• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chuckers

uvelocity

International Coach
They found that McGrath and Pollock also extend their elbows as much as Murali. It was to stop umpires calling McGrath and Pollock as well. When all bowlers extend their elbows to various degrees, the previous rule became a just bloody joke that no one cared about.
for ****s sake how many times do you have to post this blatant lie. lie. lie. lie. lie. lie.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Why do you think Ajmal tends to always wear long sleeves during matches?

That's your argument?? Graham Swann likes to wear his collar turned up and sun glasses...........WTF is he hiding???

Let me ask you this mate. Why is this such a contentious thing for you??

As an England fan I sat there and watched Ajmal rip us apart and bring our arses firmly back to earth. Plenty of chatter going on then about his action and I just don't get why people couldn't just focus on the majesty of his work instead of crapping on about his action and assuming because it looks odd and he is good it must be chucking.

uvelocity

International Coach
That's your argument?? Graham Swann likes to wear his collar turned up and sun glasses...........WTF is he hiding???

Let me ask you this mate. Why is this such a contentious thing for you??

As an England fan I sat there and watched Ajmal rip us apart and bring our arses firmly back to earth. Plenty of chatter going on then about his action and I just don't get why people couldn't just focus on the majesty of his work instead of crapping on about his action and assuming because it looks odd and he is good it must be chucking.
as much as possible thank goodness. wish he'd wear a mouthguard too

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Is this supposed to relevant at all? Speed would be relevant for a quick or Marlon Samuels. Application of scientific method for these tests is appalling, and certainly not statistically significant. This is what makes me see it as more of an appeasement to fans rather than genuine results.
Wait? What else would they need to test for?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Simple. Because better bats, smaller grounds, switch hits, etc are not illegal according to cricketing law. Chucking is cheating, having a better bat isn't.
Agreed,and I had mentioned in my posts that chucking shouldn't be allowed, but on the other, each and every thing that can benefit a batsmen is allowed, which doesn't make it fair tbh. There should be a balance. I hardly see people making noise when things are ruled in the favour of the batsmen.

And I see some weird stuff here, Ajmal's actions is a bit debatable, but some of the other bowlers are criticized only because some people are jealous..

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They don't let the batsmen use wider bats, and they disallowed those carbon-covered backings or whatever they were. The issue with chucking is that you have to draw the line somewhere and there will always be doubt from legions of fans when they see a bowler they think is "dodgy", especially when the testing process is so limited.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmmmmm, you might be drawing a long bow with the term "legions" mate........you seem to be a lone voice in here at the moment.
Yeah 7 blokes is pretty representative of the world population of cricket fans.

You've got me there.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
just championing the facts. you know you're posting bull****. again.
I am slightly new to this debate. Was quite happy to take ICC's word for the whole thing. What is bull about the claim that McGrath et al extended their elbows/straightened their arms above 12 degree mark?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But still McGrath extends the elbow 12 degrees and hence a chucker under the old law.
He wasn't a chucker under the old law because he was never called - the real problem here is the use of the words "chuck" and "throw" because they are so emotive - fielders and baseball pitchers chuck, not bowlers, but some bowlers have an illegal action, and if they do they get no-balled which is exactly the same sanction they suffer if they over step - the rule now is that a legal action can involve up to 15 degrees of flexion so there is nothing illegal about McGrath in the same way that there is nothing illegal about bowlers bowling the doosra, up to that limit - that's the law and I'm quite happy with that being the law - but it doesn't alter the fact that anyone bowling the doosra appears dodgy to the naked eye (well it does to mine anyway) - its the nature of the beast - but as we all know looks aren't everything, and most of them are still bowling within the law

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Looks aren't just not everything. They're nothing in comparison with degrees of straightening. Degrees of straightening is everything.

There are plenty of umpires who would and could recognise the difference between Mcgrath's 8 degree straightening and Mcgrath's 12 degree straightening on a subjective level, but that simply doesn't matter. We've moved on from the days of adjudicating run outs by how good the umpire's eye is.. More importantly, there are probably 100% video analysts who could recognise the difference between 14 degrees and 16 degrees. One is chucking, the other isn't.

It's as simple as that.

The rules have been set for that point.

Play within them.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if Uvo is just trying to wind Migara up, but it's about time people realised that Murali's arm was bent more because he couldn't straighten beyond 36 degrees (due to a condition he was born with), hence he had up to 51 degrees to bend before delivery, meaning his arm appeared more bent and dodgy, but the fact is he was within the rules.