounders but their bowling was not 'that' effective and instead of going with them at No.6, I felt more comfortable with my current options.

Himannv

International Coach
I reckon Cowper is a good pick, I considered considered getting him into my team as well. Just felt Wessels was a better choice since I needed an opener more.

watson

Banned
I reckon Cowper is a good pick, I considered considered getting him into my team as well. Just felt Wessels was a better choice since I needed an opener more.
I reckon he was a good pick too because he gives the team a 'batting allrounder' in the top 6. Cowper's stat's of 36 wickets (27 Tests) at an Average of 31.63 imply that he was a pretty reasonable off-spinner. He also dismissed Graeme Pollock 4 times, plus Kanhai, Graveney and Goddard twice each. Not bad at all !

HowSTAT! Player Bowling Analysis

Cowper does hold one dubious record. In Australia he averaged a whopping 75.78 with the bat, but on foreign soil he averaged 33.33. This huge difference of 42.45 apparently remains a record.

However, a batting average of 33 is not that bad if you think about it. And if he hadn't retired early because of financial reasons a successful tour or two later in his career would have addressed that figure.

I think that KK has uncovered a relative unknown that deserves more recognition that he appears to currently get.

Last edited:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Saeed Ahmed to finish my team

1.Conrad Hunte
2.Eddie Barlow
3.Viv Richards
4.Allan Border
5.Dennis Amiss
6.Saeed Ahmed
7.Alan Knott
8.Joel Garner
9.Peter Heine
10.Sonny Ramadhine
11.Neil Adcock

kingkallis

International Coach
I reckon he was a good pick too because he gives the team a 'batting allrounder' in the top 6. Cowper's stat's of 36 wickets (27 Tests) at an Average of 31.63 imply that he was a pretty reasonable off-spinner. He also dismissed Graeme Pollock 4 times, plus Kanhai, Graveney and Goddard twice each. Not bad at all !

HowSTAT! Player Bowling Analysis

Cowper does hold one dubious record. In Australia he averaged a whopping 75.78 with the bat, but on foreign soil he averaged 33.33. This huge difference of 42.45 apparently remains a record.

However, a batting average of 33 is not that bad if you think about it. And if he hadn't retired early because of financial reasons a successful tour or two later in his career would have addressed that figure.

I think that KK has uncovered a relative unknown that deserves more recognition that he appears to currently get.
Its a shame we failed to give him a place in All-time ATG Game, despite having 19-20 teams there.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
And lastly Basil Butcher

Richie Benaud rated Butcher as the most difficult of all West Indians to get out and, in fact, Butcher's grim, resolute approach to the game is typically Guyanese -- and even more typically Berbician. He has been known to smile during an innings, but rarely before the four-hundredth run.
1. Bob Simpson
2. Jackie McGlew
3. Lindsay Hassett
4. Basil Butcher
5. Vijay Hazare
6. Mushtaq Mohammad
7. Kapil Dev
8. Mike Procter
9. Don Tallon+
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Andy Roberts

watson

Banned
Basil Butcher - never heard of him before but after reading his biography - wow. How come we haven't selected some of these excellent players before?

watson

Banned
I pick Asif Iqbal as the team's No.6 and to bowl some of his out-swingers as the 5th bowler;

Batting Average: 38.85
Bowling Average: 53 wickets at 28.33.

01. Desmond Haynes
02. Roy Fredericks
03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Neil Harvey
05. Clive Lloyd
06. Asif Iqbal
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Garth McKenzie
10. John Snow
11. Derek Underwood

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
..... and then there's was just fertang to go, perhaps appropriate that the oldest man in the field brings up the rear.

I need an opening batsman ('cos I don't fancy putting Engineer there). I reckon I've got a tremendous attack so my main fear is that the weather might thwart me, so I need a bit of ooomph at the top of the order, particularly as I have Goddard to drop anchor if necessary, so there are really only two possibilities for the job. I initially fancied Harold Gimblett, but fortunately managed to work out that despite his long post war career he's not quite eligible, so the job goes to one of my all-time personal favourites, Big Ollie :)

1.Trevor Goddard
2. Colin Milburn
3. Colin Bland
4.Tom Graveney
5.Collie Smith
6.Tony Greig
7.Farokh Engineer
8.Jim Laker
9. Alec Bedser
10. Fred Trueman
11. Fazal Mahmood

watson

Banned
Last chance to discover that hidden great. Not to mention Jimmy's first turn at going first;

ROUND 12
- jimmy101- Joe Solomon
- Himmanv- Eknath Solkar
- Coronis
- Howe_zat
- Pathos
- LongHopCassidy
- kingkallis
- Blakus
- AndyZaltzHair
- Watson
- fredfertang
- bagapath

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Since this is basically a 12th man selection, and an ideal 12th man would be a great fielder, I'm going for the man whose direct hit from the outfield manufactured the first ever tied Test match in 1960 - Joe Solomon. The excitement generated by he tied Test came just at the right time for cricket as most Tests were becoming dour affairs littered with draws.

jimmy's team:

Glenn Turner
Allan Rae
Javed Minadad
Graeme Pollock
Polly Umrigar
Basil D'Olivera
Lee Irvine (+)
Clive Rice (c)
Bob Willis (ob1)
Bishan Bedi
Terry Alderman (ob2)
12th Joe Solomon

Fairly strong top order, Willis and Alderman are a formidable opening combo, other options are in the form of Rice, Umrigar and D'Olivera, Irvine is a useful keeper/batsman, however the batting drops off a bit after Rice at No. 8. I was rather happy to get Bedi as I rate him as one the best left-arm spinners the game has seen.