• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best After The Don

Best After the Don

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah thats absolute bull when considering that he's barely leading here...

The fact is that he's in the top 5 batsmen ever in everyone's list (except for "obvious" people)
Hmm. It wasn't that long ago he wouldn't have made my top five, and I've certainly never had any sort of bias against him. These days I rate him the second best Test batsman of all time, but it depending on your criteria and what you value he could easily slip well out of the top five IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hmm. It wasn't that long ago he wouldn't have made my top five, and I've certainly never had any sort of bias against him. These days I rate him the second best Test batsman of all time, but it depending on your criteria and what you value he could easily slip well out of the top five IMO.
yeah.. people have got to give up on the idea that just because someone doesn't rate Sachin as high as they want them to, doesn't mean they do not rate Sachin at all. It is really the most irritating thing about discussing on Sachin and why it is almost a waste of time trying to come up with meaningful discussion on him.. I am not specifically talking about CW here, I mean even when we chat about cricket with mates some of us get the kitchen sink thrown at us because we think he is the SECOND best batsman of his generation.. Well, he is still second and still one of the greatest ever but God, just the idea that anybody but Bradman could be considered better than him really seems to push some people's buttons.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah.. people have got to give up on the idea that just because someone doesn't rate Sachin as high as they want them to, doesn't mean they do not rate Sachin at all. It is really the most irritating thing about discussing on Sachin and why it is almost a waste of time trying to come up with meaningful discussion on him.. I am not specifically talking about CW here, I mean even when we chat about cricket with mates some of us get the kitchen sink thrown at us because we think he is the SECOND best batsman of his generation.. Well, he is still second and still one of the greatest ever but God, just the idea that anybody but Bradman could be considered better than him really seems to push some people's buttons.
Seems that even when Ponting was at his zenith, some people were not ready to give up on the idea that Sachin was the better bat. I think the best way to argue with such people is to show them a collection of Lara's most prolific shot making, and then do this :pokey:, and then get ready for this :starwars:

sobers no:1

Banned
Seems that even when Ponting was at his zenith, some people were not ready to give up on the idea that Sachin was the better bat. I think the best way to argue with such people is to show them a collection of Lara's most prolific shot making, and then do this :pokey:, and then get ready for this :starwars:
i am trying

but its not working for bradman fans :huh:

Last edited:

harsh.ag

i am trying

but its not working for bradman fans :huh:
Dude, honestly, need to cut trolling. And to be perfectly honest, most people (in fact I am quite sure about 95%) on CW are not Bradman fans per se. We think that he was/is the greatest batsman of all time based on his record, the accounts given by his peers and followers during that period, and what we happen to have read about him otherwise. Very rarely would you find a Don fanboy here.

Kallis definitely. His record speaks for itself. He has played truly stunning innings from putting McGrath and Warne to the sword at Melbourne with a bad back to scoring twin tons against a rampaging Harbhajan on a square turner at Cape Town when he wasn't even fit to bat. His matchwining demolition of James Anderson in England that ultimately helped in usurping England from the top spot was just another feather in his cap. Only the true greats like Sobers and Tendulkar can boast of CVs as complete as Kallis'. I shudder to think how much higher Kallis' average would have been had he focused only on his batting. Closer to 60 would be a fair bet.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
:) :)

i too wanted him in top25
but its acceptable.. isnt it ?
I've never made a list of "best XX players" because I don't really like comparing a bowler to a batsman, etc. But I'd think Gilly would get points for the way he changed the game. World class keeper, and one of the most aggressive batsmen we have ever seen.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
no. y ?

kapil and botham played in more competitive era. ( the best 3 ARs (consider them as equals) after sobers and procter - they r clearly better )

( not just this one. take a look on my siggy:sleep: )
Because Miller was awesome and a much better AR than either Kapil or Botham ever was he also wasn't a **** **** like some...

Still for me Tendulkar might be pushing for a spot in my top 5 but I'm always a bit iffy judging people across such vastly different eras.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Has Allan Knott ever named his All Time XI, would be very interested to see the batsman he names as the best as he has kept behind Sobers, Chappell, Richards, Pollock, Gavaskar and would have seen I am sure both Lara and Tendulkar.
Every time I want a great innings from the 70's Knotty seems to be keeping and Snow, bowling. Snow, as Watson constantly points out deserves more respect than he gets and he did bowl to the best of the best.

watson

Banned
Has Allan Knott ever named his All Time XI, would be very interested to see the batsman he names as the best as he has kept behind Sobers, Chappell, Richards, Pollock, Gavaskar and would have seen I am sure both Lara and Tendulkar.
Every time I want a great innings from the 70's Knotty seems to be keeping and Snow, bowling. Snow, as Watson constantly points out deserves more respect than he gets and he did bowl to the best of the best.
During the 1968/69 tour of the West Indies John Snow picked up 27 wickets at 18.67 runs a piece (SR = 36.7). Among his victims were;

Seymour Nurse x 4
Rohan Kanhai x 3
Gary Sobers x 2
Clive Lloyd x 1
Plus assorted openers and tail-enders.

