• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chuckers

adrianharvey

Cricket Spectator
Getting sick and tired of watching "chuckers" playing international cricket. It's spoiling the game for me. It all started (at least for me) with Muralitharan, but it seems many of todays spinners can't bowl with a straight arm, they can't all have the same excuse Murali used. Ajmal, Shillingford, Samuels, to name just a few, cannot bowl. They do not bowl, they throw. I had to vent somewhere, what do others think? Am I being unfair? It makes my blood boil (I know there are probably more important matters but still :p) when I see these people taking wickets and celebrating getting someone out with an action that is clearly wrong.

adrianharvey

Cricket Spectator
I think the majority of their "bowlers" are chuckers. Spinners for sure anyway. I think Ajmal's the worst of the current crop by a fair way, but the longer he gets away with it, the more will do it.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If bowler's arms had to be ramrod straight I suppose it would at least breathe new life into Ramnaresh Sarwan's international career

adrianharvey

Cricket Spectator
I searched for Chuckers and found nothing before I posted this. Sorry if it's been done before, couldn't find a thread to add to. I'll go back to fuming silently, figured a discussion forum was for, y'know, discussions.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I searched for Chuckers and found nothing before I posted this. Sorry if it's been done before, couldn't find a thread to add to. I'll go back to fuming silently, figured a discussion forum was for, y'know, discussions.
I wouldn't let it bother thee lad, we get plenty of discussions but all evidence tends to show that via the ruling them fellows are bowling legally.

MrPrez

International Debutant
It is, Adrian. Agent is just butthurt because his nation's strongest suit, its spin bowling, is based largely upon a heap of cheating "heroes."

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Sorry Adrian. Didn't mean to be such an arse (you can just ignore me - just angry at Pak collapsing as usual). Of course you should vent about Ajmal and co.

adrianharvey

Cricket Spectator
I wouldn't let it bother thee lad, we get plenty of discussions but all evidence tends to show that via the ruling them fellows are bowling legally.
Oh yeah I realise that the legal definition according to the laws is being (mostly) adhered to, but it just looks like the arm is obviously bent, and it's not a bowling action. The longer players are allowed to bowl with a bent arm the worse it becomes as younger players copy the actions that they see on tv - I know I did as a kid :)

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
This thread'll pick up once Brumby gets on you two will get along easily hes of the same mind.

BTW last spinner I remember having to remodel their action was Botha... Now where was he from :p

MrPrez

International Debutant
This thread'll pick up once Brumby gets on you two will get along easily hes of the same mind.

BTW last spinner I remember having to remodel their action was Botha... Now where was he from :p
Yeah but he got called out, and remodelled it. And besides, my point was that Pakistan's teams of old were based a fair bit on various chuckers. Botha was just a single chucker that played for us.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah I realise that the legal definition according to the laws is being (mostly) adhered to, but it just looks like the arm is obviously bent, and it's not a bowling action. The longer players are allowed to bowl with a bent arm the worse it becomes as younger players copy the actions that they see on tv - I know I did as a kid :)
Chucking isn't about the arm being bent, a chuck is if the arm straightens from a bent position. Stand up Charlie Griffiths.