• W.G. Grace

4 4.44%
  • Other

2 2.22%
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Hobbs, Sobers, Barry and Tendulkar in no particular order for mine. Viv, Pollock, Hammond, Lara and Headley a very, very close second (third if you have Don as first) tier.
    I'd definitely include Barry Richards and Graham Pollock had they played more tests.

I think Barry Richards is most probably the second greatest batsman of all time. But 4 tests isn't enough.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    I voted for Herbert doesntneedamiddlenamecoshesso****ingawesome Sutcliffe.
    I think that a Bradmanesque batsman should be the type of batsman that can win a game, rather than merely save it.

Sutcliffe by all accounts 'nudged' his runs, albeit a lot of them. On-the-other-hand Bradman himself, Hobbs. Sobers, Pollock, Richards, Lara throttled the attack, and scored to all points of the ground.

In other words, truly great batsman are aggressive, attacking, and have a wide range of shots by definition (IMO).

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I think that a Bradmanesque batsman should be the type of batsman that can win a game, rather than merely save it.

Sutcliffe by all accounts 'nudged' his runs, albeit a lot of them. On-the-other-hand Bradman himself, Hobbs. Sobers, Pollock, Richards, Lara throttled the attack, and scored to all points of the ground.

In other words, truly great batsman are aggressive, attacking, and have a wide range of shots by definition (IMO).
    If I'm being honest with myself, it'd have to be Sobers or Viv. Definitely very close with a few others. I just voted Sutcliffe (other) to be different

Viv was one of the most aggressive batsmen we've ever seen, but he did decline quite a bit towards the end of his career. It has to be Sobers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I'd definitely include Barry Richards and Graham Pollock had they played more tests.

I think Barry Richards is most probably the second greatest batsman of all time. But 4 tests isn't enough.
    We can very easily argue that Barry Richards is the second best batsman of all time. However, it would be impossible to state that he is the second greatest batsman of all time.

In others words, we can observe a batsman in action and conclude that his technique, skill, and ability is superb, and therefore one of the best in his trade. However, until he performs over a wide range of Test match conditions we can never say that he is great.

Sorry for being pedantic over the definition of best and greatest, but its always bugged me.
    Last edited by watson; 19-03-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Abul Hasan...Averaging 82+ with the bat batting at no 9 position.
    When asked what the IPL means for seasoned pros like him, Dravid smiled and neatly deflected the question: it is a different world altogether, he said. "The other day I walked the ramp as part of a promotional event. When I started my career, I never imagined this would be part of a cricketer's life!"

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    We can very easily argue that Barry Richards is the second best batsman of all time. However, it would be impossible to state that he is the second greatest batsman of all time.

In others words, we can observe a batsman in action and conclude that his technique, skill, and ability is superb, and therefore one of the best in his trade. However, until he performs over a wide range of Test match conditions we can never say that he is great.

Sorry for being pedantic over the definition of best and greatest, but its always bugged me.
    Interesting observations. The way he dealt with an attack led by Lillee in WSC (along with the testimonies of Ian Chappell and Bradman) is enough for me. Imperious opener. I'd have him in my ATG team most of the time...

B. Richards
    J. Hobbs
    D. Bradman
    S. Tendulkar
    V. Richards
    G. Sobers

Tikolo obvs
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Garfield Sobers' six sixes in an over, Glam. v Notts., Swansea, 1968 - YouTube

This man is my vote. Also I played against Malcolm Nash years later and you simply did not discuss "the over" with him. Yet the incident defined his life and that was how he was known in our league.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    "Then the other day Brendon McCullum said that Alastair Cook was the best since Bradman."

Aren't actual players meant to have good opinions?
    Have you seen Shane Warne's Ashes squad?
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I'd go with Tendi due to his great record and the amount he has played. Plus he has played against all the top bowling in the 90s and 00s. Can't say the same for others (Viv never got to compete against his own quicks, Ponting against Warne and McGrath, Lara against Ambrose, etc).

He also played on the most placid home tracks and the most of any of those listed againts minnows. It balances out.
    Also the 70's and 80's had other great bowlers other than the W.I attack and similarily for the 90's and the Australian duo and Ambrose.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Was split between Hobbs and Sobers but I went for Sobers but only just.

Hobbs scored runs everywhere and on all kinds of pitches for donkey's years so I'd in all honesty probably put them as equal.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I still believe that you can compare Bradman and Grace, but this is not the time to pick over that one again.

As to the best Watson makes a valid point - having seen him a few times in action, and rather more often on TV, I can't believe there has ever been a better batsman than Barry Richards

But ignoring Grace who is the second greatest? I'd go for Len Hutton just, from Garry Sobers

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    He also played on the most placid home tracks and the most of any of those listed againts minnows. It balances out.
    Also the 70's and 80's had other great bowlers other than the W.I attack and similarily for the 90's and the Australian duo and Ambrose.
    India's pitches are placid but this doesn't seem to effect Tendulkar when he comes to batting on faster wickets;

Ave in India: 53.37
    Ave in Aus: 53.20
    Ave in Eng: 54.31
    Ave in WI: 47.69
    Ave in NZ: 49.52

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information