• W.G. Grace

4 4.44%
  • Other

2 2.22%
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Best After The Don

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    another interview where Wasim talks about Viv

"You have said that you considered Sir Viv to be the greatest batsman you have bowled to. What was it like to face him as a bowler?

Viv was a different breed. It wasn’t just his batting, it was his aura. Over six feet tall; itnay itnay (these huge) muscles; no sign of any protection; forget arm or chest guards, not even a helmet. So that whole aura was intimidating for a young skinny bowler that I was back then.

However, I still got his wickets a few times. That, I should admit, was also because his greatest days were behind him. I am glad I faced him then and not earlier.

How do you rate him among the modern greats?

While his record is not the same (in terms of numbers), he was the most devastating batsman I have bowled to. It is hard to rate him and compare him with some of the batsmen who came after him. Still, I watched and admired him a lot. When I was growing up, there was only name and that was Vivian Richards.

Playing against the best always gave me inspiration. I would tell myself to prove a point against the big names. If (Ian) Botham was playing, I’d tell myself I must bring him down."

I have intimidated others, never got intimidated myself: Wasim Akram | Cricket | DAWN.COM
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

U19 Debutant
    Sobers - better than Lara and Tendy. Only Viv could give him a real challenge in my view.

U19 Debutant

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovecric View Post
    Sobers - better than Lara and Tendy. Only Viv could give him a real challenge in my view.
    My only issue with Sobers is that he batted at 5 and 6 for so much of his career, even though he averaged so much more at 3 and 4 than any other position.
    But again he spent almost more time at 5 than he spent at 3 & 4 combined and batted at #6 even more often.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    My only issue with Sobers is that he batted at 5 and 6 for so much of his career, even though he averaged so much more at 3 and 4 than any other position.
    But again he spent almost more time at 5 than he spent at 3 & 4 combined and batted at #6 even more often.
    Meh! He batted at 5 & 6 mostly because that is the best for whole team. It is not like he cannot bat at 3 & 4. If that was what needed from him, he would've batted more at 3 or 4. I think Viv from 76-81 is brilliant but Sobers dominated even longer.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L Trumper View Post
    Meh! He batted at 5 & 6 mostly because that is the best for whole team. It is not like he cannot bat at 3 & 4. If that was what needed from him, he would've batted more at 3 or 4. I think Viv from 76-81 is brilliant but Sobers dominated even longer.
    Indeed.

Here is the most compelling statistic for Sobers:

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

In 50 matches, over a ten year period, he averaged 74.09.

Truly remarkable.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

"Neither of them will have an international cricket acareer past 2016."
    Brocky on Martin Guptill and Ish Sodhi. 20/11/2014.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Here are the top 12 batting peaks over 50 matches, along with the time periods (I have adjusted their averages based on strength of opposition and pitch conditions)

1. Bradman 104.13 (97.56) (1928-1948)
    2. Sobers 72.57 (69.67) (1958-1968)
    3. Ponting 73.91 (65.34) (2002-2006)
    4. Waugh 63.13 (64.15) (1993-1998)
    5. Kallis 69.61 (62.65) (2002-2007)
    6. Dravid 68.11 (62.24) (2000-2005)
    7. Hobbs 61.28 (62.22) (1908-1928)
    8. Tendulkar 66.16 (62.22) (1997-2002)
    9. Chanderpaul 67.13 (62.18) (2006-2012)
    10. Hammond 65.80 (61.45) (1928-1936)
    11. Sangakkara 68.49 (61.39) (2006-2012)
    12. Richards 61.96 (60.94) (1976-1984)

As you can see, apart from Bradman and maybe Hobbs, no one has sustained such batting heights over such an extended period of time.

Herbert Sutcliffe 61.66 (1924-1934)

Incidentally, his 4th lowest average in his career. Remarkable consistency.
    Last edited by Coronis; 23-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Kumble the best spinner of the past 25 years? Spare me. And hope that benchy doesn't see this.
    better than kallis being 2nd greatest batsman of alltime

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Please tell me that your signature is not your top 50.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Please tell me that your signature is not your top 50.
    Don't panic; it's not.

