2 2.22%
Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    any serious issues apart from these ^^^
    Lack of vowels and capitalisation.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Has Allan Knott ever named his All Time XI, would be very interested to see the batsman he names as the best as he has kept behind Sobers, Chappell, Richards, Pollock, Gavaskar and would have seen I am sure both Lara and Tendulkar.
    Every time I want a great innings from the 70's Knotty seems to be keeping and Snow, bowling. Snow, as Watson constantly points out deserves more respect than he gets and he did bowl to the best of the best.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Has Allan Knott ever named his All Time XI, would be very interested to see the batsman he names as the best as he has kept behind Sobers, Chappell, Richards, Pollock, Gavaskar and would have seen I am sure both Lara and Tendulkar.
    Every time I want a great innings from the 70's Knotty seems to be keeping and Snow, bowling. Snow, as Watson constantly points out deserves more respect than he gets and he did bowl to the best of the best.
    During the 1968/69 tour of the West Indies John Snow picked up 27 wickets at 18.67 runs a piece (SR = 36.7). Among his victims were;

Seymour Nurse x 4
    Rohan Kanhai x 3
    Gary Sobers x 2
    Clive Lloyd x 1
    Plus assorted openers and tail-enders.

If there has been better figures by a fast-bowler during a tour of the West Indies then I'd like to see them. Snow was all class when he wasn't be being shafted by the British establishment, and should have toured more. Why he was left out of the 1974/75 Ashes series beggars belief.

Anyway back to batsman.........
    Last edited by watson; 25-03-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    During the 1968/69 tour of the West Indies John Snow picked up 27 wickets at 18.67 runs a piece (SR = 36.7). Among his victims were;

Seymour Nurse x 4
    Rohan Kanhai x 3
    Gary Sobers x 2
    Clive Lloyd x 1
    Plus assorted openers and tail-enders.

If there has been better figures by a fast-bowler during a tour of the West Indies then I'd like to see them. Snow was all class when he wasn't be being shafted by the British establishment, and should have toured more. Why he was left out of the 1974/75 Ashes series beggars belief.

Anyway back to batsman.........
    Our selectors loved to actively shaft our talented fast bowlers, see Larwood, Trueman for examples.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    The best against top West Indian & Australian bowlers

Greg Chappell leads the table comfortably from Gooch. His raw average is 58.78 and is slightly reduced with adjustments to 56.69. Interestingly, during this period, Greg Chappell never travelled to West Indies. Gooch has been truly outstanding against West Indies. He averages 44.43 but scored many of these runs against very tough and fearsome West Indian attacks (a la 154 (out of 252) at Headingley). These adjustments have boosted his average to 50.32. These two being the only two to exceed 50. R A Smith is in third place. Gavaskar's high average of 56 is reduced considerably because a number of these innings were against below-par West Indian attacks. His average is 48.31. Mark Waugh averages 46.93 and is slightly ahead of Steve......

As expected, Indian batsmen dominate the table of performances against Australia. Tendulkar is on top with a base average of 56.00 and improves this slightly through the adjustments. Sehwag clocks in next with an average of over 55. Then comes Lara, who has scored the maximum runs of 2856 against Australians at 54.72. Laxman is in fourth position, again with an adjusted average over 53. Chanderpaul rounds off this table with an average exceeding 50. These five batsmen are the only ones to go past 50. The interesting thing is that the top four batsmen also average over 50 in the unadjusted measure. Richie Richardson averages 52 but loses out heavily on the adjustments.

Laxman has outperformed against Australia considerably. Note also how Izaz Ahmad has outperformed against Australia by 25%......

Blogs: The best against top West Indian & Australian bowlers | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
    Greg Chappell and Sachin Tendulkar are the stand-out performers against (perhaps) the strongest bowling attacks in history. Consequently, anyone who thinks that Greg Chappell doesn't belong in the top 10 list of ATG batsman really needs his head read.

I was pleasantly surprised by the successes of Robin Smith and VVS Laxman.
    Last edited by watson; 25-03-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Banned
    Greg Chappell and Sachin Tendulkar are the stand-out performers against (perhaps) the strongest bowling attacks in history. Consequently, anyone who thinks that Greg Chappell doesn't belong in the top 10 list of ATG batsman really needs his head read.

bradman
    sachin
    sobers
    hobbs
    viv
    gavaskar
    lara
    hammond
    hutton
    headley
    pollock
    barry

thats a dozen

+ grace , ranji and trumper

so you can not make definite conclusions

even if u exclude pontings, dravids , waughs, borders , worrels...etc

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    bradman
    sachin
    sobers
    hobbs
    viv
    gavaskar
    lara
    hammond
    hutton
    headley
    pollock
    barry

thats a dozen

+ grace , ranji and trumper

so you can not make definite conclusions

even if u exclude pontings, dravids , waughs, borders , worrels...etc
    YOU're TOO funny LOL
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    While I don't agree, it's a fair point by SobersNo1.

Worth noting too that those Chappell-against-WI numbers don't even include arguably his greatest performance: the WSC series in the Caribbean in 1979 where he scored 621 runs - over 300 more than any other player from either team - against a full West Indian pace attack.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Chappell was better than Gavaskar for sure. But yeah, no way is he a fix in the top 10.

Bradman, Sobers, Hobbs, Lara, Sachin, Viv, Pollock, Headley, Hutton, Hammond.

Plus, even though we haven't spoken a lot about WG, but if he is included in the poll, he is the answer to the thread's question.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!

Tendulkar, not as much. His better performances against Australia have usually been when the best bowlers have been out.
    Last edited by Ikki; 26-03-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    ★★★★★

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Chappell was better than Gavaskar for sure. But yeah, no way is he a fix in the top 10.

Bradman, Sobers, Hobbs, Lara, Sachin, Viv, Pollock, Headley, Hutton, Hammond.

Plus, even though we haven't spoken a lot about WG, but if he is included in the poll, he is the answer to the thread's question.
    I personally can't place Hammond or Pollock over Chasppell, but some would differ.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Tendulkar, not as much. His better performances against Australia have usually been when the best bowlers have been out.
    That's true for virtually everyone though... Most batsmen usually do better when the strongest opposition bowlers are absent.

He's scored several great hundreds against McGrath and Gillespie, and dominated Warne completely. The thing is, apart from a couple of occaaions, I don't think he even had the chance to play much against a truly full strength Aussie attack (ie) McGrath, Warne, Gillespie, Lee so I partly do agree with you.

Banned
    grace
    ranji
    trumper
    hobbs
    bradman
    hutton
    sobers
    pollock
    barry
    gavaskar
    viv
    sachin
    lara

only these guys have been widely acknowledged as best in their eras.
    hammond and headley lost it to bradman phenomenon. otherwise they are in.

i have never seen / heard anyone rating chappel (or ponting / dravid / sutcliffe..) as the best.
    there should be some reason for that. thats y i rate chappell as the 16th greatest batsman ever behind the special 15.

Banned
    ATG s in weaker teams deserves extra marks.
    talents flourish fully only when the competition is tough

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread Information