• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best After The Don

Best After the Don

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slifer

International Captain
Im pretty sure Tendy would win. Not because he is necessarily better but for 'obvious' reasons. Almost certain tendy would beat the don too if this pole was made public (for the same reasons)

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Almost certain tendy would beat the don too if this pole was made public (for the same reasons)
Nah thats absolute bull when considering that he's barely leading here...

The fact is that he's in the top 5 batsmen ever in everyone's list (except for "obvious" people)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I've managed to find 4 centuries made by Gavaskar against top-rate West Indian attacks;

236 at Chennai 1983: Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Davis, Harper
156 at Trinidad 1976: Holding, Roberts, Julien, Jumadeen
147 at Guyana 1983: Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Garner
121 at Delhi 1983: Marshall, Holding, Davis, Daniel

Gavaskar scored 4 centuries against a moderate bowling attack during his tour of the West Indies in 1971. He averaged 154 for the series. I haven't done the maths but imagine that his average against them would drop significantly if this tour was subtracted from his CV.

However, he is still a superb opener and the probably THE greatest opening batsman IMO.

Satyanash89

Banned
The "Gavaskar did brilliantly against the best WI quicks" thing is plain and simply not true. He was no better against the quartet than any other great of the era

Satyanash89

Banned
I've managed to find 4 centuries made by Gavaskar against top-rate West Indian attacks;

Gavaskar scored 4 centuries against a moderate bowling attack during his tour of the West Indies in 1971. He averaged 154 for the series. I haven't done the maths but imagine that his average against them would drop significantly if this tour was subtracted from his CV.

However, he is still a superb opener and the probably THE greatest opening batsman IMO.
He did get some great hundreds against then but mostly on absolutely disgraceful roads at home. Still great hundreds, just adding a bit of perspective.
I just find it ridiculous that Crowell thinks Viv wouldn't have been able to do what Gavaskar did.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Im pretty sure Tendy would win. Not because he is necessarily better but for 'obvious' reasons. Almost certain tendy would beat the don too if this pole was made public (for the same reasons)
Yeah, but seemingly most of the people who voted Sobers as the second best had him over Viv, and vice versa

watson

Banned
He did get some great hundreds against then but mostly on absolutely disgraceful roads at home. Still great hundreds, just adding a bit of perspective.
I just find it ridiculous that Crowell thinks Viv wouldn't have been able to do what Gavaskar did.
Incidently, Crowe himself has scored 3 centuries against top-rate West Indian attacks (or close to it);

188 Georgetown 1985: Marshall, Holding, Garner, Butts
119 Wellington 1987: Marshall, Holding, Garner, Walsh
104 Auckland 1987: Marshall, Walsh, Butts, Gray

If Crowe had the same exposure to the West Indies as Gavaskar did then I see no reason why he couldn't have totaled 5-6 centuries against the creme of West Indian fast bowling just like the Indian opener. And if Crowe could probably manage it, then Viv Richards most certainly could if given the opportunity.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Greg Chappell has scored more centuries against top-rate West Indian attacks than any batsman I can find. Admittedly 5 of them came during WSC, and 2 of them were against 'hybrid' attacks that were half West Indian, but I don't think that this diminshes the obvious skill of Chappell against fast bowling;

123 Brisbane 1975: Holding, Roberts, Ali, Gibbs
109 Brisbane 1975: Holding, Roberts, Ali, Gibbs
182 Sydney 1976: Holding, Roberts, Boyce, Julien, Gibbs
124 Brisbane 1979: Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft
174 Perth 1978 (WSC): Roberts, Daniel, Imran, Underwood, Greig
246 Melbourne 1978 (WSC): Roberts, Garner, Daniel, Imran, Greig
150 Port of Spain 1979 (WSC): Holding, Roberts, Croft, Padmore, King
113 Georgetown 1979 (WSC): Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft
104 St Johns 1979 (WSC): Holding, Roberts, Croft, Padmore

IMO I think that this list is better than Gavaskar's, and therefore Greg Chappell should be ranked as one of the best players of fast bowling of all time. And on a near par with Viv Richards.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

I sometimes think the WIs pace attack is a bit overrated by people wanting to compare batsmen who played against them. Yes, they were very very good, but Gavaskar, or Chappell, or any of these guys are very very good batsmen as well.