It's his top 61.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Don't know about second best batsman of All Time, but deserves be in the discussion now with Sobers and Bradman for the Greatest Cricketer of All Time. For me he is a solid third, but definately in the discussion.
    With regards to pure batting, I fid it difficult to call Barry Richards, Gavaskar or Kallis the second best. For Richards, four tests are simply and totally to little to judge a player and that attack that he plundered could hardly be seen as high quality. The other two just arn't seen as the best of their era, with Kallis for most seen as being behind, Tendy, BCL and Punter.
    Speaking of Ponting, he was seen by some to have improved as the bowling got worse, but at some parts during his run spree, I was saying that he may just be remembered as the best player of his generation, so I guess it subjective. Hammond, was known to dislike short pitched bowling and for the most part of his career didn't have to, but for that reluctance of fast short pitched bowling for me he is more comparable to Everton Weekes than Bradman, and Hammond never faced any bolwers of the calibre of Lindwall and Miller in his test prime.
    That leave me with a top 10 of Hobbs, Bradman, Headley, Hutton, Sobers, Pollock, Chappell, Richards, Tendulkar and Lara.
    From those it can be argued that Headley and Pollock also didn't play enough, and Hutton and Chappell, though undoubably great just didn't take over games and destroy attacks like all of the others were capable of.
    That then leaves me with Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Richards, Tendulkar and Lara, and from here is's purely up to personal taste and it gets really to close to call.

Don't know about second best batsman of All Time, but deserves be in the discussion now with Sobers and Bradman for the Greatest Cricketer of All Time. For me he is a solid third, but definately in the discussion.
    With regards to pure batting, I fid it difficult to call Barry Richards, Gavaskar or Kallis the second best. For Richards, four tests are simply and totally to little to judge a player and that attack that he plundered could hardly be seen as high quality. The other two just arn't seen as the best of their era, with Kallis for most seen as being behind, Tendy, BCL and Punter.
    Speaking of Ponting, he was seen by some to have improved as the bowling got worse, but at some parts during his run spree, I was saying that he may just be remembered as the best player of his generation, so I guess it subjective. Hammond, was known to dislike short pitched bowling and for the most part of his career didn't have to, but for that reluctance of fast short pitched bowling for me he is more comparable to Everton Weekes than Bradman, and Hammond never faced any bolwers of the calibre of Lindwall and Miller in his test prime.
    That leave me with a top 10 of Hobbs, Bradman, Headley, Hutton, Sobers, Pollock, Chappell, Richards, Tendulkar and Lara.
    From those it can be argued that Headley and Pollock also didn't play enough, and Hutton and Chappell, though undoubably great just didn't take over games and destroy attacks like all of the others were capable of.
    That then leaves me with Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Richards, Tendulkar and Lara, and from here is's purely up to personal taste and it gets really to close to call.
    Agree with everything apart from omitting Hutton at the end. He can be attacking if needed. His true value can be measured when you compare him with all other openers of England, he comfortably scored quicker than everyone of them. I'd personally go with Hobbs, Hutton, Sobers, Viv, Sachin as next 5 and Headley, Hammond, Pollock, Chappell, Lara being the closest contenders to them (chronological order).

If I have to rate them, it probably looks like
    Don

Sobers
    Viv
    Sachin
    Hobbs
    Hutton

Hammond
    Pollock
    Headley
    Lara
    Chappell

That is probably my top 1 + 10 list

A pretty nice summation justifying those top 6 batman. Can't say I disagree too much.

My order would be: Bradman > Lara > Sobers > Richards > Tendulkar > Hobbs
    Last edited by watson; 23-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

U19 Debutant
    nicely summarized...i am fan of Tendulkar btw..Complete batsman..

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information