• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket draft 1945 -1977

Who will win the 2013 Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
Cheers Jimmy. Normally the sequence of each alternate round is kept a secret until the last person has picked a player, and then the 'Randomly Generated Order' is revealed. But since we're all in the same boat with respect to knowing the order before-hand, I don't suppose it matters too much (??)

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Cheers Jimmy. Normally the sequence of each round is kept a secret until the last person has picked a player. But since we're all in the same boat with respect to knowing the order before-hand, I don't suppose it matters too much.
Sorry Watto, I've never participated in one of these drafts before, but you're right about us all being in the same boat so I think it should be fine.

So, without futher ado, Himmanv, you're 'on strike'. Feel free to make your first pick.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Will voting be based on the best Cricketers more so than best Test Cricketers?

Assuming there will be voting.. I'm asking because of the OP mentioning Rice is fine to pick.

Edit - well not OP, post 8

bagapath

International Captain
also, guys please mention the round whenever you cast your vote. helps when one logs in occasionally to check where the draft stands.

watson

Banned
Will voting be based on the best Cricketers more so than best Test Cricketers?

Assuming there will be voting.. I'm asking because of the OP mentioning Rice is fine to pick.

Edit - well not OP, post 8
The question in the Voting Thread is generally something like - 'Select the 3 strongest Test teams.'

So I'm assuming people will select teams that are most likely to beat other teams in a Test match series; and therefore make their own value judgement as to whether Clive Rice's lack of Test match experience means anything or not.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah but this isn't a regular draft thread its been thought up by a new member who probably has his own ideas so the question was really for wee Jimmy.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but this isn't a regular draft thread its been thought up by a new member who probably has his own ideas so the question was really for wee Jimmy.
Hey NUFAN, yes, I created this thread with the intent of it being just like the others, so I do intend for there to be a vote at the end. Having only just stumbled across this site, I didn't really know anything about how these things are conducted normally. I have only just learned that 'random number generators' are used to determine the selection order, hence my system of shuffling the player in first to the bottom of the list after each round. I figured that since there were 12 players and 12 rounds (XI + 12th man) this method would at least guarantee each player a chance to go first.
You are 100% right with the best cricketers over best Test cricketers merit, not only does this let Rice and the other South Africans into the fray, but also players could even select the Sri Lankan Mahadevan Sathasivam or even players from the Sri Lankan 1975 World Cup squad if they felt like it. Even some of the English county players of the time such as Don Shepherd are acceptable. I am a believer that these players deserve credit and as we all know, there have been worse players than these who have played a Test or two.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yep, 12 players seems like the right amount in my book. I guess the fairest thing would be to start the first round in order of who replied first, so that would mean the first round order would be this:

- Himmanv
- Monk
- Howe_zat
- Pathos
- LongHopCassidy
- kingkallis
- Blakus
- AndyZaltzHair
- watson
- fredfertang
- bagapath
- jimmy101 (myself)

So, feel free to take it away when you are ready Himmanv, let's get this game started!

Well, it's been over 12 hours, and I might not be back on line today. So I'm going to take Garry Sobers.

watson

Banned
Also, a few rules. Firstly, selected players must have made their DEBUT during this era, however, to allow some of the pre-WWII titans into the fold I will accept pre-WWII players who played 75% of their overall matches during this era. This means that players such as Len Hutton, Lindsay Hassett, Cyril Washbrook, Dudley Nourse and Denis Compton will be allowed whereas players such as Don Bradman, Wally Hammond and George Headley cannot be selected.

Secondly, players who never played in a Test Match but played First Class cricket are allowed to be selected. This means that South African players who were affected by the Apartheid boycott, such as Clive Rice and Garth Le Roux, are up for grabs.

Finally, the 17th of March, 1977, is the cut off date for players as that was when the Centenary Test ended.

Any questions?
Just to clarify a point: I assume DEBUT means First Class debut rather than Test Match debut because we are allowed to pick players who never played a Test Match like Clive Rice.

That is, is it OK to select players who made their FC debut prior to 17th March 1977?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to clarify a point: I assume DEBUT means First Class debut rather than Test Match debut because we are allowed to pick players who never played a Test Match like Clive Rice.

That is, is it OK to select players who made their FC debut prior to 17th March 1977?
Yes, that's right, players must have made their First Class debut before the cut off date. By the way, thanks for starting this game off guys since Himannv hasn't made his first selection yet. Let's keep it going :)

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Just another question on voting: will it be based on how the players performed within this timeline (1945- 1977) or on their overall career performance?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Just another question on voting: will it be based on how the players performed within this timeline (1945- 1977) or on their overall career performance?
Good question, I guess it would make more sense to base the vote on the players performance during this time ('45 - '77). This would mean that players such as Allan Border and Abdul Qadir who made their First Class debut during this time but not their Test debut would be worth alot less than usual.

Does anyone have any objections to this?