• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket draft 1945 -1977

Who will win the 2013 Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I may yet have him open the innings, a position from where he got both his Test centuries, but generally I think the time has come to pick the only man who makes me hesitate before declaring Alan Knott to be the best 'keeper I have ever seen
Wow. Big wrap. If pressed to name your top five keepers you've seen, who'd you go for Fred (have a keeper fetish...)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow. Big wrap. If pressed to name your top five keepers you've seen, who'd you go for Fred (have a keeper fetish...)
That's an interesting question - reaction after a couple of minutes thought is Knott, Engineer, Bob Taylor, James Foster and Wasim Bari

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That's an interesting question - reaction after a couple of minutes thought is Knott, Engineer, Bob Taylor, James Foster and Wasim Bari
In your opinion, what was distinctive about Engineer's keeping?

watson

Banned
ROUND 6
- kingkallis- Colin Croft
- Blakus- Eddie Barlow
- AndyZaltzHair - Vijay Hazare
- watson- Clive Lloyd
- fredfertang - Farookh Engineer
- bagapath - David Gower
- jimmy101- Clive Rice
- Himmanv- Johnny Wardle
- Coronis- Garth Le Roux
- Howe_zat- Sid Barnes
- Pathos- Ernie Toshack
- LongHopCassidy-Alvin Kallicharran

ROUND 7
- Blakus- Conrad Hunte
- AndyZaltzHair- Don Tallon
- watson - Garth McKenzie
- fredfertang- Trevor Goddard
- bagapath- Vinoo Mankad
- jimmy101- Glenn Turner
- Himmanv- Graham Gooch
- Coronis
- Howe_zat
- Pathos
- LongHopCassidy
- kingkallis

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The Vincibles

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Alvin Kallicharran
5. Sir Frank Worrell*
9. Michael Holding
11. Lance Gibbs

fredfertang

In your opinion, what was distinctive about Engineer's keeping?
He was the first 'keeper I ever saw live, as opposed to on the TV, so I suppose it was just that he seemed so bloody quick in everything he did - when "Flat" Jack Simmons used to get the ball past the bat it seemed like Engineer had the bails off and was screaming his appeal to the square leg umpire before the batsman even knew what was happening. It's not the same on television,as even with the relatively poor quality of pictures then you could still see what was going on, so Knotty was never quite so thrilling

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Conrad Hunte

1.Eddie Barlow
2.Conrad Hunte
3.Viv Richards
4.Allan Border
7.Alan Knott
8.Joel Garner
11.Neil Adcock

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Don Tallon

1. Bob Simpson
5. Vijay Hazare
7. Kapil Dev
8. Mike Procter
9. Don Tallon+
10. Hugh Tayfield
11. Andy Roberts

watson

Banned
Top notch keeper to back up a powerful attack Andy. Everyone of your picks is a wicket-taker.

Took over where Lindwall left off -Garth McKenzie

03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Neil Harvey
05. Clive Lloyd
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Garth McKenzie
10. John Snow
11. Derek Underwood

Last edited:

fredfertang

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong and he's already been taken, but if my search of the thread has been as thorough as I think it has I reckon I've got a bit lucky here

1.Trevor Goddard
6.Tony Greig
7.Farokh Engineer
8.Jim Laker
9. Alec Bedser
10. Fred Trueman
11. Fazal Mahmood

watson

Banned
I was surprised that Blakus didn't pick Goddard as he already had Barlow. So I believe you're a bit lucky Fred.

I liked the idea of Lindwall and McKenzie bowling in tandem as they represent consecutive decades of Australian fast bowling - so I picked Garth before someone else did. Unfortunately it meant that I missed out on the great South African, but you can't have everything.

Last edited:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
I was surprised that Blakus didn't pick Goddard as he already had Barlow. So I believe you're a bit lucky Fred.

I liked the idea of Lindwall and McKenzie bowling in tandem as they represent consecutive decades of Australian fast bowling - so I picked Garth before someone else did. Unfortunately it meant that I missed out on the great South African, but you can't have everything.
I did consider him. Eventually I decided that Barlow is more than good enough as a 5th bowling option and I wanted the best opener left.

watson

Banned
I did consider him. Eventually I decided that Barlow is more than good enough as a 5th bowling option and I wanted the best opener left.
Fair enough. Unless you really need the bowling (Goddard enables the inclusion of 2 spinners for example), Goddard's average in the early 30s is probably a bit low at the top of the order (?)

Last edited: