Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Chuckers

Yas
    I love how people think there are actually sufficient gains to be made by a bowler "chucking". Yes it may not be the most elegant thing to see a bowler do but I think I can safely say if the ICC said you can bowl however you want and bowlers can chuck I don't think we'd see wickets tumbling left right and centre. Does chucking make you bowl faster? No. Does it make you swing/seam a ball more? No. Go try it and see what you can do by chucking!

I agree that you probably do straighten your arm more, hence increase the chances of "chucking" when bowling a doosra but surely the doosra has added much to the game and should be celebrated? It takes skill to bowl it and even more to land it with as much accuracy as Murali/Ajmal do.

People need to accept it and get on with their lives!!!!

Cricket Spectator
    It's just not cricket!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Yeah but he got called out, and remodelled it. And besides, my point was that Pakistan's teams of old were based a fair bit on various chuckers. Botha was just a single chucker that played for us.
    Funnily enough Botha's been utter pish since he's had to shelve his doosra. All his wickets should come with an asterisk next to them.

And you should know better than to cast the first stone.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas View Post
    I love how people think there are actually sufficient gains to be made by a bowler "chucking". Yes it may not be the most elegant thing to see a bowler do but I think I can safely say if the ICC said you can bowl however you want and bowlers can chuck I don't think we'd see wickets tumbling left right and centre. Does chucking make you bowl faster? No. Does it make you swing/seam a ball more? No. Go try it and see what you can do by chucking!

I agree that you probably do straighten your arm more, hence increase the chances of "chucking" when bowling a doosra but surely the doosra has added much to the game and should be celebrated? It takes skill to bowl it and even more to land it with as much accuracy as Murali/Ajmal do.

If I posted that the earth was flat it would be more accurate than the tripe you've just come up with.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

Yas
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    If I posted that the earth was flat it would be more accurate than the tripe you've just come up with.
    Whatever dude! The fact is people with dodgy actions have been in the game for many a year and people only kick up a fuss when they start taking wickets.
    Last edited by Yas; 21-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.

U19 12th Man
    kane williamson's action looks a bit jerky.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    If bowler's arms had to be ramrod straight I suppose it would at least breathe new life into Ramnaresh Sarwan's international career
    The only persona of a legal and graceful bowling action, I guess
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin View Post
    Stop it guyzz....ICC is not dumb enough to allow chuckers in cricket..they have all been cleared...
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas View Post

If you chuck it, it spins more. Pretty simple really.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Definitely. I'd advise anyone who disagrees to head down to the nets and give it a try and you'll see just how much more purchase you can get. Massive. A preponderance of chuckers won't see a huge rise in guys bowling 170+ or anything like that but it will see a lot more guys in the 90+ range. You'd think there'd be a corresponding rise in injuries too.

But anyway, there's nothing morally wrong with chucking per se, it's just that cricket has defined bowling as hurling a ball with a straight arm. So, in that context, if you want to play cricket, there are rules to abide by. Don't like it, play baseball.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Anyone who has ever faced chucked off breaks from a couch will know how tough they can be to play as well. Much more turn and bounce.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    But anyway, there's nothing morally wrong with chucking per se, it's just that cricket has defined bowling as hurling a ball with a straight arm.
    No it hasn't. The arm can be as bent as you like as long as it doesn't straighten during the action of delivering the ball.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I'd hazard everyone knew what I meant but cheers for clarifying.

International Captain
    Well, what you posted was totally wrong and makes no sense within the context of the thread.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information