8 8.89%
  • W.G. Grace

4 4.44%
  • Other

2 2.22%
Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Tough one, not sure I agree SRT is the 2nd best tbh but certainly right up there in the top contenders. The main pros and cons imo below

Pros
    Uncovered pitches
    poorer bats
    protective gear
    longer boundaries

Cons
    better fast bowlers
    more varied pitches
    better fieldsman
    more video footage for tactics

I would think Bradman would average 74.94
    Finger spinners start out bowling wrist spinners.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    if it is really 200,000 yrs then it's even harder to just believe that he would've avg'd 100 in the last 40 yrs .

So basically Bradman came ONLY 30 or so yrs into that 200,000 year expected period..I believe it is more a reflection on the state of the game back then than Bradman being one who comes once every 200,000 yrs.

we prob won't get another Bradman till year 202,000 approx. Life on Earth may have ceased to exist by then, who knows...
    Then why no one else at that time did what Don did?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    Think this needs to be laminated and hung up somewhere for everyone to see because its something which 99.94-deniers choose to ignore, time and time again, even in this thread. Its just concrete proof that Bradman was miles ahead of any other batsman

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah.. look, if the only reason these arguments are starting to spring up so much, at least in India, is because of Sachin, well... Sachin is not even the inarguable best batsman of his generation and for some, not even the inarguable second best.. Bradman was just a freak and the people who fail to appreciate how good the guy was are just cheating themselves. But whatever gets people to sleep better, hey.. We have our fantasies and they have their idea that Bradman was not that good.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Yep.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Yep.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I've often discussed with mates the idea that if Bradman didn't exist and you were asked to invent the greatest batsman of all time, the player you'd create couldn't be as good as The Don because you'd be accused of taking the piss - "come on mate, averaging 100 when no one else in history can break 60? **** off!"

I think we're seeing that kind of thinking with some people now - if Bradman's average had been 69.94 then it would be taken and accepted more easily, because while it would indicate that he's probably the best ever it still keeps him within the realms of everyone else.

But 99.94? Nah, no one could possibly be that good, we have over 100 years of statistical evidence telling us that number just isn't possible. Charles Davis in his book The Best of the Best where he tracked the performance of cricketers and other sportsmen by their standard deviation from the mean, noted that statistically a player as dominant as Bradman could be expected to come along in Test cricket approximately once every 200,000 years. That's not an easy thing to digest or comprehend. Particularly if you don't want to.

I think the problem with Bradman's record is that for some people it is - quite literally - too good to be true.
    Said what I couldn't articulate

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    That's three now: Crowe, Nicholas, and Ian Chappell.

It's a shame that all we can see of his batting now is truncated footage.

To bring up what The_Sean says above: I remember reading, I believe, Cowdrey's auto MCC, where he recounts some of his encounters with Don Bradman. In one, IIRC, he talks of playing Golf with Bradman and becoming aware of his competitive drive to win, and that he seemed to possess the ability to focus and concentrate in a greater degree than anyone else he had come across. Make of that what you will. Maybe that was the secret, that and innumerable hours hitting a golf ball with a wicket.

Even though it was only t20 of which I am not a huge fan, to see Ponting batting with Sachin gave me goosebumps yesterday. Two of the truely ATGs even past their prime was a sight to see, for me at least.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Even though it was only t20 of which I am not a huge fan, to see Ponting batting with Sachin gave me goosebumps yesterday. Two of the truely ATGs even past their prime was a sight to see, for me at least.
    Yup, gave me chills to watch the two of them bat, even though Ponting struggled to get going. And then Murali came on to bowl, and my head almost exploded...
    All it needed was Warne bowling from the other end...

Ok, missed the Murali part, that would have been awesome to witness.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Ok, missed the Murali part, that would have been awesome to witness.
    Dude, how did you miss that. Sachin launched two boundaries, one a classic straight loft over Murali's head, and one lofted over mid-wicket. It was awesome. It was brilliant to watch them together. Only if Sachin hadn't stupidly gotten run-out...

Although at times, it felt surreal. I agree, if Warne had been there as well, I would have flipped out. Anyway, this was most definitely my 'will-not-say-a-bad-thing-about-IPL-2013' moment.

#Sachin and Ponting - The best limited overs opening combo ever
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I tend to think along these lines as well. Of course the game has evolved over time and the challenges faced by modern cricketers are different in a lot of ways to those faced by players 25 / 50 / 100 years ago.

And yet, for all that, Bradman's career overlapped with Hutton's for a decade, Hutton overlapped with Sobers, Sobers overlapped with Gavaskar, Gavaskar overlapped with Border for a decade, Border overlapped with Tendulkar and Tendulkar is still playing.

The game has evolved but but the sport hasn't changed, and all these players through history have overlapped and played against each other enough for us to see that the average levels of performance since WWI, both on the whole and for those at the very top, has remained pretty consistent from generation to generation.

Except for Bradman.
    Bradman retired from Tests the year before Brian Close debuted. Close was still playing test cricket when Gooch debuted and Gooch played against Tendulkar.

At the end of the day, it is just cricket. Things come and things go. People are good and they would be at anytime. People in the 90s thought those in the 50s were ****. Those in the 2000s didn't care fore the 60s and now we hear people doubting people like Lillee.

Two things are clear. Doubting the past is natural and it is also flawed.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Yep.

This.

AWTA.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Dude, how did you miss that. Sachin launched two boundaries, one a classic straight loft over Murali's head, and one lofted over mid-wicket. It was awesome. It was brilliant to watch them together. Only if Sachin hadn't stupidly gotten run-out...

Although at times, it felt surreal. I agree, if Warne had been there as well, I would have flipped out. Anyway, this was most definitely my 'will-not-say-a-bad-thing-about-IPL-2013' moment.

#Sachin and Ponting - The best limited overs opening combo ever
    I always had Lara/Sachin open for my dream ODI All Time XI.. I think it was Marc or TEC who got me into that idea with their posts... Such an awesome combo it would be..

Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread Information