• W.G. Grace

4 4.44%
  • Other

2 2.22%
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Largely on the basis of his missing his best years and then achieving most of what he did after his wartime injury - would be fascinating to have seen the shoot out between him and Bradman in 40/41
    To be fair, Hobbs also missed out on cricket due to war, and also achieved most of what he did after the war.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    To be fair, Hobbs also missed out on cricket due to war, and also achieved most of what he did after the war.
    Hobbs was a fine player without a doubt, but I think he had life rather easier than Hutton. He was in his early 30s when the Great War robbed him of four seasons whereas Hutton was only 23 when he lost six. Also the latter part of Hobbs' career coincided with what was probably the most "batsman-friendly" era in English cricket, whereas with Hutton it was the opposite - and I have to say that I do think having one arm two inches shorter than it was before the war was one hell of a handicap for Sir Len, as was the pressure of being the first professional to captain England - easily overlooked now of course, but clearly of huge significance at the time

Cricket Spectator
    Viv Richards was a joy to watch, for me personally. He could destroy bowlers and do it consistently.

Tendulkar is not the run machine that Don was (or for that matter Lara or even Sehwag - 2 triple centuries). Still, my vote goes to Tendulkar. Simply because the Don himself said once that Tendulkar reminds him of himself.

Lara is the most dominant batsman I have seen and a pleasure to watch. He edges it over Sachin for me. Plus an an Aussie living in the US playing cricket with Indians gives me some bias against him. He is rammed down your throat by some Indian fans as the best ever. I'll not mention how speechless I was to play with a couple of younger Indians who didnt know who the Don was.

I saw Viv at the end of his career (post '88) so it was only in highlights that I could see what people saw in him from an ATG pov. Special mention to Barry Richards who I saw play in a charity game in Sydney when he was 60 odd and even then he looked a pure natural at the crease.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Viv Richards, for having the most commanding presence ever at the crease and annihilating the opposition like no other before or since
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Viv Richards, for having the most commanding presence ever at the crease and annihilating the opposition like no other before or since
    This, back then we didn't have the amount of cricket on tv as we do now so you only saw him against your own side but you loved and hated seeing him walk to the crease, loved it as you knew he was brilliant and could do something special but hated it as you knew he was going to make your own team look silly (lots did back then for my lot before you all jump in)

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    This, back then we didn't have the amount of cricket on tv as we do now so you only saw him against your own side but you loved and hated seeing him walk to the crease, loved it as you knew he was brilliant and could do something special but hated it as you knew he was going to make your own team look silly (lots did back then for my lot before you all jump in)
    Must be a great feeling though, to have been a fan of your cricket team when they were the whipping boys and then growing up and seeing them become #1 and sorta maintain their position among the top 3 for a while now.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    At least in those days we had David Gower

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    In these days you've got David Warner, not really got the same level of grace does he tbh.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    In these days you've got David Warner, not really got the same level of grace does he tbh.
    Will probably end up being a better batsman though.

Ok then.

My vote went to Greg Chappell. Faced heaps of great bowlers in tests and WSC and did outstandingly. Was equally great vs spin, pace home and away. The next after the Don for me
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    My vote went to Greg Chappell. Faced heaps of great bowlers in tests and WSC and did outstandingly. Was equally great vs spin, pace home and away. The next after the Don for me
    Do believe he is severely underrated as a batsman, possibly because of what he has been since retirement..

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Do believe he is severely underrated as a batsman, possibly because of what he has been since retirement..
    Yes, and the Underarm incident doesn't help either. He also made a record 6 ducks in a row in the early 80s when the West Indies were touring.

Those things aside, Greg Chappell is the best and greatest batsman of the 1970s, and even better than Viv Richards during that decade. Viv had to wait until the 1980s when Greg was a couple years off retirement before he could be counted as the world's best batsman.
    Last edited by watson; 20-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.

I voted Hobbs. Of all batsmen to have played 10 tests or more before WW1, only about four (Jackson, Bardsley, Ranjit and Faulkner) averaged over 40, with Jackson the only one of those averaging above 45. Hobbs scored 2500+ runs at 57 pre-WW1. He stands out almost as much as Bradman for being so far ahead of his contemporaries.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information