Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: First Test Ton You Saw Live

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    May have been others if i really think, but memory suggests Robin Smith 149* vs Windies at Lords. Can still remember Ambrose bowling 4 successive bouncers and some murderous square cuts of the like you will rarely see.

Or was Atherton's ODI ton earlier in the year? Maybe that was the one with the 4 bouncers. About 40 minutes to get off the mark.
    *BRUTAL* ROBIN SMITH 148* vs WEST INDIES 1991 2nd test - YouTube
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Yeah loved The Judge, too young to really remember him as a test player really apart from when he got his jaw broken but watched him for so many years for Hampshire.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Yeah loved The Judge, too young to really remember him as a test player really apart from when he got his jaw broken but watched him for so many years for Hampshire.
    Always seemed to be willing to have a yarn when I lived down on the South Coast and had to attend Hampshire games rather than Essex ones. Made a habit of wandering around the ground, or at least the Pavilion at the Rose Bowl and would be happy enough for a chat. What a top guy!
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Yeah remember him chatting away for ages when he was fielding on the boundary at Basingstoke.

Ambrose probably bowled 4 bouncers in a row at several batsmen

I agree that The Judge will not be rated as highly as he deserves. Great player to watch.

If I was building the perfect batsmen (of those I've seen) Robin Smith would provide the square cut.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Charles Bannerman 165, 1877

Greg Chappell's 180 odd v WI in 1976 at Sydney.

1st ODI ton I think was. Gordon Greenidge one at the SCG in about 79-80 vs England. Think it was a final.
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-03-2013 at 02:29 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Charles Bannerman 165, 1877
    This joke is getting really old.

Almost as old as Burgey.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Grant Flower in this match (saw the first one live, not the second one). Left me with the impression that Grant was the better of the Flower brothers for several years.

1st Test: Zimbabwe v New Zealand at Harare, Sep 18-22, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Were you there on holiday?

Were you there on holiday?
    Nah, lived there from 1995 to 1999 (before the embassy got closed because of Mugabe's bat****tery). Got all the autographs of both the NZ and Zim players at a function at the beginning of the tour. I was kind of on cloud 9, so I was a bit over excited and inarticulate, to the point were Chris Cairns said I was talking like Beavis from Beavis & Butthead.

Chris Harris was awesome though he spent ages talking to me about his career. Alistair Campbell was all class too.

115 by no one less than everybody's favorite Kevin Pietersen, five years ago, against New Zealand; an innings during which there was also quite some partnership with Tim Ambrose.

England eventualy won that game by an innings and some change. The subsequent ODI series (expecially the 4th ODI, the one about Grant Elliott's runout/Swann missing the stumps on a suicidal last ball run by Gillespie) is one of the biggest reasons of myself following/playing the game; as of today, I rate only the last test in the last WI tour of India and the Hobart win against Oz as comparable to that one dayer.

Which makes me write something that you'll have difficulties hearing anyone above 10 saying today: THOSE WERE THE DAYS. I often hear that cricket was better in the '80s, or in the '90s... no, cricket was better whenever you first started following the game, and so got yourself very attached to the players of the period; and to hell whoever thinks that Gautam Gambhir isn't the greatest batsman ever
    It's the pitch, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Nah, lived there from 1995 to 1999 (before the embassy got closed because of Mugabe's bat****tery). Got all the autographs of both the NZ and Zim players at a function at the beginning of the tour. I was kind of on cloud 9, so I was a bit over excited and inarticulate, to the point were Chris Cairns said I was talking like Beavis from Beavis & Butthead.

Chris Harris was awesome though he spent ages talking to me about his career. Alistair Campbell was all class too.
    Pretty cool experience. How do people get invited to such functions? I've had freebies to the game in corporate boxes and stuff, but a player function... That's something else.

Pretty cool experience. How do people get invited to such functions? I've had freebies to the game in corporate boxes and stuff, but a player function... That's something else.
    Yeah, don't know if they still do them these days. I only got invited along cause my mum was the ambassador.

I remember that Parore behaved like a stuck up dick. Was really disappointed, because he'd been my favourite player up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Yeah, don't know if they still do them these days. I only got invited along cause my mum was the ambassador.
    Bloody hell, that would have been a tough gig back then. Did you get booted out of the country or anything dramatic like that?

Bloody hell, that would have been a tough gig back then. Did you get booted out of the country or anything dramatic like that?
    No, it was just the end of our posting, but the embassy did close about 6 months after we left due to worsening relations. Was pretty scary at times during the last year there, lots of food riots and police violence. We were all glad to be leaving, which was terrible because the first 2 and a half years there were wonderful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information