• Other

2 2.22%
Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    so you are copy pasting posts across threads harsh
    In all fairness, I didn't copy paste the other two posts from that thread
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    My bad. People like Ikki post such crap that it's sometimes difficult to decipher such posts. (Yeah that makes a lot of sense!)

A reminder : it is cricinfo that is running the feature on "Best AFTER Bradman". They can't do anything more to endorse Bradman as the greatest batsman. So you should have no reason to criticize sites like cricinfo.
    You don't get it. I am not saying sites like Cricinfo are actively calling Tendulkar better than Bradman. I am saying the disproportionate attention someone like Tendulkar gets often gets translated (by many of his adoring fans) as a legitimate concentration on his talent. That kind of constant barrage about how great he is - when in reality, there are many comparable players in his own career, let alone of all time - is only going to be used as legitimisation of opinions (like, that some actually think he is better than Bradman).

Tendulkar isn't setting records at a Gretzky-like pace (let alone a Bradman-like one) over his peers to deserve the aggregate attention of Lara and Ponting combined. It is simply because he is Indian. You may not like to hear that...but he gets eyeballs on news moreso than others because of his name, because he is Indian. Not because he is many times better than his peers.

Go reread the first I responded to...it was about the insinuation that many of Tendulkar's peers aren't close to him. It's taken for granted that he is either the best or second best batsman of all time. And my point is that this kind of thinking is just propagated because sites like Cricinfo give Tendulkar an exaggerated amount of attention.
    Last edited by Ikki; 19-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    ★★★★★

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    I am cringing at the thought of how many articles cricinfo will have when Tendulkar announces his retirement from tests.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

U19 Debutant
    It's also business decision that drives the online sites,newspapers,television to give as they say more "air time" for SRT than say other "great" players as Tendulkar's anme drives the revenues up of these medium..a small minority may not like the attention he gets or some even cringe but it has been proven that vast majority likes it ..With competition of so many online sites and every tom,dick and "doesitmatter" having an opinion these sites do what they can to feed the many staff they employ ..Other greats might generate nostalgia and admiration here and there but the bottom line it's also "Per qualche dollaro in pił"(a few dollars more) that has SRT getting splashed across pages..It happened during Don's time even though there were other equally great players...More and more of Tendlya please ..that's me the fanboy..
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 20-04-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
    It happened during Don's time even though there were other equally great players...
    No, there weren't.

But all this talk about Tendulkar getting too much attention is such a trivial matter... don't like reading articles about him everyday? Don't read them. I've been critical of Tendulkar plenty of times especially in the last year or two, but why it annoys people is beyond me. Let people talk about him, how does it even matter ?

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    No, there weren't.
    Maybe not..but from the business perspective his name sold papers then as SRT's does now and that's the point i was trying to make..

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Dude, you make a good post and then ruin it all at the end by suggesting there were equally great players as The Don during his career..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Dude, you make a good post and then ruin it all at the end by suggesting there were equally great players as The Don during his career..
    Greatness is not just defined by average,runs scored, consistency, longevity alone that's what everyone has been saying...btw Bradman is No.1 in my book as well..
    Last edited by doesitmatter; 21-04-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I am sorry.. I would love to listen to you but the fact that you even think there were cricketers who were AS GREAT as The Don during his time means I am just wasting my time here Btw, I thought to be a great cricketer, well, you had to be a great cricketer..

U19 Debutant
    I am sorry i made you waste your time here...What i should have done is remove equally from the line "It happened during Don's time even though there were other equally great players".....Will you still not listen to me? oops i forgot

Boycott names Hobbs the best after Bradman

The Jury's Out: Who's the next-best batsman after Bradman? | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

By my count that is 3 votes for Sobers, 2 for Tendulkar and 1 for Hobbs.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Spectator
    Bad pick from Geoff that is. Normally he's better then that.
    Dream Team since 1970-2012 1.Smith 2.Hayden 3.Ponting (C) 4.Lara 5.Richards 6.Kallis 7.Gilchrist(WK) 8.Warne 9.Ambrose 10.Lillee 11.McGrath 12th man Tendulkar

Dream Team 1870-1970 1.Hobbs 2.Hutton 3.Bradman (C) 4.Hammond 5.Miller 6.Sobers 7.Oldield(WK)8.Lindwall 9.Trueman 10.Barnes 11.O'Reilly 12th man Weekes

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    Bad pick from Geoff that is. Normally he's better then that.
    Why do you think it's a bad pick?

State Vice-Captain
    Personally, Hobbs is 3rd for me, behind Sobers.

English opener names English opener as next best, what a surprise :P Hobbs was almost unquestionably the best before Bradman, and is still easily one of the ATG's.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Personally, Hobbs is 3rd for me, behind Sobers.

English opener names English opener as next best, what a surprise :P Hobbs was almost unquestionably the best before Bradman, and is still easily one of the ATG's.
    Nice.

As an aside, I want to ask something else. When I see statements like "Hobbs best before Bradman", and I too have said that many a time, is everybody, like me, not including Grace in the discussion at all as that would be too complex? Just like Lohmann in terms of bowling.

I mean, in all batting conversations we have about the past, we are all consciously ignoring Grace, right? Or do most people do not rate him highly at all?

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread Information