• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chuckers

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I am yet to see a sri lankan kid trying yo bowl as murali. sri lankan kids are smarter than some CW posters here and they understand unless you have the freak mobility as murali you cannot replicate his action. and btw many of suspect actions in sl are fast bowlers. must have been looking too much in to on mcgrath and pollock I suppose.
Well there's certainly no fast men from their country they'd want to emulate.

cnerd123

likes this
India Cricket Features: How India weeds out its suspect actions | ESPN Cricinfo

Where the process is not entirely scientific is that the BCCI does not have facilities to wire up bowlers and determine by how many degrees they straighten their arms. There is a sidestep of the ICC process here, in that the committee believes the human eye is the best judge.
---
"We had all sorts of justifications going around - A bowls like this, C bowls like this, therefore I have this action," Srinath says. "That was wrong. So this committee of three decided that we are not going by international standards, by not taking any case examples. We said you have to go through the process. We are not calling them chuckers, we say your action requires rehabilitation, you need help. If he is really confident about it he can go to those centres, measure himself with those machines, we will definitely do the recommendation but where he goes, what he does, is up to him."
---
The BCCI way is not perfect, yet it is full of common sense. It agrees the bend is not being measured, but there is enough indication that the measure of 15 degrees is irrelevant. It is setting the bar higher
This is a very interesting take on dealing with dodgy actions.

One the one hand...you remove the whole mess that the ICC is having now with testing methodology (15 degrees, the right placement of sensors and choosing the right frames of footage to analyse, 2D vs. 3D, trying to develop real-time technology) and just settle on 'if it looks dodgy, it's not allowed'. This way you are guaranteed that every bowler who is cleared to bowl has an action that looks easy on the eye.

But on the other hand...that means no more Muralis (or Akhtars, Harbhajans, Mushtaqs...)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All spin bowlers in the world should be told to emulate Venkatapathy Raju's action, and all pacers Saurav Ganguly's. We'll get rid of chucking in that way, and bowlers in general.

BeeGee

International Captain
That's what happens when high profile international "bowlers" have illegal or suspect actions. The kids try to emulate them and the problem spreads from generation to generation.
I am yet to see a sri lankan kid trying yo bowl as murali. sri lankan kids are smarter than some CW posters here and they understand unless you have the freak mobility as murali you cannot replicate his action. and btw many of suspect actions in sl are fast bowlers. must have been looking too much in to on mcgrath and pollock I suppose.
I wasn't talking about Murali. My personal opinion of Murali is, even though his action isn't pretty, he is not a chucker. He jumped through all the hoops and passed two rounds of testing to prove it.

And I don't care if it's a spinner or a seamer. If their action is illegal they need to be dealt with so their "style" of bowling isn't perpetuated.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
India Cricket Features: How India weeds out its suspect actions | ESPN Cricinfo

Not a great scientific method by any means, but a practical one imo. This is the reason why we don't have any prominent chuckers from the big three.

Still more than a few dodgy ones in India though but it's less of a problem than in other countries I feel.
Look I agree that it's short term practical, but what the Perth testing centre was saying is that with a little more research they're not far away from implementing a modelling system whereby you can get video footage that can determine whether a bowler is chucking or not in-game.

If you let the scientists do their jobs they'll come up with far more creative and better solutions than what engineers will. The current testing methods employed by the ICC is not going to improve whatsoever because they're not really doing science, they're applying current technology.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look I agree that it's short term practical, but what the Perth testing centre was saying is that with a little more research they're not far away from implementing a modelling system whereby you can get video footage that can determine whether a bowler is chucking or not in-game.

If you let the scientists do their jobs they'll come up with far more creative and better solutions than what engineers will. The current testing methods employed by the ICC is not going to improve whatsoever because they're not really doing science, they're applying current technology.
I'm not against that at all, but we can't just sit back and wait while the relevant technology and feasible methods come around. In the meantime this is something practical that boards should be attempting to do.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
so how many chances do you get before you get banned from bowling permanently? Otherwise it's just a pointless process. Continuously coming back, chucking, being banned again etc etc