Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Best After the Don

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jack Hobbs

    7 7.78%
  • Wally Hammond

    1 1.11%
  • George Headley

    1 1.11%
  • Len Hutton

    2 2.22%
  • Garry Sobers

    13 14.44%
  • Sunil Gavaskar

    1 1.11%
  • Graeme Pollock

    2 2.22%
  • Greg Chappell

    1 1.11%
  • Barry Richards

    1 1.11%
  • Viv Richards

    16 17.78%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

    20 22.22%
  • Brian Lara

    6 6.67%
  • Ricky Ponting

    5 5.56%
  • Jacques Kallis

    8 8.89%
  • W.G. Grace

    4 4.44%
  • Other

    2 2.22%
Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 615 of 771

Thread: Best After The Don

  1. #601
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Statistically it has to be Lara, (along with Sachin) played againts the strongest quality attacks, dominating the two greatest spinners ever and the second greatest ever attack and at home and away. He has the greatest match winning innings. Like Bradman he was capable of massive scores and never played for average. Production wise he is second only to Bradman, where Bradman scored (averaged) 134 runs per match, Lara scored 91.
    I love him, but I can't quite agree with the bolded part. Totally agreed with everything else

    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Mcgrath hit him on the helmet
    Yeah, and he smashed him for four immediately after
    Brian Lara 153* vs Australia 1999 Barbados - YouTube


  2. #602
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with this, but it seems you're selling Dravid a little short here... I don't think it's ridiculous to say he's a better batsman than Barrington... maybe Barrington was better, i don't know, but the gap between them can't be so big as to negate any comparison. A class below Hutton and Sutcliffe maybe, which is why he doesn't feature in the poll, but Dravid is at the high end of the tier below them in my opinion.
    Not intending to sell him short, I meant scored more runs than them, although tbh Barrington would take a while to get there in terms of time taken and Sutcliffe was no hare XD.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

  3. #603
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Derby England
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Goddammit, CW is making an Indian argue against an Englishman that Hutton and Barrington were better defensively than Dravid. This is not right. Some Englishman take this fight off my hand.
    Dravid got to 9000 test runs quicker then lara ponting and kallis. and hes not included in the poll.its wrong.hes the 2nd best indian batsman aswell. just pips sunny.i could post plenty of evidence from youtube to back up the fact that dravids the best defensive batsman. you cant do the same with hutton and barrington can you? have you watched them played before? doubt it. so how can you argue against dravid? oh and i am english born and bred you numpty.

  4. #604
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,453
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    Dravid got to 9000 test runs quicker then lara ponting and kallis. and hes not included in the poll.its wrong.hes the 2nd best indian batsman aswell. just pips sunny.i could post plenty of evidence from youtube to back up the fact that dravids the best defensive batsman. you cant do the same with hutton and barrington can you? have you watched them played before? doubt it. so how can you argue against dravid? oh and i am english born and bred you numpty.
    By using contemporary evidence, that's like saying "How do we know England won the battle of Azincourt you wern't there!"


  5. #605
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Derby England
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    By using contemporary evidence, that's like saying "How do we know England won the battle of Azincourt you wern't there!"
    no its not like saying that ayt all. but your saying sutcliff hutton and barrington have better defensive techniques then dravid. how do you know that? theres no evidence to show they have. where as dravid theres plenty.

  6. #606
    State Vice-Captain akilana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Quebec
    Posts
    1,078
    Lara did well against Mcgrath and co but two other great attacks - Donald and Pakistanis WWs - of his time kept him quiet. In Australia, he blew hot and cold. He wasn't very successful against India either.

    I keep hearing that he won many matches from improbable positions but can't remember many other than the 153. Just curious.

  7. #607
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    no its not like saying that ayt all. but your saying sutcliff hutton and barrington have better defensive techniques then dravid. how do you know that? theres no evidence to show they have. where as dravid theres plenty.
    I hate myself for having to point this out, but Dravid averaged below 40 against the two best attacks of his time: SA and Australia. Played some absolutely epic innings against them , but overall, his record against them isn't all that great. Sutcliffe, Hutton and Barrington have impeccable records against the best opponents

  8. #608
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    I keep hearing that he won many matches from improbable positions but can't remember many other than the 153. Just curious.
    Well, there was his 213 in the same series which was just as good a knock, to be honest, but yeah... this is definitely a misconception that Lara's fans like to propagate. Lack of support meant his hundreds usually wound up as losing efforts.

    His innings definitely rescued his side from the depths plenty of times but in terms of the number of single-handed match-winning efforts go, Laxman definitely ahead of him. Obviously doesn't make him a better batsman than him, but there you go

  9. #609
    International Regular harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    oh and i am english born and bred you numpty.
    Now we know you are a troll, so it's fine. But I really want to know what a numpty is. Sounds irish.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

  10. #610
    State Vice-Captain Coronis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Statistically it has to be Lara, (along with Sachin) played againts the strongest quality attacks, dominating the two greatest spinners ever and the second greatest ever attack and at home and away. He has the greatest match winning innings. Like Bradman he was capable of massive scores and never played for average. Production wise he is second only to Bradman, where Bradman scored (averaged) 134 runs per match, Lara scored 91.

    The reason he is not my number 2 is because I am not conviced of his batting againts fast short pitched bowling, Mcgrath hit him on the helmet, not sure how he would have feared againt Lillee and Thompson in '75. He was a creative genius and the best batsman of his generation. Brilliant under rated slipper as well, on par with Hooper and just below Richardson in that regard.
    Sorry, but this just made my day

  11. #611
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    Lara did well against Mcgrath and co but two other great attacks - Donald and Pakistanis WWs - of his time kept him quiet. In Australia, he blew hot and cold. He wasn't very successful against India either.

    I keep hearing that he won many matches from improbable positions but can't remember many other than the 153. Just curious.
    So who to you is number two over all?
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  12. #612
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Sorry, but this just made my day
    Statistically wasn't the best word to use, of course career wise and sheer weight of numbers it would be Sachin.

  13. #613
    The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffboycott View Post
    no its not like saying that ayt all. but your saying sutcliff hutton and barrington have better defensive techniques then dravid. how do you know that? theres no evidence to show they have. where as dravid theres plenty.
    There's a fair bit of footage of both Barrington and Hutton mate.

  14. #614
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,269
    I rate Hutton so highly that I can't even place Dravid in the same tier as him. I would say that Hutton is the only relatively slow batsman that I rate so highly, but I belive that he was just amazing.

  15. #615
    International 12th Man Slifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Statistically it has to be Lara, (along with Sachin) played againts the strongest quality attacks, dominating the two greatest spinners ever and the second greatest ever attack and at home and away. He has the greatest match winning innings. Like Bradman he was capable of massive scores and never played for average. Production wise he is second only to Bradman, where Bradman scored (averaged) 134 runs per match, Lara scored 91.

    The reason he is not my number 2 is because I am not conviced of his batting againts fast short pitched bowling, Mcgrath hit him on the helmet, not sure how he would have feared againt Lillee and Thompson in '75. He was a creative genius and the best batsman of his generation. Brilliant under rated slipper as well, on par with Hooper and just below Richardson in that regard.
    Completely agree with the bolded part and this is further supported by the very few not outs that he accumulated over his career. So many of Lara's innings could have been not out innings and he could have played for his average (ala S Chanderpaul) but more often than not, he was concerned with entertaining (when there was nothing in the match), or protecting the tail and as a result had to hit out and get as many runs as possible!!!
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •