4 22.22%
  • Baxter

10 55.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft League Season 5 Voting Thread

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Thought I'd poll a little better, 8 world class players in there.
    The number of world class players is only one category when people judge a team. Then they bring their own expectations and likes/dislikes which are highly personal/individualistic.Watson's XI has 11 world class players in the side with no obvious weak links - but that fact has only counted for so much;

Boycott - ATG Top 4 English opening batsman
    Hanif - ATG Top 2 Pakistani opening batsman
    Lara - ATG Top 6 best ever middle-order batsman (Possibly No.2 after Bradman).
    Nourse - ATG Top 3 South African middle-order batsman
    Hazare - ATG Top 3 Indian middle order batsman
    Miandad - ATG best ever Pakistani middle-order batsman
    Imran - ATG best ever bowling-allrounder
    Lindwall - ATG Top 3 Australian opening fast bowler
    Hendricks - ATG Top 2 West Indian keeper
    Saqlain - ATG Top 2 Pakistani spinner
    Garner - ATG Top 5 West Indian fast bowler

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Love the bowling and the batting is strong, just feel that apart from Lara it would put me to sleep.

As you said subjective.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    The number of world class players is only one category when people judge a team. Then they bring their own expectations and likes/dislikes which are highly personal/individualistic.Watson's XI has 11 world class players in the side with no obvious weak links - but that fact has only counted for so much;

Boycott - ATG Top 4 English opening batsman
    Hanif - ATG Top 2 Pakistani opening batsman
    Lara - ATG Top 6 best ever middle-order batsman (Possibly No.2 after Bradman).
    Nourse - ATG Top 3 South African middle-order batsman
    Hazare - ATG Top 3 Indian middle order batsman
    Miandad - ATG best ever Pakistani middle-order batsman
    Imran - ATG best ever bowling-allrounder
    Lindwall - ATG Top 3 Australian opening fast bowler
    Hendricks - ATG Top 2 West Indian keeper
    Saqlain - ATG Top 2 Pakistani spinner
    Garner - ATG Top 5 West Indian fast bowler
    I don't like Saqlain in there, but excluding that, clearly one of the best teams. Miandad at 6 says it all.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Love the bowling and the batting is strong, just feel that apart from Lara it would put me to sleep.

As you said subjective.
    I do find your comment interesting kyear and I'm not going to question your perception, because it's your perception.

But how do you know that the batsman would put you to sleep when it is highly unlikely that you have seen any of them bat in real life or on TV, with the exception of Boycott?

Also, I doubt very much whether you can quote their respective Strike Rates off-hand. But even if knew that they were all in the mid-30s doesn't mean that any of those batsman couldn't play an attactive attacking role if asked by their captain. Bradman himself commented that Hazare had all the shots, but restricted himself because he had to prop up the weak Indian middle-order.

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    I don't like Saqlain in there, but excluding that, clearly one of the best teams. Miandad at 6 says it all.
    Prasanna
    Tests = 49
    Wickets = 189
    Ave = 30.38
    SR = 75.9
    5w = 10
    10w = 2

Saqlain
    Tests = 49
    Wickets = 208
    Ave = 29.83
    SR = 67.6
    5w = 13
    10w = 3

As you can see Himannv there's not a lot of difference in the stat's between Prasanna and Saqlain (the only two viable choices in the 9th Wicket clause).

However, I will say that a sub-70 strike rate is pretty damned good for an off-spinner, and quite close to Laker's benchmark of 62.3.

Again, I find it very interesting how people form their opinions, and I don't discount myself from mixing the rational with the emotional either.
    Last edited by watson; 18-03-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Thought I'd poll a little better, 8 world class players in there.
    From what I've found, it isn't so much about the number of ATG players - it's about the strength of your worst.

Most draft sides have 6 or 7 really gun players in them, some more than others, but it's the bottom two or three - the number 6 batsman, the fourth bowler, the part time option - that define things. And IMO despite the quality of 10/11ths of the team, Fawad Alam is letting you down.

And sometimes it can be as simple as not liking certain players. I don't vote for teams that have players banned for match fixing for instance.

I do find your comment interesting kyear and I'm not going to question your perception, because it's your perception.

But how do you know that the batsman would put you to sleep when it is highly unlikely that you have seen any of them bat in real life or on TV, with the exception of Boycott?

Also, I doubt very much whether you can quote their respective Strike Rates off-hand. But even if knew that they were all in the mid-30s doesn't mean that any of those batsman couldn't play an attactive attacking role if asked by their captain. Bradman himself commented that Hazare had all the shots, but restricted himself because he had to prop up the weak Indian middle-order.
    I had said previously that I loved your team, just could only vote for three and all of the top five were pretty much equal, I liked Monk's the most and the other two votes went to the two teams that were closed the relegation, I really liked all five of the teams I mentioned earlier. That being said Hanif and Boycott were not known for setting the world on fire with their strike rates.

As you can see Himannv there's not a lot of difference in the stat's between Prasanna and Saqlain (the only two viable choices in the 9th Wicket clause).

However, I will say that a sub-70 strike rate is pretty damned good for an off-spinner, and quite close to Laker's benchmark of 62.3.

Again, I find it very interesting how people form their opinions, and I don't discount myself from mixing the rational with the emotional either.
    Yeah, not much difference. I don't really look at stats much though, so my opinion is based off the belief that Prasanna is the best among the spinners who played for India during that time and hence he's a more worthwhile pick while it's clear that Tests aren't really the format that Saqlain thrives in.

Anyway, all that is besides the point since I've voted for your team. I rate it quite highly on the whole.

I would say my opinion is mostly emotional though although I do look at rational side on occasion.

Spinners are so hard to judge because the early ones were assisted by poor/ wet pitches and sometimws weak opposition. The spinners from the 50's and the 60's outside of England had to deal with some flat wickets and Ramadin and Valentine after some initial success were over bowled and mis managed. The Indian spinners of the quartet also had to contend with some flat pitches and poor catching and fielding. Due to the fast bowling emergence of the 70's -90's there was a slow down of quality spinners until the emergence of Warne, Murali and to a lesser extent Kumble which makws what they have accomplished and their stats so impressive.

What those Indian spinners did in the 60s-70s was great, but none of them actually changed the way the game is played. Saqlain is also one of those rare cricketers whose legacy will live through generations of bowlers to come because he was the first to use the Doosra. We take it for granted now, but when Saqlain first used the delivery it was revolutionary. That fact has to mean at least something when judging a player.

What those Indian spinners did in the 60s-70s was great, but none of them actually changed the way the game is played. Saqlain is also one of those rare cricketers whose legacy will live through generations of bowlers to come because he was the first to use the Doosra. We take it for granted now, but when Saqlain first used the delivery it was revolutionary. That fact has to mean at least something when judging a player.
    Agree fully, I was more drifting to the point that some of the superb averages of some of the early spinners are a bit exagerated, and with adjustment to more modern conditions may have been a bit closer to 30 and more comparable to the Indian quartet, Saqlain, Gibbs ect. This highlights even more the brilliance of Murali and Warne, especially Warne when one looks at his home and away averages and relative lack of minnows he played againts and why for me his is one of the top two or three bowlers ever to play the game.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    Well done guys; voted for Monk, Kyear and Watson
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information