• W.G. Grace

4 4.44%
  • Other

2 2.22%
Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

Tournaments Won: 1
    Kallis obv.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Sachin Tendulkar just isn't #2. Sorry. I understand most don't agree with my manlove for Kallis, but I'd definitely also have Sobers above SRT. The all-round package makes him a greater player overall.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I understand most don't agree with my manlove for Kallis, but I'd definitely also have Sobers above SRT. The all-round package makes him a greater player overall.
    true but this is about 2nd best batsman ever, not 2nd best cricketer.

Actually Don may not even be the best crickter ever
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Oh, derp.

Kallis still wins, SRT next.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Oh, derp.

Kallis still wins, SRT next.
    there are so many batsman ahead of kallis, it's not even funny tbh.

Negative.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Those things aside, Greg Chappell is the best and greatest batsman of the 1970s, and even better than Viv Richards during that decade. Viv had to wait until the 1980s when Greg was a couple years off retirement before he could be counted as the world's best batsman.
    Ahem, ahem.. Barry Richards.. ahem.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    I voted Hobbs. Of all batsmen to have played 10 tests or more before WW1, only about four (Jackson, Bardsley, Ranjit and Faulkner) averaged over 40, with Jackson the only one of those averaging above 45. Hobbs scored 2500+ runs at 57 pre-WW1. He stands out almost as much as Bradman for being so far ahead of his contemporaries.
    +1. Once I realized that I fully appreciated how good Hobbs was.

Yes, and the Underarm incident doesn't help either. He also made a record 6 ducks in a row in the early 80s when the West Indies were touring.

Those things aside, Greg Chappell is the best and greatest batsman of the 1970s, and even better than Viv Richards during that decade. Viv had to wait until the 1980s when Greg was a couple years off retirement before he could be counted as the world's best batsman.
    Most contemporary players seem to rate Viv > Gavaskar > Chappell. Interested in knowing why.

International Captain
    Yes, and the Underarm incident doesn't help either. He also made a record 6 ducks in a row in the early 80s when the West Indies were touring.

Viv was outstandingly the best batsman in the world from the mid to late 70's to early 80's. If anything he was on the slide by the time Chappell retired and his performances were modest by any standards never mind his own from around 84 onwards.

During his prime years Viv is still the best batsman I ever expect to see. I find the idea of Chappell being the second greatest batsman of all time rather fanciful. Of those I've seen I would consider Tendulkar, Sobers, Barry Richards or Lara almost along side Viv.
    Of course the statsguru (yawn) will show that Viv's level of performance was not maintained for as long as some others, but I prefer to judge a player from his peak years as long as it's more than just a couple of years.
    In other sports I consider Muhammad Ali to be the best boxer I've ever seen and that isn't diminished by the shambling wreck of a man who fought Larry Holmes. By the same token I consider a peak Maradona to be the best footballer I've ever seen (as much as I despise the little twerp) and that isn't diminished by the drugged up portly gentleman he was at the end of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Viv was outstandingly the best batsman in the world from the mid to late 70's to early 80's. If anything he was on the slide by the time Chappell retired and his performances were modest by any standards never mind his own from around 84 onwards.

During his prime years Viv is still the best batsman I ever expect to see. I find the idea of Chappell being the second greatest batsman of all time rather fanciful. Of those I've seen I would consider Tendulkar, Sobers, Barry Richards or Lara almost along side Viv.

Of course the statsguru (yawn) will show that Viv's level of performance was not maintained for as long as some others, but I prefer to judge a player from his peak years as long as it's more than just a couple of years.
    It's not that simple, I think. Even at his best, Viv was not a great player of spin, good, better than many, but not great. And if this was a thread about the best batsman against fast bowling, I would vote Viv too. But it's not. And for that reason, I rate Barry Richards as a better batsman than Viv. And as I wrote before, I have Hobbs, Sobers, Barry and Tendulkar in the second tier after Bradman (in no particular order), and Viv, Hammond, Headley, Pollock, Chappell and Lara in the third tier. I agree it was awe-striking to watch Viv cart the pacers around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Most contemporary players seem to rate Viv > Gavaskar > Chappell. Interested in knowing why.
    Actually I belive that most rate it Richards > Chapell > Gavaskar

Regarding Sachin, between him and Lara I consider Lara the better batsman, especially when considering both at their absolute best, and his ability to turn a game, I readily admit that Sachin has had the better career and there is distence between them in that regard, but the genius of BCL edges SRT in terms of pure batting ability for me.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post

Regarding Sachin, between him and Lara I consider Lara the better batsman, especially when considering both at their absolute best, and his ability to turn a game, I readily admit that Sachin has had the better career and there is distence between them in that regard, but the genius of BCL edges SRT in terms of pure batting ability for me.
    :
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    It's not that simple, I think. Even at his best, Viv was not a great player of spin, good, better than many, but not great. And if this was a thread about the best batsman against fast bowling, I would vote Viv too. But it's not. And for that reason, I rate Barry Richards as a better batsman than Viv. And as I wrote before, I have Hobbs, Sobers, Barry and Tendulkar in the second tier after Bradman (in no particular order), and Viv, Hammond, Headley, Pollock, Chappell and Lara in the third tier. I agree it was awe-striking to watch Viv cart the pacers around, though.
    Viv was a great player of spin, not as good as Lara or Tendulkar, but certainly great, he scored runs in India, took Underwood apart, after his decline in form, yes he did have difficulties, but that was across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post

I am sure thats exactly what most others believe too.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information