• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best After The Don

Best After the Don

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
You mentioned '3 shooters in a row' archie mac. I assumed them to be caused by ridges/cracks on the pitch because when a ball hits a ridge/crack it either 'shoots' along the ground, or flies at the batsman's head - as in that 1998 Sabina Park Test match.

I'm not an expert on wickets from the 1880s, but I've always imagined them to be non-flat, or at least below the standard of modern wickets (I am happy to be corrected in this assumption), and therefore unsuitable for genuine fast bowling no matter the weather conditions.

Anyway, despite saying all that, there's no way of proving one way or the other whether WG would go OK against ATG fast bowling on modern wickets without considerable practice. So really, we are having a fruitless discussion. Although, it is still an interesting conjecture just the same!

archie mac

International Coach
You mentioned '3 shooters in a row' archie mac. I assumed them to be caused by ridges/cracks on the pitch because when a ball hits a ridge/crack it either 'shoots' along the ground, or flies at the batsman's head - as in that 1998 Sabina Park Test match.

I'm not an expert on wickets from the 1880s, but I've always imagined them to be non-flat, or at least below the standard of modern wickets (I am happy to be corrected in this assumption), and therefore unsuitable for genuine fast bowling no matter the weather conditions.

Anyway, despite saying all that, there's no way of proving one way or the other whether WG would go OK against ATG fast bowling on modern wickets without considerable practice. So really, we are having a fruitless discussion. Although, it is still an interesting conjecture just the same!
Not sure about the pitch with the three shooters but your theory is sound imo. Yeah still interesting although pointless, although perhaps they have invented time travel 100 years from now and they have taken Sachin to face the great bowlers of 2113 and are saying he is no chance against them:D