• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your own "I was there" moments

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
First day of the ashes in 2005.

Flintoff's titanic spell on 5th morning at Lords in 2009.

Amla bringing up his 300 last summer.

They are probably the standout ones. Almost got to see Tendulkar make his 100th 100 at the Oval but got a hilarious India collapse instead.

Personal favourites though are 3 Hampshire wins in Lords finals, makes a nice contrast to the evil that is a play-off final.
Would probably have to take the cake for me as well.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
ive seen australia flogged a few times

tendulkar and VVS at sydney in 04

jayasuriya destroy us in an odi at sydney

cook and pieterson at adelaide 2010, ill never forget how easily pieterson destroyed doherty that day.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I don't have one. I have a "thank god I wasn't there moment".

I was offered a job selling beer in the DB Draught beer tent for NZ v Windies test in 94/95. But this was NZ's annus horribilis. I turned it down, despite being a poor student, as I didn't want to be anywhere near this match.

Avoided seeing NZs biggest defeat in their history by an innings and 322 runs. While I missed out on a Lara century, on the positive side I also missed out on Sherwin Campbell, Arthurton, and Jimmy ****ing Adams filling their boots.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry LT but you did ask - Elm Park Saturday 21 December 1985

Reading v Plymouth Argyle, as the old song goes

"We were three nil down...... and we won, and we won"
I was there as well, but for this thread it lacked a little something - like for instance leather on willow.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Once saw Kane Williamson hit 20 runs of 5 balls to save the game, i wont mention the opposition or ground cause that might undermine the achievement :ph34r:

Flametree

International 12th Man
Lara scoring 147 vs NZ at the Basin in 1995 ... somewhat less fun, Jimmy Adams scoring 151 in the same match. And Junior Murray 101*....
Walsh's 13 wickets in the same match. (God NZ were rubbish in the mid-90s....)

Every minute of NZ's two wins at Lords and the Oval in 1999. Less fun, every minute of the loss at Edgbaston earlier in the season.

Astle's 200 off 153 balls vs England at Lancaster Park. Never seen anything like it. There were moments when a four was an anti-climax...

adrianharvey

Cricket Spectator
For me it was Headingley 1977, Geoff Boycott's hundredth first class hundred - was even on telly in the crowd, I was 5 at the time, could never understand why my school friends didn't think it was as big a deal as I did :(

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am older than most of you and have watched a lot of cricket but really havent seen many great performances "live"

However, I was in attendance at:

a. the first ever odi;

b. the first ever day/night WSC match; and

c. the first ever day/night international.

Definite lowlights include Murali being called for throwing at both the MCG and Gabba and Johnson's bowling on Day 1 at Lords in 2009

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
John Dyson's catch, scg v West Indies 81-82

Warne's first test.

McGrath, Warne and Langer's last day.

Bevan's match vs WI.

Gough's hat trick.

Chappell, Lillee and Marsh's last test.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
I was at Centurion when Kallis made his first double-century and AB scored the fastest Test century by a South African. Even though the bowling was pretty bad, it was pretty great to watch AB smash the ball into a small group of Indian fans again and again.

Stapel

International Regular
The Dutch beating England at Lord's at the WCT20 in 2009. Though I prefer Tests over any other sort of cricket, it's hard to see this monumental Dutch cricket milestone being surpassed at any time soon, with or without me attending.

At the same WC, I watched Chris Gayle smash Brett Lee for 27 (or so) in one over. Two balls simply left the Oval.

I was there when Chanders made his 8000th test run, 2008 Barbados. Nothing much spectacular, but the best I've seen so far in tests, I guess.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pathan's first over hatrick then fight back led by Kakmal off all people and finishing off the day with Akhtar-Asif hostile new ball spell to India's fab 4.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pathan's first over hatrick then fight back led by Kakmal off all people and finishing off the day with Akhtar-Asif hostile new ball spell to India's fab 4.
That would have been a sweet day. I remember vividly following that on cricinfo thinking wtf when Irfan took that hatty.