Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shikhar Dhawan

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I just hope he is not a lazy **** like Sehwag and actually tries to build on his gifts and ensure he can be as successful as he can be around the world.. Post 2007, I thought we will see a different Sehwag, a Sehwag who is willing to work out the best way to score runs quickly wherever he plays but alas, what a false dawn that proved to be!! His 2009 series in NZ still gets me angry. He could have made as much as he wanted if he was so willing. He just kept batting as if he was having nets..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Is his nickname charles?

Simon Champion!
    He was player of the tournament in the U19 WC a long while back IIRC in the same team as Uthappa/Raina etc.... Was always in contention for India spots after that but has been a bit unlucky with clutch innings before selection which likes of Raina, Vijay, Uthappa posted.

Was a big fan since the u19 days, but his technique in FC had some flaws and still does. He struggles with ball coming into him with that shuffle, can be a compulsive puller and also has the knack of throwing away the wicket after getting set. He is a OK'ish batsman i would say, but has been given a debut in his prime pretty much so will be interesting how he carries on.
    Last edited by Cevno; 18-03-2013 at 05:29 AM.

I like this guy. He's knows he's good but he's not cocky at the same time. Quiet confidence. Kinda like amla.

One for the future. If he keeps working hard the sky's the limit.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon28 View Post
    Definitely agree about unorthodox strengths, will be interesting to see how he goes against a different bowling attack with different strategies.....very reminiscent of P Hughes's first knock in RSA i.e. deadly drives resulting in bowlers not knowing where to bowl to him. The challenge for him now will be to progress from this innings. Mendis, Hughes, Duminy and recently Du Plessis have shown that outstanding debuts don't necessarily translate into successful test careers.
    I'd hardly include Du Plessis in that list.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I just hope he is not a lazy **** like Sehwag and actually tries to build on his gifts and ensure he can be as successful as he can be around the world.. Post 2007, I thought we will see a different Sehwag, a Sehwag who is willing to work out the best way to score runs quickly wherever he plays but alas, what a false dawn that proved to be!! His 2009 series in NZ still gets me angry. He could have made as much as he wanted if he was so willing. He just kept batting as if he was having nets..
    Watched Dhawan do some fielding drills during the Hyderabad test. Bloke looked like he did not want to be there, but sometimes that is just the natural body language for people. The fielding coach was maki him run around everywhere so it was obviously tiring, and he does seem like he's generally laconic.

I agree with you though, I too really hope he's not a lazy ****. My first thought was concern when I saw that drill. Can't just be a bloke who stands there and smacks the pill when the going is easy... need more from our openers without Dravid/Laxman and soon Sachin in the middle order.

That being said, on the actual match day Dhawan seems a pretty decent fielder.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I'd hardly include Du Plessis in that list.
    Need to be patient when it comes to Du Piss since he has only just started. But he has been piss against a rubbish and inexperienced Pakistani Test attack on home soil.

Dhawan won't last, imo. But the best of luck to him. It'd be great if he is the new Sehwag, but I really doubt it.

International Vice-Captain Contra's Avatar
    I hope people realize that Dhawan isn't a Sehwag replacement, he might have played an innings that we would normally expect from Sehwag (strike rate wise) but he's not someone who tries to strike at 100+ every single innings. I'm sure Dhawan surprised himself with how fast he ended up scoring in the end. He's not in the Sehwag mould.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Need to be patient when it comes to Du Piss since he has only just started. But he has been piss against a rubbish and inexperienced Pakistani Test attack on home soil.
    After a crazy few first series, one failure of a series and he's in the list?

Righto.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    After a crazy few first series, one failure of a series and he's in the list?

Righto.
    Did you even read what I posted? I said patience is required before judging him (his career has just started). Then I said he was piss against a crap Pak attack, which is a fact!!!

State 12th Man
    The debut innings vs Aus was just sheer awesomeness .....the confidence, the strokes, all amazing ........

I had seen quite a bit of him in IPL and wasn't impressed. His domestic record, though decent, is nothing "special"

If people expect innings at that strike rate from him, they will be sorely disappointed. Granted that innings was one that sehwag would be proud of, but on average, he's nowhere that aggressive/attacking ......

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    This sums it up very well

The Sehwag issue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information