• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Test Ton You Saw Live

JBMAC

State Captain
The first Test ton I saw was Bradman's 187 vs England in November 1946 at The Gabba.He teamed with Lindsay Hassett who also scored 120 odd in the same innings. So you could say I got 2 for the price of 1 :D:D:D

Capt Blackadder

Cricket Spectator
I am not sure I used to go to Boxing Day tests all the time so that I think that would mean my answer would be

Boon 1995 Boxing Day test

or Ricky Ponting 1997 Boxing Day test

adub

International Captain
Steve Waugh's ton at 3 New Years SCG 93 against Windies. Lara's 277 was the next couple of days.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I checked through the first dozen or so Tests I went to, and no tons were scored on the days I attended. The closest would have been Mike Atherton being run out for 99.5 at Lords in 1993.

I have a feeling, though I'll have to think about it a bit more, that the first Test century I saw was Nasser Hussain's effort in Andrew Strauss' first test:

1st Test: England v New Zealand at Lord's, May 20-24, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

That's a little bit sad, as I'd been to a reasonable number of Test matches by then.

greg

International Debutant
May have been others if i really think, but memory suggests Robin Smith 149* vs Windies at Lords. Can still remember Ambrose bowling 4 successive bouncers and some murderous square cuts of the like you will rarely see.

Or was Atherton's ODI ton earlier in the year? Maybe that was the one with the 4 bouncers. About 40 minutes to get off the mark.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Never seen a ton at any of the 4 Tests I've been to. All been bowlers' days, except in Cardiff, which was mostly rain.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
May have been others if i really think, but memory suggests Robin Smith 149* vs Windies at Lords. Can still remember Ambrose bowling 4 successive bouncers and some murderous square cuts of the like you will rarely see
An amazing innings. History will unfortunately see Smith hidden in the shadows and he will not be remembered as he should be. A fantastic player against the quicks.

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
Judge was an awesome batsman of fast bowling and I used to imitate him when I was a kid... ( high backlift )

Wish robelinda can upload some more of Judge's knocks.