• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chuckers

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Stop it guyzz....ICC is not dumb enough to allow chuckers in cricket..they have all been cleared...

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Most of the Doosra's bowled are chucks these days from what I see. Its more clear cut if someones regular delivery has straightening.

adrianharvey

Cricket Spectator
Watching WI v Zimbabwe atm, there's another one, Utseya...chucker all day long /sigh

As for the ICC not being dumb enough to allow it - it's there right in front of their eyes in plenty of games, they just choose to turn a blind one.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I love how people think there are actually sufficient gains to be made by a bowler "chucking". Yes it may not be the most elegant thing to see a bowler do but I think I can safely say if the ICC said you can bowl however you want and bowlers can chuck I don't think we'd see wickets tumbling left right and centre. Does chucking make you bowl faster? No. Does it make you swing/seam a ball more? No. Go try it and see what you can do by chucking!

I agree that you probably do straighten your arm more, hence increase the chances of "chucking" when bowling a doosra but surely the doosra has added much to the game and should be celebrated? It takes skill to bowl it and even more to land it with as much accuracy as Murali/Ajmal do.

People need to accept it and get on with their lives!!!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah but he got called out, and remodelled it. And besides, my point was that Pakistan's teams of old were based a fair bit on various chuckers. Botha was just a single chucker that played for us.
Funnily enough Botha's been utter pish since he's had to shelve his doosra. All his wickets should come with an asterisk next to them.

And you should know better than to cast the first stone.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I love how people think there are actually sufficient gains to be made by a bowler "chucking". Yes it may not be the most elegant thing to see a bowler do but I think I can safely say if the ICC said you can bowl however you want and bowlers can chuck I don't think we'd see wickets tumbling left right and centre. Does chucking make you bowl faster? No. Does it make you swing/seam a ball more? No. Go try it and see what you can do by chucking!

I agree that you probably do straighten your arm more, hence increase the chances of "chucking" when bowling a doosra but surely the doosra has added much to the game and should be celebrated? It takes skill to bowl it and even more to land it with as much accuracy as Murali/Ajmal do.

If I posted that the earth was flat it would be more accurate than the tripe you've just come up with.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If I posted that the earth was flat it would be more accurate than the tripe you've just come up with.
Whatever dude! The fact is people with dodgy actions have been in the game for many a year and people only kick up a fuss when they start taking wickets.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

If you chuck it, it spins more. Pretty simple really.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely. I'd advise anyone who disagrees to head down to the nets and give it a try and you'll see just how much more purchase you can get. Massive. A preponderance of chuckers won't see a huge rise in guys bowling 170+ or anything like that but it will see a lot more guys in the 90+ range. You'd think there'd be a corresponding rise in injuries too.

But anyway, there's nothing morally wrong with chucking per se, it's just that cricket has defined bowling as hurling a ball with a straight arm. So, in that context, if you want to play cricket, there are rules to abide by. Don't like it, play baseball.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anyone who has ever faced chucked off breaks from a couch will know how tough they can be to play as well. Much more turn and bounce.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
But anyway, there's nothing morally wrong with chucking per se, it's just that cricket has defined bowling as hurling a ball with a straight arm.
No it hasn't. The arm can be as bent as you like as long as it doesn't straighten during the action of delivering the ball.