If there has been better figures by a fast-bowler during a tour of the West Indies then I'd like to see them. Snow was all class when he wasn't be being shafted by the British establishment, and should have toured more. Why he was left out of the 1974/75 Ashes series beggars belief.

Anyway back to batsman.........

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
During the 1968/69 tour of the West Indies John Snow picked up 27 wickets at 18.67 runs a piece (SR = 36.7). Among his victims were;

Seymour Nurse x 4
Rohan Kanhai x 3
Gary Sobers x 2
Clive Lloyd x 1
Plus assorted openers and tail-enders.

If there has been better figures by a fast-bowler during a tour of the West Indies then I'd like to see them. Snow was all class when he wasn't be being shafted by the British establishment, and should have toured more. Why he was left out of the 1974/75 Ashes series beggars belief.

Anyway back to batsman.........
Our selectors loved to actively shaft our talented fast bowlers, see Larwood, Trueman for examples.

watson

Banned
The best against top West Indian & Australian bowlers

Greg Chappell leads the table comfortably from Gooch. His raw average is 58.78 and is slightly reduced with adjustments to 56.69. Interestingly, during this period, Greg Chappell never travelled to West Indies. Gooch has been truly outstanding against West Indies. He averages 44.43 but scored many of these runs against very tough and fearsome West Indian attacks (a la 154 (out of 252) at Headingley). These adjustments have boosted his average to 50.32. These two being the only two to exceed 50. R A Smith is in third place. Gavaskar's high average of 56 is reduced considerably because a number of these innings were against below-par West Indian attacks. His average is 48.31. Mark Waugh averages 46.93 and is slightly ahead of Steve......

As expected, Indian batsmen dominate the table of performances against Australia. Tendulkar is on top with a base average of 56.00 and improves this slightly through the adjustments. Sehwag clocks in next with an average of over 55. Then comes Lara, who has scored the maximum runs of 2856 against Australians at 54.72. Laxman is in fourth position, again with an adjusted average over 53. Chanderpaul rounds off this table with an average exceeding 50. These five batsmen are the only ones to go past 50. The interesting thing is that the top four batsmen also average over 50 in the unadjusted measure. Richie Richardson averages 52 but loses out heavily on the adjustments.

Laxman has outperformed against Australia considerably. Note also how Izaz Ahmad has outperformed against Australia by 25%......

Blogs: The best against top West Indian & Australian bowlers | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
Greg Chappell and Sachin Tendulkar are the stand-out performers against (perhaps) the strongest bowling attacks in history. Consequently, anyone who thinks that Greg Chappell doesn't belong in the top 10 list of ATG batsman really needs his head read.

I was pleasantly surprised by the successes of Robin Smith and VVS Laxman.

Last edited:

sobers no:1

Banned
Greg Chappell and Sachin Tendulkar are the stand-out performers against (perhaps) the strongest bowling attacks in history. Consequently, anyone who thinks that Greg Chappell doesn't belong in the top 10 list of ATG batsman really needs his head read.

I was pleasantly surprised by the successes of Robin Smith and VVS Laxman.
bradman
sachin
sobers
hobbs
viv
gavaskar
lara
hammond
hutton
headley
pollock
barry

thats a dozen

+ grace , ranji and trumper

so you can not make definite conclusions

even if u exclude pontings, dravids , waughs, borders , worrels...etc

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
bradman
sachin
sobers
hobbs
viv
gavaskar
lara
hammond
hutton
headley
pollock
barry

thats a dozen

+ grace , ranji and trumper

so you can not make definite conclusions

even if u exclude pontings, dravids , waughs, borders , worrels...etc
YOU're TOO funny LOL :laugh:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Worth noting too that those Chappell-against-WI numbers don't even include arguably his greatest performance: the WSC series in the Caribbean in 1979 where he scored 621 runs - over 300 more than any other player from either team - against a full West Indian pace attack.

harsh.ag

Chappell was better than Gavaskar for sure. But yeah, no way is he a fix in the top 10.

Bradman, Sobers, Hobbs, Lara, Sachin, Viv, Pollock, Headley, Hutton, Hammond.

Plus, even though we haven't spoken a lot about WG, but if he is included in the poll, he is the answer to the thread's question.