I rate Greg Chappell incredibly highly as a cricketer. Absolute gun batsman, and one of the greatest slip fieldsmen ever (which is a large consideration of mine in ATG stuff)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

The two scored in the W.I. were also on slow turning decks as well and historically two of the three flattest decks in the W.I., though the ARG only bacame that flat a bit later on.
From the two hundreds in India, he scored one batting at 5 and the other he was caught in the slips early on and was given not out.
Great batsman, yes. Best after Don, not in my opinion.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I sometimes think the WIs pace attack is a bit overrated by people wanting to compare batsmen who played against them. Yes, they were very very good, but Gavaskar, or Chappell, or any of these guys are very very good batsmen as well.

I rate Greg Chappell incredibly highly as a cricketer. Absolute gun batsman, and one of the greatest slip fieldsmen ever (which is a large consideration of mine in ATG stuff)
One of the greatest batsmen ever and one the top 3 slips fielders I have seen. Rate him very highly indeed.

watson

Banned
The two scored in the W.I. were also on slow turning decks as well and historically two of the three flattest decks in the W.I., though the ARG only bacame that flat a bit later on.
From the two hundreds in India, he scored one batting at 5 and the other he was caught in the slips early on and was given not out.
Great batsman, yes. Best after Don, not in my opinion.
When Gavaskar scored his 236 runs he batted at No.4. But since India were 2 wickets for no runs he may as well been opening when he strode to the wicket. Admittedly the pitch was slow, but a double century is still a heck of a lot of runs when the attack involves Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Davis, and Harper. There is also the fact that the next highest score was 72 (Shrastri) and 5 batsman failed to reach double figures - so the pitch couldn't have been that easy to bat on.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63355.html

Is Gavaskar the second best ever batsman though? I don't think so.

Last edited:

sobers no:1

Banned
why is gavasakar so under rated?

nobody faced better attack (OPENING !! ) and did so well in history of the game.
he set very special world records
no prior experience of facing quick balls
only headley (and hadlee among bowlers) reached this kind of heights in batsman ship from an inferior team. (must give more weightage here).

even his last innings was unbelievable

Last edited:

sobers no:1

Banned
Please tell me that your signature is not your top 50.
i knw
bradman 8/9/10 places low - will get 100 % :laugh: / :sleep:

akram / gavaskar - again 100% :laugh: or :@

procter overrated - 95%

imran under rated - 60%

kapil > botham , miller - 70%

warne , hobbs , kallis , - 50%

any serious issues apart from these ^^^

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
i knw
bradman 8/9/10 places low - will get 100 % :laugh: / :sleep:

akram / gavaskar - again 100% :laugh: or :@

procter overrated - 95%

imran under rated - 60%

kapil > botham , miller - 70%

warne , hobbs , kallis , - 50%

any serious issues apart from these ^^^
Gilly's a bit low.

Slifer

International Captain
Nah thats absolute bull when considering that he's barely leading here...

The fact is that he's in the top 5 batsmen ever in everyone's list (except for "obvious" people)
Bro I suggest u go to cricinfo and look at all the comments about second best after the Don. U will see all sorts of absurd arguments by the u know who fans as to y SRT is the greatest ever !!!

L Trumper

State Regular
Bro I suggest u go to cricinfo and look at all the comments about second best after the Don. U will see all sorts of absurd arguments by the u know who fans as to y SRT is the greatest ever !!!
May be on cricinfo, but not on CW. To be honest I am a bit surprised he got more votes than Sobers and Viv here. I think Tendulkar will make into top 5 for all most everyone though. I personally go with Don ---- Sobers, Viv, Tendulkar, Hobbs, Hutton.